OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 07:59:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possession  (Read 1195 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: April 07, 2005, 11:02:48 PM »

Strange question...I was thinking today about some people that I've come across in my life who were just awful people.  Nothing nice to say about anyone else.  No respect for others.  Generally just hurtful people.  And I started wondering if some of these people are possessed. 

I once suspected that someone I knew on-line was possessed.  This person was crazy.  But what was really creepy is that she knew exactly how to get at someone.  She seemed to be able to 'sense' in some way people's vulnerabilties and weaknesses.  It was bizarre.  I wondered at the time if she had some sort of demonic influence going on. 

Possession sounds like something out of a horror movie but I wonder if it's more common than we imagine.  I also wonder how many people we come across in our daily who have some sort of evil spirit in them.  (gosh! this makes me sound whacko!) 

An RC priest once told me about some people he knew who went camping in the middle of nowhere.  They weren't Catholic at the time and decided to play around with some black magic stuff.  It wasn't serious but when they came back all of them reported strange occurences.  Finally they went to a priest who blessed them and all of the weird things stopped.  This priest thought that they'd somehow 'picked up' an evil spirit while out in the boonies playing with black magic and that the spirit had followed them back. They weren't possessed but still affected.  This priest said that the middle of nowhere is more dangerous because so many parts of inhabited areas have been blessed that evil spirits have been driven to the country.  He was a trad RC priest so might have been a little strange. 

Ever since I heard that story I've been a little more careful about where I go and who I hang around with.  That's not to say that I don't associate with certain people but I do wonder if these evil spirits are out there attaching themselves to certain people and places and if we're not careful we might 'catch' them. 

I was certainly glad to get my apartment blessed.  Back when I was RC whenever I moved into a new apartment I'd always flick a little holy water around, just in case. 

Do I sound totally nuts?  Has anyone else ever thought about this? 
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 01:17:56 AM »

Possession sounds like something out of a horror movie but I wonder if it's more common than we imagine.  I also wonder how many people we come across in our daily who have some sort of evil spirit in them.  (gosh! this makes me sound whacko!)

Not at all, you are right! I think "posession" in a more historical sense is quite different than it is viewed today. Most people look at possesion as an all or nothing thing were you either are possesed or you are not. Demonization can have different "degrees' to it from everything from tempting to outright possesion. I don't view outright possesion in a more western (more specifically protestant) sense that a demon is in your physical body controlling you. I beleive the possesion takes place outside of the body through the persons soul which is the 'gateway' to the person themselves. The soul also does not have it's boundaries within the physical body but something that encompesses the whole person. I think that people who have a gift of discernment can really understand this quite easily because it's something that becomes apperant when coming accross this often as you describe. This is one of the gifts I think God has given me and sometimes (more than often) when I walk into a room with other people I can get a strong impression that really affects me if someone's 'energy' is not of good intentions.

An RC priest once told me about some people he knew who went camping in the middle of nowhere.  They weren't Catholic at the time and decided to play around with some black magic stuff.  It wasn't serious but when they came back all of them reported strange occurences.  Finally they went to a priest who blessed them and all of the weird things stopped.  This priest thought that they'd somehow 'picked up' an evil spirit while out in the boonies playing with black magic and that the spirit had followed them back. They weren't possessed but still affected.  This priest said that the middle of nowhere is more dangerous because so many parts of inhabited areas have been blessed that evil spirits have been driven to the country.  He was a trad RC priest so might have been a little strange.

I think the priest made some good points and it does ring true from my experience. I grew up in the hills on a ranch when I was younger and had some very bad experiences. I had on a few occasions demons appear out of nowhere before me and it was the most horific thing that happened to me. Others in my family also experienced the same thing and we sold our house and got the hell out of that place. We found out later that we may have been in an area frequented by native americans a long time ago and I think that could have had something to do with all the supernatural activity. I don't think you are crazy at all and this is a common thing I think among christians but people just don't talk about it out of fear of looking really nutty. You may have a very strong gift in this area and this is why you get these impressions and feelings in different situations like you described. If you are also in certain areas you may also be discerning different principalities also. This happened to me more recently when I went to a family reunion with my father in Oregon. When we started to pass though Grants Pass I started to have intense emotions and I felt really conflicted to the point where it was even physically affecting me. This has happened to me before on some occasions and I think it has to do with certain powerful principalities either associated with certain geographic locations or sins of people in that location. Well, to make a long story short here my dad really noticed my mood changed and asked what was wrong. I told him that there is something very weird or different about this place we were passing through and then he told me that Grants Pass was a haven for druids, witches, hippies and other occult type activities.   

I was certainly glad to get my apartment blessed.  Back when I was RC whenever I moved into a new apartment I'd always flick a little holy water around, just in case.

Yea, holy water is an essential. It's really good to have it when you travel also and if you have to stay in a hotel it helps to douse the room to make sure it is "clean" if you know what I mean.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
fennik

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 02:28:15 AM »

Well ill tell you right now, i can read poeple and how they act and know what there thinking, im not a mind reader but by there actions and there subconcious actions i can tell what a person wants by just how they look. It's wierd i know, but there are really smart poeple out there, very aware of poeples feeling and can manipulate them, just think, a very smart person who can manipulate poeple and has not found God and is 'evil' can do horific things. Thats between them and God.

NULL
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 05:10:41 AM »

Jennifer,

I don't think you're mad for believing in possession either. I do too, though I don't usually mention it in secular company - because non-religious people tend to think you've lost your marbles especially if, like me, you're a psychologist. I certainly would never have mentioned my belief whilst working in a hospital. Having said that, if an Orthodox Christian were to come to me with a problem that I thought might be demonic in origin, I'd certainly reommend they saw a priest. Even if it wasn't, talking to a priest could do no harm and beliefs are powerful things even from a strictly psychological standpoint.

I've seen a lot of strange things during my life that may have been demonic and I've seen the results of Orthodox exorcisms in Romania. It really isn't just unscientific medieval throwbacks who believe in possession. It's just a shame that the medical and psychological professions are generally too materialistic to even consider the possibility.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Justionios

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 10:27:30 AM »

Jennifer U don't seem crazy at all.  We all have to follow your example,

Did you now that if we used have the blessing from our spiritual leader will improve our relsults everywhwere.

ΧΑΙΡΕ ΑΝΟΡΘΡΩΣΕΙΣ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ , ΧΑΙΡΕ Κ
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 10:09:15 PM »

Demonic possessions do occur, and I see no madness at all in discussing this subject seriously.

In my country I've saw a number of things in this field. Brazil has been strongly influenciated both by African religions (there is a local form of Voodooism called Candombl+¬) and by Spiritism (a doctrine based in a channeling technic developed by the Frenchman Allan Kardec in the XIX century). There is also a mix of both faiths called Umbanda. Candombl+¬, Umbanda and Spiritism have many million believers each, so Brazil is a haven to these kind of phenomena, an Empire of Prelest'. A number of my relatives are Spiritists.

I think that all these "religions", from an Orthodox point of view, are soul-destructive technics of playing with demons.

And unfortunately they do work. In these cults, normally the demon does not appear to the possessed as such, but rather often it pretends to be a god or demigod (in religions such as Candombl+¬, Voodooism etc.) or the soul of a beloved departed one (in practices such as Spiritism). The climax of the experience of possession (the "ecstasy") is always deep and fulfilling. Usually the demon rewards the possessed with some "gifts", so the possessed become impressed with his new powers and tend to regard the process as good and beneficial to him -- hence he gets further and further involved in it. I've saw possessed people who were able to predict future events, to say what was happening in distant places, to write letters in behalf of departed ones (unknown to them but known to their consultants only) in which many private details of the life both of the consultant and the departed were mentioned, etc. Interestingly, the most "gifted" a practicioner of such cults is, the most unpleasant is the general atmosphere surrounding him.

These are the most spetacular cases of possession, but there are many others, subtler ones. As Nacho said, there are many degrees of demonic possession. There are people -- and not few people -- who simply have a disturbing spiritual presence.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 03:40:00 PM by Felipe Ortiz » Logged
Photon

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 03:09:06 PM »

I agree that the subject of demonic possession is viewed askance by most people, even by a lot of people who, by their avowed faith, should have no doubts. That does serve to inhibit open discussion by those of us who have had demonic encounters.

I will share this. I attended a Pentecostal Church about 25 years ago, where I was baptized as an adult. During a service one night, a woman struggled in and sat down in a rear pew. After a short time, she suddenly jumped out of the pew and flew up towards the altar, where she seemed to be thrown down (but maybe she fell). She started writhing like a snake, as if there wasn't a joint in her body. The front two pews were emptied immediately, everyone holding her down, and the Pastor didn't even waste time walking around the pulpit. He leaped right over the top of it, and immediately cast the 'thing' out of her. I didn't actually see the demon come out, because people were shoulder-tight all around her. But I saw it come right between two of them, and then it stopped. At that point, apparently, I was the only one in the Church who could see it. I don't know the reason for that. But it came right over to me and pressed itself against me, growling. I felt a coldness that was beyond frigid, from this thing, and the stench was enough to make me reel. It felt as though my sinus' had sulfuric acid and much worse in them. But most hair-raising of all was the horrific filth that I felt, a rot so rotten it was supernaturally filthy, and humans have yet to invent words to adequately describe it, because I have never been able to do so. It made some threats that were empty (the Scripture, "Greater is He who is in you, than he who is in the World", applied). Then, it went right out through the South wall. Had anyone, up to that time, asked me to describe a demon, I would have said something like a red monster with horns, exhaling smoke, and the like. But this thing was built like a 'stick-man', with a head like a sausage and two beady black eyes about a quarter-inch apart. It seemed to be in the process of disintegrating even as it stood there, losing pieces of itself.

I have met people who have what I can only describe as an 'aura' reminiscent of the caste that surrounded that demon. It is not a sensory assault, but a spiritual one - as his was, really.

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: