OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:09:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Ruthenian Recension"  (Read 316 times) Average Rating: 0
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« on: April 22, 2014, 10:45:22 PM »

I've seen mention of the "Ruthenian Recension" of the liturgy practiced mostly by the Rusyns of ACROD and the Ruthenian Catholic Church a couple of times on this forum, but things I've read about it elsewhere confuse me. On this forum I've seen it referred to as a codification of the liturgy, possibly by St. Peter Mohyla, which predates the Nikonian reforms and therefore is presumably connected in some way to the Russian Old Rite. Elsewhere I've seen it used to describe the Byzantine Rite liturgy codified by the Ukrainian and/or Ruthenian Catholic Churches in the 19th and 20th centuries, which sounds like a completely different beast. Which is it? If the former, what are the differences between it and the more general Slavic practice, before and after Patriarch Nikon?

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »

Strictly speaking the Ruthenian Recension refers to the liturgical books produced at Rome from from 1940-1973 at the request of the Greek Catholic bishops of what are now the Ukrainian, Rusyn, Slovak, Hungarian, and Croatian Greek Catholic Churches.  Long story short, all available manuscripts were consulted both pre-Nikonian and Nikonian.  When pre-Nikonian texts agreed they were followed, when they didn't, Nikonian use prevailed, so in some instances Ruthenian practice agrees with the Old Rite, in others the Nikonian.  The request was made in order to purify the usage of Latinizations which had been adopted after the unions.  In general, where Ruthenian Use differs from Nikonian the Ruthenian use is more ancient.  It should also be noted the Old Rite itself accepted some reforms prior to Patriarch Nikon's, so it does not always reflect the more ancient usage itself.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Regnare
Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »

Would it be possible to give examples of where the pre-Nikonian use was followed?
IIRC, ACROD is composed of former Greek Catholics. Does it use a version of the Ruthenian Recension, then?

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »

Would it be possible to give examples of where the pre-Nikonian use was followed?
IIRC, ACROD is composed of former Greek Catholics. Does it use a version of the Ruthenian Recension, then?
Halych, Carpatho Rus, Slovakia, Hungary, basically all those Slavs outside of Imperial Russia who would become Greek Catholics.

Yes ACROD uses it, as does the UOC-USA as they were former Greek Catholics too.

Regnare
Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »

Halych, Carpatho Rus, Slovakia, Hungary, basically all those Slavs outside of Imperial Russia who would become Greek Catholics.
Sorry, I meant to say "would it be possible to give examples of what part of the Ruthenian liturgy follows pre-Nikonian practices?"
Is the same true of the UOCC(anada)? As far as I can tell from Wikipedia, it sounds like the Ukrainians up here were never Catholic.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »

The differences are often subtle but the ones that I can remember of the top of my head:
Ruthenian Vespers:
8 Prayers of Light
Unique Entrance Prayer
Ruthenian Liturgy
Use of Paschal Antiphons on Sundays
Litany of Fervent Supplication has fewer petitions
Great Entrance petitions are done differently
No Troparia at Epiclesis
No prayers when placing Gifts in Chalice

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »

The UOCC was more UAOC I believe but they too had former Greek Catholics. 

Regnare
Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »

Thanks very much, DL.
I've also heard that ACROD had to Hellenise some of their practices (i.e., as opposed to Slavic, not Latin) when they went under the EP. Is this at all true? Did it also happen with the Ukrainians, in Canada or the US?

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »

Not that I am aware.  The Ruthenian Use is closer to Greek Use in some ways.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:08 PM »

Sorry, I meant to say "would it be possible to give examples of what part of the Ruthenian liturgy follows pre-Nikonian practices?"
Is the same true of the UOCC(anada)? As far as I can tell from Wikipedia, it sounds like the Ukrainians up here were never Catholic.
You mean, never under the Vatican?  Most were-the Ukrainians held a Sobor under Met. Shehadi (Patriarchate of Antioch) in 1919 (IIRC) and repudiated the false union of Brest.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »

Not that I am aware.  The Ruthenian Use is closer to Greek Use in some ways.

That is true. Slovak Orthodox liturgy practice and ours are virtually identical and similar to Greek usage for Liturgy, but other Slavic rubrics (such as Holy Week services) apply. A mixed bag.

We obviously do not use the so called "Ruthenian Recension" as applied to the 1940/1972 Greek Catholic publications, the practices in question in Orthodox usage are  indigenous to some west Slavic groupings. The chart here - http://www.unmercenary.com/chant/gldivlit.html - summarizes the main differences. The first and second antiphonal chants are as in Greek practice, but we chant the Beatitudes. The  "devotional Communion hymns" are not sung during the Communion of the clergy, but rather when the faithful approach. Also the proper for the clergy communion varies as prescribed by the Typicon for feastdays etc...

These are no different than other minor practice differences which exist across the Orthodox world among, from, and within, differing national or ethnic groups.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:13:58 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: