OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:27:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Bible  (Read 196 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« on: April 22, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »

Hi all,
just wanted to know your opinion on this study Bible http://books.google.lt/books?id=KAh2OOGPsMMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Orthodox+Bible+Study&hl=lt&sa=X&ei=D51WU7vIIqS24wTPpIDIAw&ved=0CDgQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=Orthodox%20Bible%20Study&f=false

Basically, Im looking for an easy to read and study Orthodox Bible, in easy to understand English language.

Thanks

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »

Really that is your best, and perhaps only, option. The nkjv is easy enough to read, there is some basic commentary and short essays or write-ups, and so far as I recall the other Orthodox Bibles in English are not really study bibles in any significant sense (the possible exception being the Holy Apostles Convent edition, but that's not nearly as easy to read). Like any Bible translation/edition there are shortcomings, but I would think that it would work quite well for most people.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:35:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »

Agreed.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »

This is a common topic here, so you might want to review these threads, the first of which is quite recent:

Orthodox Study Bibles

Orthodox Study Bible: OO and EO perspectives

Evidence of neo-Protestantism in the Orthodox Study Bible (A discussion of the merits/shortcomings of the OSB's study materials. I neither affirm nor deny the title of the thread.)

Orthodox Study Bible (A 2003 discussion of the NT only edition)

As I usually do with these discussions, I caution the reader to not take too seriously the posturing about which translation is best and to instead consider which Bible they are more likely to read often, regardless of study notes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:36:27 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »

And again I will say that it should be available online free as are the other commentary Bibles. I am sorry I cannot do more to make this happen, however maybe God willing.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Tags: study 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: