OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:34:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Bible  (Read 1178 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and still learning

« on: April 22, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »

Hi all,
just wanted to know your opinion on this study Bible http://books.google.lt/books?id=KAh2OOGPsMMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Orthodox+Bible+Study&hl=lt&sa=X&ei=D51WU7vIIqS24wTPpIDIAw&ved=0CDgQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=Orthodox%20Bible%20Study&f=false

Basically, Im looking for an easy to read and study Orthodox Bible, in easy to understand English language.

Thanks

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »

Really that is your best, and perhaps only, option. The nkjv is easy enough to read, there is some basic commentary and short essays or write-ups, and so far as I recall the other Orthodox Bibles in English are not really study bibles in any significant sense (the possible exception being the Holy Apostles Convent edition, but that's not nearly as easy to read). Like any Bible translation/edition there are shortcomings, but I would think that it would work quite well for most people.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:35:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »

Agreed.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »

This is a common topic here, so you might want to review these threads, the first of which is quite recent:

Orthodox Study Bibles

Orthodox Study Bible: OO and EO perspectives

Evidence of neo-Protestantism in the Orthodox Study Bible (A discussion of the merits/shortcomings of the OSB's study materials. I neither affirm nor deny the title of the thread.)

Orthodox Study Bible (A 2003 discussion of the NT only edition)

As I usually do with these discussions, I caution the reader to not take too seriously the posturing about which translation is best and to instead consider which Bible they are more likely to read often, regardless of study notes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:36:27 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »

And again I will say that it should be available online free as are the other commentary Bibles. I am sorry I cannot do more to make this happen, however maybe God willing.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:15 PM »

I have a copy of the Liturgical NT with the Sayings of the Fathers.
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »

Really that is your best, and perhaps only, option. The nkjv is easy enough to read, there is some basic commentary and short essays or write-ups, and so far as I recall the other Orthodox Bibles in English are not really study bibles in any significant sense (the possible exception being the Holy Apostles Convent edition, but that's not nearly as easy to read). Like any Bible translation/edition there are shortcomings, but I would think that it would work quite well for most people.

There is always the option of study + the Bible.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Aquensis

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:04:45 PM »

I bought the e-reader version of this when it was on some kind of sale, expecting it to be much like any other "study bible" but oddly enough there is nothing really "study bible" about. What there are are EXTREMELY sparse study notes, like maybe every 40 or 50 pages.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »

I advocate the Eastern Orthodox Bible/EOB.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:39 PM »

All footnotes in the Orthodox study bible are about how everything is a type of Christ. End of study. That said, I still use the actually translation most often. Just ignore the footnotes.
Aquensis

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:18:57 AM »

All footnotes in the Orthodox study bible are about how everything is a type of Christ. End of study. That said, I still use the actually translation most often. Just ignore the footnotes.

So basically just as good as any other NKJV.
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 12:31:43 AM »

So basically just as good as any other NKJV.

Or as poor.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Tom

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:20:23 AM »

I'm not a great fan of study bibles.  I'd rather let the text speak for itself.    My favorite bible is the RSV bible:  http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408705731&sr=1-2&keywords=revised+standard+version+bible.  I haven't been able to find a good, modern, conservative and Orthodox translation of  the Septuagint.  I plan to start reading Fr. Lawrence Farley's book this fall: http://store.ancientfaith.com/orthodox-bible-study-companion-series/.

The links in Agabus' post cover the most common objections to the Orthodox Study Bible. 
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

I'm not a great fan of study bibles.  I'd rather let the text speak for itself.    My favorite bible is the RSV bible: 

The annotations in this Bible are full of exegesis far more distracting than anything in a study bible.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »

I'm not a great fan of study bibles.  I'd rather let the text speak for itself.    My favorite bible is the RSV bible: 

The annotations in this Bible are full of exegesis far more distracting than anything in a study bible.

What is a Study Bible?

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 12:42:12 PM »

What is a Study Bible?

The Happy Meal of spiritual nourishment.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=youth+study+bible&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCG&nav_search=1&cms=1&switch_view=covers

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »

What is a Study Bible?

The Happy Meal of spiritual nourishment.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=youth+study+bible&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCG&nav_search=1&cms=1&switch_view=covers

Smiley

I know about Study Bibles and have a few.  My question to Alveus was more about his comment regarding the exegesis in the notes of a particular version.  I think it would be difficult to find a Study Bible without exegesis in the notes.  Otherwise what should the notes be? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
andrewlya
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and still learning

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »

I find exegesis in the Study Bible interpreted very spiritually, or sometimes even philosophically I'd say.

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »

The OSB has it's issues but it does try and fill a need for a liturgically and theologically sound translation of Scripture that doesn't sound like a self help seminar when read in Church.  There is a large degree of truth also in the assertion that it is essentially a big tract aimed at Protestants. Since a lot of current Orthodox in English speaking lands are converts it sort of speaks to that corner of the Church and can serve as a bridge from a protestant experience and understanding of scripture to an Orthodox one.

My biggest gripe with it is its internal layout...especially its typography/fonts.  It is not eye friendly. Needs a serious redesign.
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »

The OSB has it's issues but it does try and fill a need for a liturgically and theologically sound translation of Scripture that doesn't sound like a self help seminar when read in Church.  There is a large degree of truth also in the assertion that it is essentially a big tract aimed at Protestants. Since a lot of current Orthodox in English speaking lands are converts it sort of speaks to that corner of the Church and can serve as a bridge from a protestant experience and understanding of scripture to an Orthodox one.

My biggest gripe with it is its internal layout...especially its typography/fonts.  It is not eye friendly. Needs a serious redesign.

I won't pretend I and my wife are average converts -- I don't know -- but I do know I have a similar problem with this Bible as with most of the Conciliar Press tracts. My life has been saturated with Protestant-style apologetics -- the last thing I want to see is more of the same style supposedly in the service of Orthodoxy. Actually, it's a major turn-off.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »

Phronema.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Tom

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 07:15:37 AM »

The Psalms are especially hard to read. 
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 01:09:39 AM »

I won't pretend I and my wife are average converts -- I don't know -- but I do know I have a similar problem with this Bible as with most of the Conciliar Press tracts. My life has been saturated with Protestant-style apologetics -- the last thing I want to see is more of the same style supposedly in the service of Orthodoxy. Actually, it's a major turn-off.

I am a lifelong Greek Orthodox, and I was introduced to the study Bible at our weekly Bible study with our priest around the time that it was first published, I never heard any of these type of problems till right now, so I see it from a different side of the matter.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 01:21:18 AM »

I am a lifelong Greek Orthodox, and I was introduced to the study Bible at our weekly Bible study with our priest around the time that it was first published, I never heard any of these type of problems till right now, so I see it from a different side of the matter.

Which is very generous and only appropriate. It is good to be hardest on ourselves and our ways, and kindest to others and their ways. Thus the lifelong Orthdox will see what is good in, say, a Peter Gillquist, and the convert will see what is good in rural Greek piety -- and hopefully by this philadelphia and holy unity can prevail.

Tom

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »

Which is very generous and only appropriate. It is good to be hardest on ourselves and our ways, and kindest to others and their ways. Thus the lifelong Orthdox will see what is good in, say, a Peter Gillquist, and the convert will see what is good in rural Greek piety -- and hopefully by this philadelphia and holy unity can prevail.

Amen!  Converts and cradle, ethnic Orthodox need to compliment each other.
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »

I greatly appreciate the positive and uplifting response.

I also see in your response what should be how we act towards people of other faiths(in bold). It seems IMHO to be the biggest stumbling block towards doing what the Lord Jesus said was most important command after loving God.

Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »

mistake.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:47:37 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

Tags: study 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: