OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:47:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this normal for Holy Saturday?  (Read 1245 times) Average Rating: 0
gus

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 01:45:54 AM »

I can remember the vesperal DL of Pascha being celebrated outside the altar, on top of the Epitaphios at the Koubouklion when I was younger, in my parish church in Athens, Greece. I asked the priest why they did this and he told me that during Holy Saturday the Koubouklion represents the tomb of the Christ as does the Altar during every DL, but they would always use an Antimension with relics of Saints on top of the Epitaphios as neither the Epitaphios or the Koubouklion are consecrated. The practice has stopped during the last few years and the main altar is used instead, although the practice is still quite common in many greek parishes. I think it originated during a period of "Liturgical renewal" because they wanted the laypeople to feel closer to the DL so it was a kind of "Liturgical Seminary" that happened once a year.
methodius
Elder

Faith: orthodox - OCA
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 02:03:10 AM »

pretty pictures, though.....

kyrie eleison
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

OCA would explain it.  Aren't they a bunch of converted Greek Catholics out East?  Possibly a "U" practice.
Nope, we don't do that.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »

In Jerusalem DL is routinely celebrated in the tomb, the remnant of the stone covering the entrance serving as the altar, the place where Christ lay serving as the Proskemedia table.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 10:42:14 PM »

In Jerusalem DL is routinely celebrated in the tomb, the remnant of the stone covering the entrance serving as the altar, the place where Christ lay serving as the Proskemedia table.

Latinisers...they're even celebrating versus populum.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2014, 11:00:46 PM »

Thanks Father; I tend to be a 'nit-picker' at times.
My apologies for stating the obvious.
Christ is Risen!

I have another word for this as "nit-picker" isn't an accurate representation of a obvious pompous slight at another member of the forum, especially a priest.  You really don't think that this priest, a graduate of Holy Cross, knows "Catholic" means "Universal" hence why the OC is the "Catholic" Church?  I had to respond to this...

Anyway, I think this is very interesting and being Antiochian I've never seen it done as Father pointed out.  I am surprised though since I wouldn't think the DL would said outside of the sanctuary but I think it's a nice tradition.  It's another ritual that symbolizes the extraordinary nature of the Paschal season.

Formerly known as "mctavix"
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »

Thanks Father; I tend to be a 'nit-picker' at times.
My apologies for stating the obvious.
Christ is Risen!

I have another word for this as "nit-picker" isn't an accurate representation of a obvious pompous slight at another member of the forum, especially a priest.  You really don't think that this priest, a graduate of Holy Cross, knows "Catholic" means "Universal" hence why the OC is the "Catholic" Church?  I had to respond to this...

Anyway, I think this is very interesting and being Antiochian I've never seen it done as Father pointed out.  I am surprised though since I wouldn't think the DL would said outside of the sanctuary but I think it's a nice tradition.  It's another ritual that symbolizes the extraordinary nature of the Paschal season.

Actually in the original Greek the word Catholic means full or wholeness. It was first used by St. Ignatius of Antioch to mean that when the Church gathers with the Bishop or a Priest appointed by the Bishop serves the Divine Liturgy nothing is lacking in what it means to be fully Church. That is one reason why we must have an antimision signed by our Bishop upon which to serve the Divine Liturgy.

Fr. John W. Morris
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »

Latinisers...they're even celebrating versus populum.
However, it is a local practice that has a reason. Christ has left the tomb, so that is why the liturgy is served facing outwards. In all other altars, including the altar of the Katholikon in the selfsame Church of the Resurrection, the Liturgy will be served normally facing the altar table and the high place.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »

However, it is a local practice that has a reason. Christ has left the tomb, so that is why the liturgy is served facing outwards. 

My comment about Latinisers was meant as a joke.  I hope this is, too. 

ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2014, 11:58:50 PM »

Fine, I get your point. But I don't know anyone outside the Jerusalem Patriarchate who serves on the Epitaphios at the centre of the temple. The litanies, Apostol, and Gospel may be sung in front of the epitaphios, but the anaphora and other liturgical actions happen in the altar proper.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »

It's funny, originally I thought this practice was more "Slavic" than "Greek", but most of the photos I come across are the latter. 

Antiochians:

Tags: Holy Saturday Great and Holy Saturday Saint Basil the Great Liturgy of St. Basil Epitaphios Plashanitsa Burial Shroud Antimension Antimins 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: