OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 07:05:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Narratives of Our Lord’s Passion and Resurrection read one day earlier?  (Read 149 times) Average Rating: 0
MiniCooperS1275

Faith: Traditional Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Traditional Roman Catholic

« on: April 20, 2014, 10:27:23 PM »

Greetings to all.

I am new to this, so please excuse me if the question appears odd, or if the answer to it is obvious.

I noticed that for Holy Week, the 12 Gospels of Our Lord’s Passion are read on Holy Thursday instead of Good Friday, and the narrative of Our Lord’s Resurrection is read on Holy Saturday instead of Easter Sunday. Is there a reason for this one-day offset (if it is, in fact, considered an offset)?

Thanks.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:33:25 PM »

The Bridegroom Matins are performed in the evening in anticipation of the following day (e.g. Palm Sunday night services are the Holy Monday matins, etc.)

These services are translated to the evening to facilitate attendance by the faithful.  There is a Vesperal Divine Liturgy on Holy Thursday to commemorate the institution of the Eucharist.  The service can take place at 6:30 AM or 2:00 PM to facilitate attendance by those faithful interested in receiving Communion.

There is no Divine Liturgy on Good Friday.

On Holy Saturday, the service is a Vesperal Divine Liturgy referred to as the first Resurrection.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:34:44 AM »

Greetings to all.

I am new to this, so please excuse me if the question appears odd, or if the answer to it is obvious.

I noticed that for Holy Week, the 12 Gospels of Our Lord’s Passion are read on Holy Thursday instead of Good Friday, and the narrative of Our Lord’s Resurrection is read on Holy Saturday instead of Easter Sunday. Is there a reason for this one-day offset (if it is, in fact, considered an offset)?

Thanks.

It isn't truly a one-day offset since liturgically a day is "sundown to sundown." It's similar to Jews, if you recall that their Sabbath observances start Friday night and they're free to do whatever come Saturday night. As such, Holy Saturday's night is actually (liturgically) Easter Sunday. I believe Vespers brings a liturgical day to its end, but I may be wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:40:20 AM »

I believe Vespers brings a liturgical day to its end, but I may be wrong.

Vespers starts a liturgical day at sundown.  Example, a church, when it has its feast day, has Vespers on the evening before the actual feast since sundown is the beginning of the Liturgical day.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:49:33 AM »

I believe Vespers brings a liturgical day to its end, but I may be wrong.

Vespers starts a liturgical day at sundown.  Example, a church, when it has its feast day, has Vespers on the evening before the actual feast since sundown is the beginning of the Liturgical day.

Oh okay, that makes sense and helps explain Vesperal-Liturgies.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: