OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:06:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing liturgy and the psalms  (Read 263 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: April 20, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »

Christ is risen!

When one misses liturgy, how many kathismata should he pray? Are there any in particular that he should pray or can he choose whichever?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 03:01:52 PM »

Truly he is risen!

When one misses liturgy, how many kathismata should he pray? Are there any in particular that he should pray or can he choose whichever?

I'm unaware of any "rule" concerning this, so I'd say it's up to you.  On occasions when I can't make it to Liturgy, I read the Office and add the day's readings and some appropriate hymns toward the end. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »

Christ is risen!

I'm not familiar with such a rule, but there is a tradition of praying the Jesus Prayer a number of times in lieu of saying an hour or an office like Vespers or Orthros.  Don't know how many for each.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »

Christ is risen!

Whenever we cannot attend the Divine Liturgy, my husband and I chant/pray the Reader's Typica. We chant the appropriate troparia and kontakia, and we also include the readings from the Bible. One can also pray the Divine Liturgy, but then substitute "Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy" for any priestly prayers of the Holy Service.

Praying the Kathismata is lovely, usually three are recommended, but one does not get the sense of the Liturgical cycle. If one is stranded without a Bible, then reciting the Jesus Prayer is also recommended. A priest told me that reciting the Jesus Prayer 300 times is appropriate. This I did while in the hospital with pneumonia on Pascha years ago. I could not sleep due to all the beeping monitors anyway, so I timed the Jesus Prayer to the beat of those monitors.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:51:07 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »

I found the practice in the back of an old rite prayer book, but it only has rules for the daily cycle. 3 kathisma for matins, 1 for most else. Maybe Hawkeye would know more.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »

There is information and official prayers in the back of the NKJV Orthodox NewTestament Bible.
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Priestless Old Belief
Jurisdiction: Betwixt Antioch and familiarity

"The Emperor Alexander died at Taganrog."

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 12:18:34 AM »

I found the practice in the back of an old rite prayer book, but it only has rules for the daily cycle. 3 kathisma for matins, 1 for most else. Maybe Hawkeye would know more.

Unfortunately, as priestless Old Believers, we don't have much to do with the Divine Liturgy these days, so stuff on that it probably not so easy to find.

You likely saw the practice in the Old Orthodox Prayer Book printed by the Church of the Nativity in Erie, Pennsylvania, which I just so happen to have lying around. I checked the Rule of Domestic Prayer which it cited but it likewise only includes the Daily Cycle. Nobody around me seems to know where else to look.

Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:26:17 AM by Hawkeye » Logged

Quote from: Leo Tolstoy to Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich
[W]hatever was hidden behind the name of the hermit Feodor . . . let historical evidence fail to connect Alexander with Kuzmich, the Legend lives in all its beauty and sincerity.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »

Right, I forgot that the Old Rite does not really have Divine Liturgy. I even noticed that the Church of the Nativity did not have presanctified liturgies during Holy Week, and I wondered if this was an actual pre-Nikonian custom or a holdover from the raskol days.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: