Author Topic: Dormition as a name day  (Read 3111 times)

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
Dormition as a name day
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
Are there any names common among Orthodox people which have the Feast of the Dormition of Mary as a name day?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
Re: Dormition as a name day
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »
"Mary".
Proverbs 22:7

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »
"Mary".

Mary/Maria, Despina, Panaghiota/Panaghiotis.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: ELCA
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:46:16 PM »

I was told by my Orthodox priest it was impious to take Mary as ones patron saint?
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."   - Martin Luther

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »

I was told by my Orthodox priest it was impious to take Mary as ones patron saint?

lol
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 11:02:29 PM »

lol

I've been told that in the Russian tradition people do not take the Theotokos as a patron, but are named only after other Marys, but that it is common in other Orthodox traditions. So if this small "t" tradition is all someone has been exposed to I didn't think so crazy for someone to get this idea, albeit misinformed. If you want to laugh at somebody for their silly ideas take me: there is also the small (t) tradition that Godparents can't be married to each other (now or in the future) so when I was visiting a parish of another jurisdiction for a baptism and the Godparents were a married couple, I was internally horrified at the spiritually incestuous nature :o

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 11:11:05 PM »
Godparents were used in the Greco-Roman world to form inter-familial ties, so maybe that accounts for the origin of the tradition.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:13:21 PM by Daedelus1138 »
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."   - Martin Luther

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:39:49 PM »

lol

I've been told that in the Russian tradition people do not take the Theotokos as a patron, but are named only after other Marys, but that it is common in other Orthodox traditions. So if this small "t" tradition is all someone has been exposed to I didn't think so crazy for someone to get this idea, albeit misinformed.

If Russians don't take the Theotokos as a patron, that's one thing, but to accuse those who do of impiety is rather ridiculous.  Just my opinion. 

If you want to laugh at somebody for their silly ideas take me: there is also the small (t) tradition that Godparents can't be married to each other (now or in the future) so when I was visiting a parish of another jurisdiction for a baptism and the Godparents were a married couple, I was internally horrified at the spiritually incestuous nature :o

That's a bit more than small t. 
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

An Athonite

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »
While he did not explicitly say it was "impious", that was my impression based on the tone.   

I had a friend who had joined a Serbian Orthodox parish in Kansas and he told me that they don't even have personal patron saints, and when he converted it was not an issue that came up (I honestly didn't want a particular patron saint at all, but when I contemplated being called "Mary" at communion it was a bit too much).

I wonder if my parish was a bit hyperdox.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:54:19 PM by Daedelus1138 »

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 11:55:40 PM »
While he did not explicitly say it was "impious", that was my impression based on the tone.   

So he didn't use that word, but you're assuming he would have based on his "tone?"  What word(s) exactly did he use?
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 11:58:12 PM »
So he didn't use that word, but you're assuming he would have based on his "tone?"  What word(s) exactly did he use?

I'm trying to remember... I think he said "the only patron saint you should not take is Mary.  That is not done"  He also told us that we would be called that name at Communion. 

I actually was thinking of maybe taking St. Mary of Paris as a patron saint but I always found the idea of being called Mary at communion awkward to imagine.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 12:54:09 AM »

I had a friend who had joined a Serbian Orthodox parish in Kansas and he told me that they don't even have personal patron saints, and when he converted it was not an issue that came up (I honestly didn't want a particular patron saint at all, but when I contemplated being called "Mary" at communion it was a bit too much).

I wonder if my parish was a bit hyperdox.

The Serbs have a different tradition, one of an entire male line or family having a patron of the day their village converted from paganism centuries ago.

Google Slava for more.

But it's not a less pious tradition nor does it make those who take a saint's name at adult baptism 'Hyperdox'. They seem to manage that regardless of naming convention
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 01:37:13 AM »

lol

I've been told that in the Russian tradition people do not take the Theotokos as a patron, but are named only after other Marys, but that it is common in other Orthodox traditions. So if this small "t" tradition is all someone has been exposed to I didn't think so crazy for someone to get this idea, albeit misinformed.

If Russians don't take the Theotokos as a patron, that's one thing, but to accuse those who do of impiety is rather ridiculous.  Just my opinion. 

If you want to laugh at somebody for their silly ideas take me: there is also the small (t) tradition that Godparents can't be married to each other (now or in the future) so when I was visiting a parish of another jurisdiction for a baptism and the Godparents were a married couple, I was internally horrified at the spiritually incestuous nature :o

Greeks even take the Lord as their patron, so taking the Panagia is definitely not verboten.
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 02:05:19 AM »
Are there any names common among Orthodox people which have the Feast of the Dormition of Mary as a name day?

Maria, Mariana, Marian, Mariela, Mara, Mario, Mika, Masha, Panaiot, Mira, Preslav, Preslava, Marina, Marin and Mariika.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:29:00 AM by Indocern »

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 02:51:35 AM »
Despot and Despota also.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 03:07:19 AM »

What is patron saint?

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 03:10:48 AM »

lol what
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 03:12:20 AM »

What is patron saint?
God bless you!
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 03:41:52 AM »

What is patron saint?
God bless you!

Yes I understood what is patron saint, it is like as for country to be st. Ivan Rilski. He is protecting our people. We have many other saints, but he is protector of our people.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:02:39 AM by Indocern »

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 08:30:23 AM »

lol

If Russians don't take the Theotokos as a patron, that's one thing, * but to accuse those who do of impiety is rather ridiculous.  Just my opinion. 

*That's a bit more than small t.

* This was the point I was trying to make, while understanding how someone could mistakenly come to that conclusion.

* Is it? See even more I didn't know that you can laugh at me for ;D. Are you aware I'm talking about Godfather and Godmother, not other relations between the baptized or the Godparents offspring
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:32:35 AM by Bob2 »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »

lol

Greeks even take the Lord as their patron, so taking the Panagia is definitely not verboten.

Dormition, Nativity and Pascha account for about half the name day celebrations in the country. :D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 09:38:19 AM »
"Mary".

Kim (for Kimisis)
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 09:44:40 AM »
* Is it? See even more I didn't know that you can laugh at me for ;D. Are you aware I'm talking about Godfather and Godmother, not other relations between the baptized or the Godparents offspring

The restrictions are between a person and their relations through the font - no marriage with their godparent, godsiblings (children of the godparent), or between koumbaroi (the parent of the baptized and the godparent).

As for a married couple standing together to be godparents for a person entering the faith - it's a nice image and all, but technically there is only one sponsor.  It has been the custom among aristocracy and royalty to have many honorary godparents, and a number of us "normal folk" choose to have that, but really only one person's name goes on the certificate and in the registry books.
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, & godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope & glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed & purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.  Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. (Titus 2:11-15)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »
The restrictions are between a person and their relations through the font - no marriage with their godparent, godsiblings (children of the godparent), or between koumbaroi (the parent of the baptized and the godparent).

I once found a list from the Georgian (I believe) website about when marriage is prohibited. If that list was commonly used I don't believe a marriage of two people from a 200-dwellers-village would be possible at all.

speaking of that, a ban of marriage between the godparents seems to live in the people's mentality (despite not being officially listed in the Church documents and being a fairly popular motive in folk songs). similarly for the marriage of people being godchildren of the same person.

As for a married couple standing together to be godparents for a person entering the faith - it's a nice image and all, but technically there is only one sponsor.  It has been the custom among aristocracy and royalty to have many honorary godparents, and a number of us "normal folk" choose to have that, but really only one person's name goes on the certificate and in the registry books.

I believe that's only representative for Greek tradition.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »

I don't know about the Greek tradition abroad, but in Greece it is encouraged to have a married couple as sponsors. (I'm not sure about the only one name on the certificate bit; I believe mine cited both.) They are seen as surrogate parents, should something happen to the biological ones, and at least until recently, the law gave them precedence over grandparents and other relatives when it came to custody issues.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
That sounds a lot like western churches.  Both my Methodist sponsors were married, they were my mom and dad's family friends.  That is the usual custom.  My actual "godparents", though, were my aunt and uncle that were childless, and both Roman Catholic.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2016, 11:59:08 PM »

Here is the guidance our parish has received from our priest, not suggesting this is the only tradition.
The choosing of Godparents if very important. The Godparents should be chosen with this in mind: that at the untimely death of the parents one of the Godparents would raise the child. Also, Godparents should participate in the spiritual upbringing of the child by making sure that the parents bring the child to Church regularly. Someone may be your good friend, but at the same time not make a good Godparent. The Godparents should be of an upstanding moral character, regular churchgoers, and not living in violation of the Church’s canons. The Godparent must be an Orthodox Christian. One Godparent of the same gender as the child is mandatory, a second (of the opposite gender) is optional. The two Godparents cannot be married to each other at the time of the baptism or in the future, as the spiritual bond of the Godparent with the child being baptized supercedes any possible bond between the two Godparents.

I've heard it stated that the purpose was to expand the resources available to the baptized by having two families responsible for assisting in the spiritual welfare of the child.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 12:36:21 AM »
I've heard it stated that the purpose was to expand the resources available to the baptized by having two families responsible for assisting in the spiritual welfare of the child.

ftfy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:36:48 AM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 02:21:42 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 06:52:47 AM »
"Mary".

Kim (for Kimisis)
Never heard of it, is it a Greek-American custom to name girls, Kimisis?
Another pious tradition (small t) in rural Greece is that unmarried women celebrate their name-day (Maria, Despoina, Panagiota) on November 21, and all the married Marias, Despoinas, Panagiotas, on August 15.

I don't know about the Greek tradition abroad, but in Greece it is encouraged to have a married couple as sponsors. (I'm not sure about the only one name on the certificate bit; I believe mine cited both.) They are seen as surrogate parents, should something happen to the biological ones, and at least until recently, the law gave them precedence over grandparents and other relatives when it came to custody issues.
That is true although they do not have the right to legally adopt the child/children, they remain ανάδοχοι. Grandparents on the other hand have the right to legally adopt their grandchildren
Ἦχος Πρῶτος

Τέχνη μελουργός, σούς ἀγασθεῖσα κρότους
Πρώτην νέμει σοὶ τάξιν, ὦ τῆς ἀξίας
Ἦχος ὁ πρῶτος μουσική κληθείς τέχνη
Πρῶτος παρ'ἡμῶν εὐλογείσθω τοῖς λόγοις.
Τὰ πρῶτα πρῶτε τῶν καλῶν λαχῶν φέρεις
Πρωτεῖα νίκης πανταχοῦ πάντων ἔχεις.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 07:00:59 AM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:07:46 AM by Indocern »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »
"Mary".

Kim (for Kimisis)
Never heard of it, is it a Greek-American custom to name girls, Kimisis?

Maybe someone names their daughter "Kim(berly)" and then looks for a name day for her.   

An Athonite

Offline iohanne

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »
This isn't a very eastern name and I'm unsure as to its orthodoxy but I believe Asunción is an old-timey Spanish name that refers to the corresponding Latin feast of the end of Mary's earthly life.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »
I once found a list from the Georgian (I believe) website about when marriage is prohibited. If that list was commonly used I don't believe a marriage of two people from a 200-dwellers-village would be possible at all.
[/quote]

The villagers do not marry each other. They marry from certain other villages. And, by the way, this is an extremely ancient practice that can be found in many places around the world.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »

I don't know about the Greek tradition abroad, but in Greece it is encouraged to have a married couple as sponsors. (I'm not sure about the only one name on the certificate bit; I believe mine cited both.)

We encourage the same often times - but still only one of their names goes on the certificate.  The point is, of course, moot with a married couple - they are "one," so if one is listed on the certificate they are both still the godparents.

They are seen as surrogate parents, should something happen to the biological ones, and at least until recently, the law gave them precedence over grandparents and other relatives when it came to custody issues.

Tell me about it.  My grandfather was raised by his godparents after his parents died (he was 10), and my father brought his godson (and the godson's sister) into our house when their father was unable to raise them.  We take being sponsors very seriously in our family tree - in this case, the Water of baptism is truly "thicker than blood."
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, & godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope & glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed & purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.  Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. (Titus 2:11-15)

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 08:19:54 PM »
Here is the guidance our parish has received from our priest, not suggesting this is the only tradition.

The choosing of Godparents if very important. The Godparents should be chosen with this in mind: that at the untimely death of the parents one of the Godparents would raise the child. Also, Godparents should participate in the spiritual upbringing of the child by making sure that the parents bring the child to Church regularly. Someone may be your good friend, but at the same time not make a good Godparent. The Godparents should be of an upstanding moral character, regular churchgoers, and not living in violation of the Church’s canons. The Godparent must be an Orthodox Christian. One Godparent of the same gender as the child is mandatory, a second (of the opposite gender) is optional. The two Godparents cannot be married to each other at the time of the baptism or in the future, as the spiritual bond of the Godparent with the child being baptized supercedes any possible bond between the two Godparents.

That could well be true.  I was baptized by two people (but only one name on the certificate) who were not married to each other (and in turn they married other people).  It meant I had two sets of godparents growing up, which was a double blessing because each couple was "strong" in a different element of the Orthodox life.