OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 01:03:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blessing oneself  (Read 1533 times) Average Rating: 0
Rilian

OC.net

« on: April 06, 2005, 02:09:13 PM »

I went to salutations for the first time at a friends GOA church last Friday.  The service was beautiful, but one thing I noticed is that when the priest blessed or censed the people, many crossed themselves while he was doing it.  I thought this was a little odd, though it didn't bother me.  I only say I thought it was a little odd because I have always been told one doesn't bless oneself when the priest is blessing you.  Is this just a matter of custom?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 02:56:56 PM »

Bad habit, but rarely if ever corrected by a GOA priest.
They should bow to accept the blessing.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 05:42:53 PM »

I've seen this in OCA churches too. 

Justionios

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 06:53:35 AM »

What is GOA and OA church ?

We don't they do the cross-sign to thank god for the blessing,

ΧΑΙΡΕ ΑΝΟΡΘΡΩΣΕΙΣ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ , ΧΑΙΡΕ Κ
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 07:05:20 AM »

GOA - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
OCA- Orthodox Church in America

Because it is not proper.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 07:57:36 AM »

Because it is not proper.

I had to smile when I saw this...I think you need to be clearer. If we look at the exchange in the last two posts, it seems like you are saying that it's not proper to thank God for a blessing! I know that's not what you mean, but it is rather funny.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 09:00:15 AM »

I had to smile when I saw this...I think you need to be clearer. If we look at the exchange in the last two posts, it seems like you are saying that it's not proper to thank God for a blessing! I know that's not what you mean, but it is rather funny.

Direct questions deserve direct answers...but I see your point.
Try this: the bow is in thanks of for the priest or bishop blessing you by placing the sign of the cross upon you.
Clearer?

Anyway, is small issue, if that even.

icxn
Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 09:38:52 AM »

The cross is not just a sign for blessing oneself. And in this case it is a gesture of accepting the blessing of the priest... but my question is how did you allow your mind to notice what the other people were doing...? I think you need to cross yourself more often my friend Rilian...

Hey, I'm saying this in a friendly manner Smiley

icxn

PS. Rebuke not evil [men], lest they should hate thee: rebuke a wise [man], and he will love thee. (Pr. 9:8 )
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 09:40:01 AM by icxn » Logged
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 12:38:32 PM »

I went to salutations for the first time at a friends GOA church last Friday. The service was beautiful, but one thing I noticed is that when the priest blessed or censed the people, many crossed themselves while he was doing it. I thought this was a little odd, though it didn't bother me. I only say I thought it was a little odd because I have always been told one doesn't bless oneself when the priest is blessing you. Is this just a matter of custom?

To my knowledge you are supposed to cross yourself and bow when you are blessed with a cross, icon, gospel book, or any other holy thing. However when the priest blesses you with his hands or incense then you are to merely bow. However I have observed others from Romania who cross themselves whenever a blessing is given. I simply go with the custom I mentioned above because that is what I was taught and it makes sense to me. While I do think it would be nice to have some uniformity about this I am not really bothered by it.
Rilian I would be more concerned if you went to a church and nobody bowed before the chalice or was talking during the homily. Small things like this usually get resolved on their own.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:28 PM »

People cross themeselves so often and at so many different times, how the heck did you notice? I don't think it's wrong you noticed, but, dang. Sometimes I just cross myself because . . . I feel like it. Sometimes the priest says something or I may lose focus and try to bring myself back to what's going on, whatever, and I cross myself. I hope you don't come to my church and see me! You would get really confused as to why and when I make the sign of the cross! Grin

I'd like to add that, while I understand it's not proper, it's not like showing up to church in a mini-skirt, jeans or a t-shirt.  If it's an honest mistake, so what?  Yeah, they should bow.  Sometimes I get carried away and make the sign of the cross without even thinking about it.  It just happens. 

Making the sign of the cross can mean many things, by the way.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 01:33:33 PM by cizinec » Logged

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: