OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The First-Created Man: Seven Homilies by St. Symeon the New Theologian  (Read 4094 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: April 06, 2005, 01:28:37 PM »

I have finished reading Genesis Creation and Early Man and I truly enjoyed it. As soon as I have enough money, I will order this book on the traditional understanding of Adam and the fall:

"The
FIRST-CREATED
MAN

by Saint Symeon the New Theologian

Translated by Fr. Seraphim Rose

THIRD EDITION

THE FIRST-CREATED MAN is a collection of seven homilies which deal with Adam’s fall and our redemption by Jesus Christ.

A knowledge of the beginning and end of all things is essential for us to understand the purpose of our existence here on this earth, and what lies beyond it. For a true interpretation of the first and last things, we must turn to those teachers who beheld the beginning and end in a state of divine vision. Among these great seers was St. Symeon the New Theologian (949-1022): he speaks of the mysteries of the beginning and end precisely because he has seen them.

St. Symeon’s profound homilies on Adam and the future age give the theological foundation for the Christian life of struggle. The original state of man from which Adam fell tells of our deepest nature, of which our present fallen nature is a corruption that is to be overcome; and the future state of blessedness is the goal to which our Christian struggle is aimed, and to which we can attain, by God’s grace, despite our fallen state.

“Adam did not wish to say, ‘I sinned,’ but said rather the contrary of this and placed the blame for transgression upon God Who created everything ‘very good,’ saying to Him, ‘The woman whom Thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree and I ate.’ And after him, she placed the blame on the serpent, and they did not wish at all to repent and beg forgiveness of Him.”

—St. Symeon, Homily 45

These homilies of St. Symeon have been selected, translated, and introduced by Fr. Seraphim Rose with the aim of reconnecting modern man with the ancient understanding of the true purpose of life.

124 pages, illustrated, full-color cover, paperback, $8.00
ISBN 0-938635-11-5"
http://stherman.com/catalog/chapter_eight/FCM_book.htm

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 01:30:07 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »

Matthew I hope you like the book! I have read it several times and I think it is probably one of the best Patristic works on the Mystery of Redemption. I would not be quick to use it for polemical reasons and I am glad you wrote that you have gotten tired of discussing Fr.Seraphim's book which shows why you cannot be Orthodox and believe in Evolutionism. It is indeed very tiring because most people do not want to think that something they had to go through hurdles to make compatible with Christianity could be wrong. That would make all the hurdle jumping they did useless and they don't want to admit that. Of course some people just believe in Evolution and are blind to how incompatible it is to Orthodoxy.
The writings of St.Symeon the New Theologian show just how necessary belief in real Adam and Eve who lived in an incorrupt Paradise is to the Orthodox understanding of Redemption through Jesus Christ. Again Matthew I hope you reconsider the heresy you are currently mired in. I can understand your confusion but you should at least remember that St.Symeon, like all saints, was Orthodox and consider the faith of the Non-Chalcedonians a heresy.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 11:22:13 AM »

Is the christology of St. Cyril of Alexandria and the Council of Ephesus a heresy? If so, then I must be a heretic.  Afro

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 11:22:25 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 09:28:22 PM »

Again Matthew I hope you reconsider the heresy you are currently mired in. I can understand your confusion but you should at least remember that St.Symeon, like all saints, was Orthodox and consider the faith of the Non-Chalcedonians a heresy.

::giggles::

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: