OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:22:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which path to church unity?  (Read 521 times) Average Rating: 0
vasily
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox church in america

« on: April 09, 2014, 08:50:31 AM »

Which path to church unity? Recognition or reception?

The following website contains an interesting article on church unity and the Orthodox position.

http:// orthodoxyandheterodoxy.org

There are other interesting  articles also.

I do not understand when I preview my post that some web links take and others do not. Confused!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »

It's because you have an extra space in the URL address.

http:// orthodoxyandheterodoxy.org

http://orthodoxyandheterodoxy.org

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »

One point that was not mentioned in the studies cited, is that God calls who He will, and that part is most important.The fact is that some have not been called yet by Him in His way.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
vasily
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox church in america

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »

The article discusses "which path to church unity". It discusses the Orthodox position as related to the heterodox. For those who haven't been called by God, it is the responsibility of the church to go forth and teach the Word. The Orthodox Church has taught for centuries of her existence that Truth is to be found in Holy Scriptures as interpreted by Holy Tradition and in the writings of the Church Fathers. It is also to be found in the Creed and statements promulgated by various Church councils.Orthodoxy sees Truth as protected in the Canons and Divine worship. Orthodoxy maintains the living Faith of the Apostles, and is the very criterion of  Christianity that was established by Jesus Christ Himself.

Many have been called by God but preach and teach various "ways" foreign to the true faith.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:04:09 AM »

There is One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.  If you want in, come and see.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »

There is One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.  If you want in, come and see.

Let worry about our own set of circumstances before we try obtaining unity with the Heterodox.  American cross jurisdictional problems for one, OOC for another, the resolution of the Eastern Catholic churches as well. 
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »

Banned for acting like God.

(oh sorry wrong forum angel)

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »

Let worry about our own set of circumstances before we try obtaining unity with the Heterodox.  American cross jurisdictional problems for one, OOC for another, the resolution of the Eastern Catholic churches as well. 

Good idea, but please note that the last one isn't part of your set of circumstances. It's our set of circumstances.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:08:24 PM »

Good idea, but please note that the last one isn't part of your set of circumstances. It's our set of circumstances.

I can see your point, but it would be a problem IF the RCC instructs the ECC to assimilate into the Orthodox Faith with centuries of set beliefs it may be difficult for them to adjust.....just saying.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:46:43 PM »

Don't worry, the Antichrist will take care of it.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »

I can see your point, but it would be a problem IF the RCC instructs the ECC to assimilate into the Orthodox Faith with centuries of set beliefs it may be difficult for them to adjust.....just saying.

Alright, that's fair (just-saying or otherwise Wink). However, please rest assured that this EC plans to stay Catholic. Smiley

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
isaelie
Warned

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 10:20:28 PM »

fish n chips  police
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: