OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 07:54:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Athonite vestments"?  (Read 434 times) Average Rating: 0
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »

I was watching a video of a Vigil service at Vatopedi monastery on Mt. Athos (at least that's what it looked like; I speak no Greek). I was somewhat surprised to see what looked like Russian vestments on all of the clergy: all the priests had high-backed phelonia, and all the deacons had single oraria, instead of automatically getting double ones regardless of rank. Do all clergy on Mt. Athos wear this style of vestments? Are high-backed phelonia older than low-backed, fitted ones, and if so, when did the change happen?
Another thing I noticed was that some of the priests had stoles that were all of one piece, rather than being divided and buttoned together, which I thought was interesting since that's how Oriental Orthodox stoles look, apart from Ethiopians who seem to have adopted the divided stole as well.
For reference, here's the video from Vatopedi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7hEEWtj5M
And here's a photograph of priest's vestments made in the "Athonite" style by Kh. Krista West: http://www.kwvestments.com/images_priests_athonite/priests_athonite103.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:34:56 PM by Regnare » Logged

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »

I was watching a video of a Vigil service at Vatopedi monastery on Mt. Athos (at least that's what it looked like; I speak no Greek). I was somewhat surprised to see what looked like Russian vestments on all of the clergy: all the priests had high-backed phelonia, and all the deacons had single oraria, instead of automatically getting double ones regardless of rank. Do all clergy on Mt. Athos wear this style of vestments? Are high-backed phelonia older than low-backed, fitted ones, and if so, when did the change happen?

Don't quote me on this, but I read somewhere that the use of "Russian vestments" in Athonite monasteries had to do, at least in some cases, with the fact that they were gifts from Russia.  The Russians gave what they knew, and the monasteries put them to good use.  Did that inspire an "Athonite" style of vestments somewhere down the line?  It's possible, but I can't say.  I'm not sure, though, that "high-backed phelonia" are older than "low-backed phelonia".  It would be interesting to find out if older icons provide a clue. 

I suspect, though, that some usages are older.  For example, I think the single orarion for deacons (as opposed to the double oraria in use in modern Greek and Arab tradition) is definitely older: it is common to the diaconate in Slavic Byzantine, Syriac, Armenian, and Roman (and other Western) traditions.     

Another thing I noticed was that some of the priests had stoles that were all of one piece, rather than being divided and buttoned together, which I thought was interesting since that's how Oriental Orthodox stoles look, apart from Ethiopians who seem to have adopted the divided stole as well.

The "one-piece" stole for priests is a predominantly Coptic and West Syriac practice.  Ethiopians may use both forms (I really don't know), and I'm pretty sure I've seen Armenians use both forms (though I'm not sure if one form is more common). 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:42 PM »

I'm not sure, though, that "high-backed phelonia" are older than "low-backed phelonia".  It would be interesting to find out if older icons provide a clue. 

The low-backed phelonion is definitely the older and "universal" type, as amply demonstrated in the iconographic record. Great numbers of sainted bishops as well as priests are shown wearing them, before the introduction of the sakkos for episcopal use.
Regnare
Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »

One other difference I noticed is that Russian phelonia are generally shorter in front, terminating just above the zone, while Athonite high-backed phelonia, like their low-backed Greek counterparts, fall to about the level of the wrists.

Thanks, LBK; I didn't remember seeing any non-Russian icons with saints wearing high-backed phelonia (I'm not sure how you'd wear an omophorion with one anyway), but I'm by no means an expert.

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »

They also have processional umbrellas on Athos like the Ethiopians, but they are a totally different style. I saw them once in a video, and know nothing about them.
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »

One other difference I noticed is that Russian phelonia are generally shorter in front, terminating just above the zone, while Athonite high-backed phelonia, like their low-backed Greek counterparts, fall to about the level of the wrists.
According to the typikon and athonite paradosis ,Ieromonachos should cover their hands by the front piece of Phelon in some points of service.And they also should "put down" and “elevate(fix with buttons )"the e front piece of Phelon in the specified case of service.
Elpidophoros
Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »

They also have processional umbrellas on Athos like the Ethiopians, but they are a totally different style. I saw them once in a video, and know nothing about them.
such umbrella be called "ουράνια(haven)",I think it originally belonged to the Empress of Byzantine.
Regnare
Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »

According to the typikon and athonite paradosis ,Ieromonachos should cover their hands by the front piece of Phelon in some points of service.And they also should "put down" and “elevate(fix with buttons )"the e front piece of Phelon in the specified case of service.
Thank you for clarifying. Perhaps Russians used to do this too, but eventually decided to just skip the buttons and make it shorter all the time. What parts of the service require the front part to be elevated?

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »

I think that it is related to the moments when the priest has to handle the gifts, but I am not sure. I also wonder if those vestments had strings to tie the Aer to.
Elpidophoros
Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 09:12:29 AM »

Thank you for clarifying. Perhaps Russians used to do this too, but eventually decided to just skip the buttons and make it shorter all the time. What parts of the service require the front part to be elevated?
Generally speaking, the priest ‘up’ his phelon when he need to carefully handle the Gifts (during Proskomide;receiving and giving Holy Communion and so on). On some points ,he cover his hands by phelon in order to show a deep fear and awe for example: the priest bring out the Gospel Book with hands coverd by Phelon in the sunday Matins for faithfuls' veneration.
Regnare
Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »

Thanks.
Does anyone know why most Orthodox priests aren't required to do this? After all, most Orthodox priests wear the low-backed phelonion, which has the longer front, but as far as I know they have no buttons to lift up the front of it with. Is it only in the typikon which the Athonite monks use?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: