OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Place Your Bets Ladies and Gentlemen.... Who's going to be the next pope?  (Read 4784 times) Average Rating: 0
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« on: April 05, 2005, 01:26:11 PM »

For your amusement... or maybe outrage...

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=45&id=520

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&selectvcgrp=23733&category=SPECIALS&selected_bir_index=
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 02:41:04 PM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 01:55:31 PM »

Who of them is a Benedictine? I place my bet on him.

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 02:22:54 PM »

Sorry I am laughing too hard to place a bet!

desertrose

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me .

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 03:10:30 PM »

What is the problem with a Benedictine?(asking from sheer ignorance)
What are the desired qualities for the next "Bishop of Rome" besides an Orthodox/Eastward facing heart?
I've been reading all kinds of stufff that makes it sound like a horserace and a few more serious articles that
have actually seriously discussed candidates and their qualifications. It sounded like the late Pope was a surpirzimg
choice when he was elected. Do the cardinals actually make this a matter of prayer or is it just politics?
Desertrose

O Lord, baptize me with love,
Jesus teach me gentleness
Gracious Master remove my fear.
Holy Spirit reveal my sin.
Lord Jesus, help me feel loved.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 04:15:07 PM »

The next Bishop of Rome most likely will be from Africa or South America, but don't bet the house on it.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 10:49:11 PM »

Well, I think I *know* one thing. 

It definitely *won't* be me.

Anyone willing to place a bet on that?

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 10:58:58 PM »

Well, I think I *know* one thing. 

It definitely *won't* be me.

Anyone willing to place a bet on that?

You could always take part in my brilliant plan to bring Rome back to Orthodoxy.  First, we plant sleepers within the RCC, then get one chosen as bishop, then cardinal...  Grin

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 07:56:30 AM »

You could always take part in my brilliant plan to bring Rome back to Orthodoxy. First, we plant sleepers within the RCC, then get one chosen as bishop, then cardinal... Grin

ROFLMAO
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 09:13:29 AM »

You could always take part in my brilliant plan to bring Rome back to Orthodoxy.  First, we plant sleepers within the RCC, then get one chosen as bishop, then cardinal...  Grin

And all of a sudden one day, the RCC recognises her faults, returns to Orthodoxy and declares... around 20 Patriarchs to lead the ex-catholic flock!

I place my bet on Cardinal Lustiger, the Archbishop of Paris.

Columba

St. Columba of Iona, pray for us...

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 09:45:07 AM »

And all of a sudden one day, the RCC recognises her faults, returns to Orthodoxy and declares... around 20 Patriarchs to lead the ex-catholic flock!

May I ask why you picked this Archbishop?
cizinec
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 05:10:32 PM »

I pick the leading Italian.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 05:59:09 PM »

I pick the leading Italian.

I agree...they're tired of having a foreign pope, want the papacy back, and they have a good shot at getting it.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 06:38:13 PM »

I don't know about anyone esle here, but I'm all poped out for a while. Think I'll just wait and see.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 06:44:34 PM »

If it's a progressive pick, please give me a sword to dance with, and then welcome me to the Orthodox Church.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 07:42:04 PM »

May I ask why you picked this Archbishop?

Cardinal Lustiger has a sort of magnetism on him that could prove him fitting for a Pope. Not to mention that, when asked whether he is likely to be a Pope, he answered: "Me? Never!".
Also, it seems that if the "Gloria De Olivae" motto is true, then he suits the motto. He is the "glory of the Olives", where the Olive used to symbolise the Jews from the ancient times. Cardinal Lustiger was born a Jew in religion (and Polish-Jew nationality), and converted to Catholicism during his teens.
The Catholic Church is also in a crumbling state in Western Europe, it's traditional place: A Cardinal from France (he changed his name from Aaron to Jean-Marie, and lived in France since his early years, and he became Archbishop of France) would be an excellent choice in order to do that.

Also, I checked about Malachy's prophecy: First of all, Petrus Romanus is a later addition, so we don't take him into consideration. Most Catholic prophecies speak of a Pope who will be forced to free Rome, and in doing so will have to step over the bodies of his cardinals, and this has not happened yet, so if it's about to happen, it will happen now (taking into consideration this is the last Pope, according to Malachy).
But Catholic prophecies also speak that God will raise a holy Pope, who will be protected by Angels.
And there are prophecies from both Churches (EO, RC) which speak of a united Catholic Church. Lately, elder Paissios of Agion Oros said that the Churches will unite, once the bad wolves are away and only the good shepherds are left in the Church.

So, my conclusion: if Malachy's prophecies are true, he saw Roman Catholic Popes. St. Benedict (4th-5th century), in his prophecy that the last Pope will be a Benedictine, saw a Patriarch of Rome of the United Church with the title of Pope.
This sums up why I believe this is not the last Pope, and that therefore this Pope will not be necessarily a Benedictine, but rather the last Roman Catholic Pope. The last Pope will be a Benedictine, but he will not be a RC Pope, but rather the Pope of the United Church. St. Benedict saw the last Pope of a United Church, and St. Malachy, as a roman Catholic bishop, saw the last Pope of the RC Church.

And all this is based on the fact that the Catholic prophesies are true. If even one is not, the whole plan of what the prophecies mean begins to crumble.

Though I do believe that such an explanation is rather happier than just saying "Gloria De Olivae" is the last.

-Ntinos

cizinec
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 01:46:50 PM »

I don't know about anyone esle here, but I'm all poped out for a while. Think I'll just wait and see.

I don't have cable and try to stick to watching either Frontline or the Jim Lehrer News Hour on occasion. I sometimes admit to watching America's Funniest Videos. I have netflix, but my kids get most of the benefit. I use that to get documentaries and old classics they don't carry at the local video store. Well, *I* think they're classics. At any rate, none of them involve pope picking or michael jackson watching.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:47:07 PM by cizinec » Logged

parmenas

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 10:07:12 AM »

Has elder Paisios from Mount Athos prophisized that a genuine (based on Orthodoxy) union will happen with the Latins?

I have heard of some Orthodox prophecies which say this.  Does anybody know specificaly the sources?

If the Malachas' and the other orthodx prophecies are real, then a genuine union with the Latins is approaching. 

NULL
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 10:36:11 AM »

Ntinos,

I understand from an informed Vatican observer that Cardinal Lustiger has severe problems with his vocal chords, rendering him unable to speak and, thus, making him an unlikely successor to Pope John Paul.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
optxogokcoc
orthodoxos

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 12:26:21 PM »

It would be nice if it was one of the Eastern Catholic Cardinals.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: