Author Topic: Liturgical incense at home?  (Read 4304 times)

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
Liturgical incense at home?
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:32:44 AM »
As many are aware (as I go on about it on pretty much every thread I contribute to) my wife and I cannot attend liturgy regularly. For various reasons (and we've tried everything we can think of) so what I'm really asking is, does anyone burn the sort of incense they do at liturgy at home on the days they would otherwise attend, if they cannot? I would like to but I don't even know if it's possible to do. I am sure some would find it crass and improper, but if I'm trying to replicate some of the liturgy at home "is the Sabbath a day for doing good, or for doing evil?"

Thanks for any feedback
Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Liturgical incense at home?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »
Greek custom says 'definitely'. :) My mother and grandmother censed the house every Saturday night, plus on feast days. Get a good burner, stock up on coal and incense pellets, and enjoy.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Greek custom says 'definitely'. :) My mother and grandmother censed the house every Saturday night, plus on feast days. Get a good burner, stock up on coal and incense pellets, and enjoy.

Thank you! I had a feeling it was likely to be a big no no or a big yes yes! I will have to find some, now. This gladdens me greatly! It's a unique mix, does anyone know where I can get it? Online perhaps? Is there variance or would I likely find the same incense at one service as I would another?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:51:42 AM by JGHunter »
Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:53:02 AM »

Thank you! I had a feeling it was likely to be a big no no or a big yes yes! I will have to find some, now. This gladdens me greatly! It's a unique mix, does anyone know where I can get it? Online perhaps?

Try Desert Fathers Incense or Orthodox Incense. Others will suggest more places, but those came into mind immediately. You can get burners at such shops as well, or even on eBay.

EDIT: I just noticed you're in the UK, so Cenacle may be your fastest and cheapest bet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:54:28 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »

Thank you! I had a feeling it was likely to be a big no no or a big yes yes! I will have to find some, now. This gladdens me greatly! It's a unique mix, does anyone know where I can get it? Online perhaps?

Try Desert Fathers Incense or Orthodox Incense. Others will suggest more places, but those came into mind immediately. You can get burners at such shops as well, or even on eBay.

EDIT: I just noticed you're in the UK, so Cenacle may be your fastest and cheapest bet.

Thank you. I used to live half an hour from Colchester, in Chelmsford, before I even knew about Orthodoxy. A beautiful place that. What will I need? As far as incense goes, I'm used to my old somewhat hippy days of just burning sticks of the stuff in my student residence. I notice there are many different ones. Do they get used for different purposes? I'm pretty sure the incense they use at my church has been the same every time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:01:18 AM by JGHunter »
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:09:20 AM »

Thank you. I used to live half an hour from Colchester, in Chelmsford, before I even knew about Orthodoxy. A beautiful place that. What will I need? As far as incense goes, I'm used to my old somewhat hippy days of just burning sticks of the stuff in my student residence. I notice there are many different ones. Do they get used for different purposes? I'm pretty sure the incense they use at my church has been the same every time.

Packaging doesn't change what's inside. :) The base ingredient is usually pellets of frankincense resin, which is then infused with different perfumes. Thus you may find different size pellets, colours or textures, but they're essentially the same thing. Line your censer with some sand or salt to absorb the heat, light a charcoal disc, and when it glows red put a couple of pellets on top. Make sure it's adequately ventilated; some censer lids have too small holes and it's better to keep them uncovered than let the ember suffocate.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
Packaging doesn't change what's inside. :) The base ingredient is usually pellets of frankincense resin, which is then infused with different perfumes. Thus you may find different size pellets, colours or textures, but they're essentially the same thing. Line your censer with some sand or salt to absorb the heat, light a charcoal disc, and when it glows red put a couple of pellets on top. Make sure it's adequately ventilated; some censer lids have too small holes and it's better to keep them uncovered than let the ember suffocate.

Oh I'm sure, but that Cenacle site has a number of different things, from Frankincense, to Lilac, Rose, "Byzantine", "Bethlehem" and so forth. So I'll need a censer, charcoal discs, sand/salt and only a couple of pellets? That's good because it's expensive haha.
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Smelly preference

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
Smelly preference

Haha I live in a rental house so don't want to fumigate the place, just fill it.
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »

Oh I'm sure, but that Cenacle site has a number of different things, from Frankincense, to Lilac, Rose, "Byzantine", "Bethlehem" and so forth. So I'll need a censer, charcoal discs, sand/salt and only a couple of pellets? That's good because it's expensive haha.

It's expensive, but a little goes a long way. ;) It's the coal that goes faster, really. I got my censer from here a few months ago, and I still have leftovers from a matchbox's worth of incense.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »

It's expensive, but a little goes a long way. ;) It's the coal that goes faster, really. I got my censer from here a few months ago, and I still have leftovers from a matchbox's worth of incense.

That's OK, as I'm sure you're aware charcoal is not expensive in the UK, discs can't be too hard to get hold of. I might get that sample set from that ebay seller you linked.
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »

That's OK, as I'm sure you're aware charcoal is not expensive in the UK, discs can't be too hard to get hold of. I might get that sample set from that ebay seller you linked.

They're good. I've been to their shop in Athens too. When I'm down next, I'm going to raid it well. :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:48:09 AM by Arachne »

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »

They're good. I've been to their shop in Athens too. When I'm down next, I'm going to raid it well. :laugh:

Nice! Never been to Greece. Are the tester boxes individually "named" so I'll know if I find the one I want, I can order just that in future?
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »

Nice! Never been to Greece. Are the tester boxes individually "named" so I'll know if I find the one I want, I can order just that in future?

The boxes are generic, but there's a note on the side as to the content. In Greek, though. Nothing's stopping you from putting a request in the comment box when ordering, asking them to label it in English, so you can know to order the same again.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
The boxes are generic, but there's a note on the side as to the content. In Greek, though. Nothing's stopping you from putting a request in the comment box when ordering, asking them to label it in English, so you can know to order the same again.

That's Ok, I'm fairly familiar with the Greek alphabet and, to some extent, reading small portions of Greek because of my love of English etymology, I should be able to reproduce the text on the side when I make a replacement order and it'll help me learn Greek all that bit more :)
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »

Hey sorry I forgot to ask, do all the matchboxes contain the same type of incense, or are they different in each, do you know?
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 04:58:52 PM »

Hey sorry I forgot to ask, do all the matchboxes contain the same type of incense, or are they different in each, do you know?

All their incense varieties (they stock over 40) come in the same boxes. If you browse a bit, you can find a sampler set of 12, which you may even get to pick yourself.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 05:00:37 PM »

All their incense varieties (they stock over 40) come in the same boxes. If you browse a bit, you can find a sampler set of 12, which you may even get to pick yourself.

Thanks, I'm making the leap to do it, I have bought a Christ icon to be blessed and will be getting the incense soon. Thanks again for all your help :)
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline icecreamsandwich

• Likely perpetual neophyte
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 05:26:59 PM »
Just as an aside, there's nothing wrong with using sticks instead of discs right? And what are the traditional scents (aside from frankincense and myrrh)?
Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still learning as I go along.

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
Careful now with getting charcoal happy...burnt a nice sized hole in my carpet doing that once.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »
Just as an aside, there's nothing wrong with using sticks instead of discs right? And what are the traditional scents (aside from frankincense and myrrh)?

I personally find nothing wrong with sticks, and I use them often when I can't afford the real thing. Still, even in the same scents, the effect is quite different.

Traditional scents, as in similar to the kinds of incense you're likely to have a whiff of in church, include rose, lily, violet, gardenia, pine, amber and galangal (or spikenard, if you're lucky enough to find it).

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline icecreamsandwich

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »

I personally find nothing wrong with sticks, and I use them often when I can't afford the real thing. Still, even in the same scents, the effect is quite different.

Traditional scents, as in similar to the kinds of incense you're likely to have a whiff of in church, include rose, lily, violet, gardenia, pine, amber and galangal (or spikenard, if you're lucky enough to find it).

Thank you very much :).  What do you mean by different?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:47:49 PM by icecreamsandwich »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »
Er , ... Just incense sticks, .. the kind you buy at the local smoke shop.
Learn meditation.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »

I find the smoke more pungent, for one, and the strength of the scent can vary a lot depending on brand. Even a single pellet of frankincense resin contains more frankincense than a stick; and sticks have occasionally hurt my eyes in a way even the thickest cloud in church (and in Greece, we don't skimp) never has.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
I will say that Japanese incense its probably a much better match in terms of smells than just random nag champa from the corner store...

http://www.shoyeido.com

has a huge selection and can usually be bought at health food stores....

That said: never used it for prayer purposes....just house scenting and relaxing purposes.....but overall i find it gentler and better than other kinds of stick incense
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline icecreamsandwich

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »

I find the smoke more pungent, for one, and the strength of the scent can vary a lot depending on brand. Even a single pellet of frankincense resin contains more frankincense than a stick; and sticks have occasionally hurt my eyes in a way even the thickest cloud in church (and in Greece, we don't skimp) never has.

Ah okay. I'm more familiar with stick incense, having never tried the pellet type. 

Offline Seraphim98

• High Elder
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 01:41:05 AM »
If you like stick or cone formed incense, but want Orthodox incense, then go to Desert Fathers Incense. Columbia makes a very fine product in the traditional way with prayers and highest quality ingredients. I've used Athonite style at home, and it works fine, but it's takes learning how to select and light charcoal....better to get the Japanese style hard charcoal mini briquets rather than those hooka patties laced with gunpowder to get them to burn. The red or green diamond labeled box at this seller (doesn't have to be this seller) is among the best: http://www.essenceoftheages.com/acces/coal1.html. Still it is handing and starting and laying out little bricks of charcoal. More steps equals more opportunity for accidents which is why I prefer now to use Desert Father's cone incense. It lasts about 20 minutes...just about right for morning or evening prayers. The stick lasts about the same but you will have to have a special stand for them. The cones you can just use in your censer.  

Note: laymen don't use the dangly censers like deacons and priests use. Ours have a handle and a foot to stand on. Fancy ones have bells that can be shaken side to side: http://www.xaxiras.gr/ΕκκλησιαστικάΕίδη/Θυμιατά-Κατζιον/Κατζιον.html

Use them enough and your home...at least your icon corner will soon enough smell like church.

Further note: If you do use the cones, there is a trick to them: Set them on fire, and when the tips and base edges begin to glow, blow the flame out, and set it in the censer.  It will burn/smoke for about 20 min.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:43:13 AM by Seraphim98 »

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 03:25:56 AM »
If you like stick or cone formed incense, but want Orthodox incense, then go to Desert Fathers Incense. Columbia makes a very fine product in the traditional way with prayers and highest quality ingredients. I've used Athonite style at home, and it works fine, but it's takes learning how to select and light charcoal....better to get the Japanese style hard charcoal mini briquets rather than those hooka patties laced with gunpowder to get them to burn. The red or green diamond labeled box at this seller (doesn't have to be this seller) is among the best: http://www.essenceoftheages.com/acces/coal1.html. Still it is handing and starting and laying out little bricks of charcoal. More steps equals more opportunity for accidents which is why I prefer now to use Desert Father's cone incense. It lasts about 20 minutes...just about right for morning or evening prayers. The stick lasts about the same but you will have to have a special stand for them. The cones you can just use in your censer.  

Note: laymen don't use the dangly censers like deacons and priests use. Ours have a handle and a foot to stand on. Fancy ones have bells that can be shaken side to side: http://www.xaxiras.gr/ΕκκλησιαστικάΕίδη/Θυμιατά-Κατζιον/Κατζιον.html

Use them enough and your home...at least your icon corner will soon enough smell like church.

Further note: If you do use the cones, there is a trick to them: Set them on fire, and when the tips and base edges begin to glow, blow the flame out, and set it in the censer.  It will burn/smoke for about 20 min.

Cones are pretty heavy duty. I wouldn't recommend using them in the same room you want to be in, ie living room. If you have a guest room, or some other room which you generally don't spend much time in in the corner of the house or something, use that to burn and keep all doors inside the house open. Even then, I've needed to keep windows open a crack. Maybe that's just me and the insane cones I used. Even then, they were nothing on the foot long sticks that could make a ceiling disappear, heh. I may have to ask my priest what incense they use in church, because it always smells the same so it must be a distinct "flavour" or specific combination. I don't want to spend money on incense which doesn't make me feel "at home". I'll whip him an email.
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »

If using a stick incense use a small flower pot filledwith sand. It will hold the incense stick up while it burns and you can also use it to hold a church style beeswax  candle as well. Note as with any open flame source you should not burn it without being present in the room to assure that it does not start a fire in the home.
Thomas
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline icecreamsandwich

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 10:31:04 AM »

Unfortunately, they've closed down.