OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 23, 2014, 01:27:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clergy Switching Jurisdiction  (Read 452 times) Average Rating: 0
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!

« on: April 06, 2014, 07:14:51 AM »

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is benefiting from the Great Fast and preparing for Holy Week. I wanted to know if any (oriental, eastern or even catholic) chanters, readers, subdeacons, deacons, or priests have had to switch jurisdiction. ( for example Greek to russian, coptic to syrian, western to eastern catholic) could you share your experience? What is that like? I'm just curious to know. Pray for me.

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »

I wanted to know if any (oriental, eastern or even catholic) chanters, readers, subdeacons, deacons, or priests have had to switch jurisdiction. ( for example Greek to russian, coptic to syrian, western to eastern catholic) could you share your experience? What is that like? I'm just curious to know. Pray for me.

I suppose it depends.  It's different if you are a deacon or a priest: there are regulations and procedures for transfer.  I'm not sure if such pertain to subdeacons and lower ranks, whether or not they should.  Can you narrow down what you're interested in?   

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »

Mor, I honestly dont have any specific requests. Do you Know any oriental priests that switched jurisdictions?

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:34:18 PM »

Mor, I honestly dont have any specific requests. Do you Know any oriental priests that switched jurisdictions?

I don't know of any OO priests that switched jurisdictions unless it was a Church of the same rite.  I don't (think I) know any EO priests who transferred between jurisdictions, but I know it happens. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:53:14 PM »

I don't know of any OO priests that switched jurisdictions unless it was a Church of the same rite.  I don't (think I) know any EO priests who transferred between jurisdictions, but I know it happens. 

I know of EO priests and deacons who have transferred to another jurisdiction. Before the Bishop of the man's new jurisdiction can accept him, he must first obtain a canonical release from his current jurisdiction. Sometimes Priests are put on loan to another jurisdiction.

Fr. John W. Morris
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »

I know of EO priests and deacons who have transferred to another jurisdiction. Before the Bishop of the man's new jurisdiction can accept him, he must first obtain a canonical release from his current jurisdiction. Sometimes Priests are put on loan to another jurisdiction.

Fr. John W. Morris

One of our local priests, a retired Army chaplain ordained in ACROD, often serves at our OCA parish and helps out at the local Greek and Antiochian parishes regularly when their respective pastors are away for one reason or another. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »

Fr. John W. Morris

One of our local priests, a retired Army chaplain ordained in ACROD, often serves at our OCA parish and helps out at the local Greek and Antiochian parishes regularly when their respective pastors are away for one reason or another. 

That sort of thing takes place all of the time. A retired or assistant Priest from another jurisdiction frequently subs for a Priest when he is ill or on vacation.

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: