OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:40:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creation  (Read 1437 times) Average Rating: 0
fennik

« on: April 01, 2005, 01:31:09 AM »

I was reading somewhere that God was talking to some guy and God told him that he could only ctreate a single cell and hope that it would  develope over time into what we are today...known as revolution. Is that true? God aslso stated to this guy that he lied about adam and eve. Inform me on what really happend or most likely the way we where created.

NULL
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 05:04:41 AM »

Inform me on what really happend or most likely the way we where created.

You forgot to say please.
fennik

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 05:20:12 AM »

please

NULL
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 05:59:58 AM »

Fennik,

What on earth are you talking about? It sounds as though you know someone who supposedly receives revelations direct from God and who told you a) God is not omnipotent (he could only create a single cell) and, b) God is a liar (at least with regards to Adam and Eve. Are you in the habit of taking such (to use an English term) nutters seriously?

There is a large debate going on on this forum with regards to creationism, evolution and intelligent design at the moment and I'd suggest you look there if you want to see people's opinions on the matter. Personally I believe God created the world as Genesis tells us, but Genesis does not say how he did this. I find young earth creationism and (neo-)Darwinism to be equally ludicrous and tend more toward the ID position, but there are others here who disagree. The point is neither Genesis, nor the Fathers nor modern science can definitively show us which position is correct - and I hardly think it is of the greatest importance with regard to personal salvation.

Can I suggest that you look to God and 'work out your salvation' rather than listening the incoherent gibberings of self-styled 'prophets'?

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 06:38:46 AM »

If im not mistaken, Fennik seems to be referring to Matthew777's thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php/topic,5707.0.html

I believe that was a fictional dialogue created by Matthew777; intended to make a certain implicit point..................

Peace.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 06:39:13 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 07:04:53 AM »

EkhristosAnesti,

Yes, it looks as though you're right. I never bothered to read that dialogue before because I really dislike that sort of style. I have read the rest of the thread, though.

Having said that, it does rather look as though Fennik failed to grasp the point, it arguing precisely the opposite of what he seems to have understood from it. I'm glad to see that he doesn't seem to be listening to some New Age nutter, but he really could do with learning to look below the surface details of such posts.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 03:11:58 PM »

I was reading somewhere that God was talking to some guy and God told him that he could only ctreate a single cell and hope that it would develope over time into what we are today...known as revolution. Is that true? God aslso stated to this guy that he lied about adam and eve. Inform me on what really happend or most likely the way we where created.

I wrote that dialogue as a joke in order to show the perils of "theistic" evolution.
God created the earth in six days and rested on the seventh. He created Adam from the dust of the ground and Eve from Adam's rib.
As for the patristic understanding of Genesis, I reccomend that you please start with this:
Genesis and Early Man
The Orthodox Patristic Understanding
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/evolution_frseraphim_kalomiros.aspx

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
fennik

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 07:31:15 PM »

Well thanks for clearing that up, i didnt know if the post that mathew put was a true fact stated by the bible or not.

NULL
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 08:11:08 PM »

wow.

Qui cantat, bis orat
fennik

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 02:56:34 AM »

Yeah well i havnt read the bible yet..not all anyways

NULL