OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:47:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: De Gloria Olivae and the next Pope.  (Read 30444 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2005, 10:13:21 AM »

JENNIFER:"Abortion is more important than the filioque. Gay marriage is more important than azymes."

I will agree to disagree. God help us if this is the concensus of the faithful.

Yes. Doing no work on the sabbath is far more important than healing a sick man.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2005, 10:29:40 AM »

JENNIFER:"Abortion is more important than the filioque. Gay marriage is more important than azymes."

I will agree to disagree. God help us if this is the concensus of the faithful.

The theological issues that people have been fighting about for centuries don't matter so much to us laypeople.  I'm content to let my bishops worry about those issues. 

It's not that abortion gets more attention than azymes thus making it more important but rather that we as American laypeople have more opportunity to witness against abortion than we do against azymes. 

The Thinker

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2005, 10:42:27 AM »

Lets not rush to discount (Saint) Malachy. He existed shortly after the schism. He himself had been brought up still knowing the orthodox way. He may have been in the West but the impact of the Schism may not have actually affected his essential theology which could, in all likelihood, still be orthodox........

NULL
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2005, 10:43:53 AM »

The point is not to discount St. Malachy, but whether or not he actually wrote those prophecies.  St. Bernard never mentions them during his Life of St. Malachy, and the latter died in the former's arms! 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2005, 10:44:50 AM »

Lets not rush to discount (Saint) Malachy. He existed shortly after the schism. He himself had been brought up still knowing the orthodox way. He may have been in the West but the impact of the Schism may not have actually affected his essential theology which could, in all likelihood, still be orthodox........

We're not discouting Malachy; we're discounting the guy who forged the prophecies attributed to him.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2005, 10:48:37 AM »

We're not discouting Malachy; we're discounting the guy who forged the prophecies attributed to him.

Praise God!  Someone gets it! Wink

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2005, 10:49:06 AM »

Let me qualify what I wrote by noting that I've been around the on-line Orthodox world for a long now and have watched a virtual parade of young enthusiastic converts go off the deep end and end up in groups like HOCNA or ROAC.  My observation is that they got too caught up in theological correctness.  Their Orthodoxy came from books not the life of the Church. 

I think this is partially due to their age.  But I think pride was an element as well.  It's 'fun' to imagine that one is fighting the ancient intellectual/theological battles of the Church.  To leave that to your bishops requires a kind of humility. 

I also think that the 'obsession' with theological minutia by laypeople is a defense mechanism against acknowledging the evil of their everyday lives.  We as Americans are bombarded with evil.  It's basic human nature to pretend that it doesn't exist.  To pretend that we're not at fault.  I think some retreat from this evil by trying to hide in the Church. 

Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2005, 10:49:14 AM »

The theological issues that people have been fighting about for centuries don't matter so much to us laypeople. I'm content to let my bishops worry about those issues.

It's not that abortion gets more attention than azymes thus making it more important but rather that we as American laypeople have more opportunity to witness against abortion than we do against azymes.

Who says Orthodox groups cannot work with Roman Catholic groups to end abortion? We do not have to compromise our beliefs to work together on social issues.

Also what we believe is not just for the Bishops. We the Faithful must defend our Faith too. I do not believe that God the Holy Spirit is the substance of the love between the Father and the Son nor do I believe He has his origin in both the Father and Son. This is not some trivial matter! Who we believe God to be is of utmost importance.

Yes. Doing no work on the sabbath is far more important than healing a sick man.
Schultz upholding what we believe about God is far different from hypocrital Pharisees who only are concerned with the letter of the Law. If we do not know what we believe we can help no one.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2005, 10:54:52 AM »

Who says Orthodox groups cannot work with Roman Catholic groups to end abortion? We do not have to compromise our beliefs to work together on social issues.

Also what we believe is not just for the Bishops. We the Faithful must defend our Faith too. I do not believe that God the Holy Spirit is the substance of the love between the Father and the Son nor do I believe He has his origin in both the Father and Son. This is not some trivial matter! Who we believe God to be is of utmost importance.
Schultz upholding what we believe about God is far different from hypocrital Pharisees who only are concerned with the letter of the Law. If we do not know what we believe we can help no one.

I'm not saying it's trivial or that we as laypeople don't have a responsibility to uphold the faith.  However, you and I can actually end abortion, i.e. the murder of unborn children.  You and I cannot hold ecumenical talks with Roman Catholics about the filioque.  We can 'educate' Roman Catholics by living our faith instead of screaming and yelling at them. 

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we as laypeople are called to teach our faith by living it.  Priests and bishops are called to teach the faith in a different way. 

In an Orthodox parish, one doesn't get caught up in all of this theology.  We live our faith through the liturgies of the Church and through doing good works and fasting and praying. 
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2005, 10:57:51 AM »

If we do not know what we believe we can help no one.

I just really think that the Devil laughs every time someone says, "Azymes are more important than abortion"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 10:58:13 AM by Schultz » Logged

Kizzy

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2005, 11:37:29 AM »

I'm not saying it's trivial or that we as laypeople don't have a responsibility to uphold the faith. However, you and I can actually end abortion, i.e. the murder of unborn children. You and I cannot hold ecumenical talks with Roman Catholics about the filioque. We can 'educate' Roman Catholics by living our faith instead of screaming and yelling at them.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we as laypeople are called to teach our faith by living it. Priests and bishops are called to teach the faith in a different way.

In an Orthodox parish, one doesn't get caught up in all of this theology. We live our faith through the liturgies of the Church and through doing good works and fasting and praying.

Exactly right.. each of us has our 'circle of  direct influence'... and ours is our children and neighbors and our priest.  Our priest's circle includes the parish, his Bishop, and other priests he works with.  The Bishop has influence on the priest, other bishops, and the Patriarch on the bishops and other Hierarchs... This is the essence of a hierarchical structure, which some faiths do not have...

What I mean by ' circle of direct  influence' is simply those who can witness how we live our faith pretty much first hand and then have discussion concerning how and work to ensure consistency with the faith... the higher up you go, the less 'direct influence' there is between the hierarch and the laity, but the more there is with other hierarchs.  One would hope that issues of the laity do reach the hierarchs and vice versa...
but it is difficult since most hierarchs travel in 'a bubble'...surrounded by clergy, reporters, and old time faithful...And hence not all hierarchs received the same information or complete information about the laity... The GOA ministries are trying to work to capture the lay issues and identify ministry programs to address them.  Basically change within the church happens best peacefully  from within, from a non-adversarial relationship through prayer and dialogue, rather than by going to battle over it...which may bring change but perhaps in a resented fashion.. 

I doubt any of the hierarchs  pay 'unannouced visits' to parishes to really see what the congregations are like, and what the issues are...
One thing that is bridging the hierarchy and laity  from top to bottom, is the current GO prophet/mystic Vassula Ryden.  She has been invited to speak at gatherings of EO, RC, Lutheran, Coptics, etc... and there are frequent conversions to Christianity after her talks. She has had influence on  increased dialogue between the churches....    For those who haven't heard of her, she has produced writings of what Jesus has told/ tells  her... they are penned in unusual script, which is when Christ speaks to her and writes through her hand...   I recently came across this, and she is held in high regard by both churches and is having influence that spans clergy and laity...from the Pope and Patriarchs on down... The writings have been captured in "Truth in God".  You can see the writings on a website... they are beautiful... and send shivers...The tone of the words from Jesus are basically... 'you got started right, but you've missed my point by allowing my church to be split over doctrines written by people...Easter must be celebrated together and the Eucharist around one altar' There are words of guidance for both the RC and GO churches on how to proceed.  I haven't read all the writings...will take awhile before I form a complete opinion...

In XC, Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2005, 11:39:05 AM »

My question to those familiar with RC conclave is this....is it possible for a monk to be elected as Pope? I realize that it is probably unlikely but what are the actual rules?

In Christ,
Raouf

Actually any male can be elected Pope....even from the laity!

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2005, 11:52:09 AM »

Last I checked, being 78 doesnt make on immune to heresy. And yes I will stand by my statement that he has significant theological problems. Filioque, Azymes, Purgatory, Papal Infallibility, need I go on?

Azymes is praxis, not theology.
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2005, 12:00:17 PM »

My question to those familiar with RC conclave is this....is it possible for a monk to be elected as Pope? I realize that it is probably unlikely but what are the actual rules?

In Christ,
Raouf

Actually any male can be elected Pope....even from the laity!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theoretically, any male Catholic can be elected by the conclave Cardinals.

However, that person has to be at least a priest, because of the necessity of ordaining him immediately a bishop upon his acceptance of his election as Pope.

Realistically, therefore, the next Pope will come from the ranks of the College of Cardinals, more specifically, from among the Cardinal electors themselves as will be shown shortly.

The 1996 Apostolic Constitution "Universi Dominici Gregis" is a "special law" governing the election and qualifications of the Roman Pontiff. The Codes of Canon (Catholic East and West) are "general laws."

It abrogates or supercedes the general laws as far as the election and qualifications of the Pope. However, where the provisions are not in conflict, the special law "adopts" the provisions of the general laws. The qualifications of the Roman Pontiff is one such provision.

The UDG requires that the person elected, if not already a Bishop, must immediately be consecrated as a Bishop to validly exercise the authority and powers of the Supreme Pontiff. The Code of Canons contains the provisions for the valid ordination of a person to the episcopacy, thus:

Can. 378 -º1 To be a suitable candidate for the episcopate, a person must:

1-¦ be outstanding in strong faith, good morals, piety, zeal for souls, wisdom, prudence and human virtues, and possess those other gifts which equip him to fulfill the office in question;

2-¦ be held in good esteem;

3-¦ be at least 35 years old;

4-¦ be a priest ordained for at least five years;

5-¦ hold a doctorate or at least a licentiate in sacred Scripture, theology or canon law, from an institute of higher studies approved by the Apostolic See, or at least be well versed in these disciplines.

-º2 The definitive judgment on the suitability of the person to be promoted rests with the Apostolic See.

In the bolded subsection 4 above, the person thus elected must not only be a priest, he must have been a priest for at least 5 years!

Since the Apostolic See is vacant (during the Conclave), the College of Cardinals is the sole authority to interpret the provisons of UDG and that interpretation points to the upholding of the current norms for the valid ordination to the episcopacy.

A layman or any "male Catholic" simply does not possess the antecedent qualifications.

Amado
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2005, 12:46:30 PM »

Very interesting.... I found the following on Varulla who it appears continues in the tradition of the false mystics in Croatia.  ""I have taken you as My bride sharing My Cross as our matrimonial bed, will you look at Me?" (I looked at Jesus’ face.) "Could I ever abandon you, flower? I am He who loves you most, remain near Me, here." (It was like as if He had a sudden idea, stopped, pointed at our ankles which I saw tied to each other.) 

And again: "
In addressing the WCC, Vassula’s so-called "Jesus" stated:

" My words of reconciliation, peace, and unity have not been heard nor have they been respected.

[Vassula: ’He’s talking about the WCC here."]

"GǪ When will they [WCC] pass a decree by unanimous vote to celebrate the feast of Easter all on one date? GǪ I have come to talk to them, to the World Council of Churches, GǪ"
Vassula’s Jesus tells Vassula, the Christian "communities are all the same in my eyes GǪ you are all One in My eyes! I do not make any distinction."

Apparently she is funded by Catholic Charismatics and supporters of Garabandal and other groups.
==========================

I am currently reading an essay by Christos Yannaras called the 'Heresy of Pietism".  This Orthodox Theologian states that we have been taken over by pietiism which places doctrine and truth second place to social ethics.  So abortion, poverty etc are more important that the teachings of the Church.  This 'heresy' permeates all Churches, but especially the Roman Catholic (Liberation Theology, Social Doctrine etc...).  I believe fighting against abortion with Catholic groups is a good thing, but it is not a road to doctrinal unity.  Having studied at a Catholic College and debated with professors - I chose to disagree with them theologicially, although some of them became friends.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Sabbas
High Elder

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2005, 12:55:05 PM »

Azymes is praxis, not theology.

Praxis is never separate from Theology in Orthodoxy.
I just really think that the Devil laughs every time someone says, "Azymes are more important than abortion"
All I think is being said is that we cannot just say because we agree on abortion that azymes no longer matter in the possible reconciliation of the Roman church with the Orthodox Church. But I do not think anyone is saying that because Roman Catholics are not a part of the Orthodox Church that we cannot work together in ending abortion.

I'm not saying it's trivial or that we as laypeople don't have a responsibility to uphold the faith. However, you and I can actually end abortion, i.e. the murder of unborn children. You and I cannot hold ecumenical talks with Roman Catholics about the filioque. We can 'educate' Roman Catholics by living our faith instead of screaming and yelling at them.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we as laypeople are called to teach our faith by living it. Priests and bishops are called to teach the faith in a different way.

In an Orthodox parish, one doesn't get caught up in all of this theology. We live our faith through the liturgies of the Church and through doing good works and fasting and praying.

Jennifer my only point was that the Roman church does not have to be reconciled with the Orthodox Church for Orthodox Christians to work with Roman Catholics in ending abortion. We can still be separate but work together on this issue.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2005, 03:10:38 PM »

Praxis is never separate from Theology in Orthodoxy.

Depends on what you mean by "separate". They are not the same thing, for there are, after all, different words with different definitions. If you are saying that differences in praxis imply differences in theology, I would say that this is not so. If you are saying that the differences in this praxis stems from a difference in theology, well, maybe. Anglicans don't officially care about leavening, and the reason we don't care is that we don't think this is a theological issue worth fighting over. Indeed, for any difference in praxis there's the question of whether the difference is also retained as a sign of the separation between the groups that espouse the differences.

As long as every difference is to be fought about to the death, then in practice there's no real hope for any kind of reunion. But since Jesus' teaching seems inimicable to that adamancy, I cannot but condemn it.
Phyltre

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2005, 04:48:23 PM »

Sabbas,

If we do not know what we believe we can help no one.

Actually, not "knowing" a specific detail of a faith does not inhibit one from performing positive steps in the name of that faith. To assume that such positive steps would be impeded by an slightly imperfect understanding of a detail of a faith is to assume that we are all incapable of helping anyone, since we are all human and all fallible.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 05:06:57 PM by Phyltre » Logged

NULL
Sabbas
High Elder

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2005, 05:08:48 PM »

Phyltre
I was not making an absolute statement about everyone. Rather in that context I was stating that unless we Orthodox and Roman Catholics know why we are different than we cannot help anyone but will confuse people as is already happening. Why should someone from the Roman church become Orthodox if Orthodox people and bishops are saying they should stay in the Roman church? This is a question that comes up a lot. If we do not know how to be Roman Catholics and Orthodox while working together to end abortion than we cannot help anyone. We as Orthodox have an additional duty to try to lead people to the Orthodox Church. But if we do not know what we believe, that the Orthodox Church is the True Church and there are no Mysteries outside it, than we will not be able to help lead people to the Faith or will no longer care about leading people to the Church. We have to both help people by ending abortion and fighting for other issues of life and death alongside trying to lead people to Salvation.

Kizzy

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2005, 05:39:17 PM »

Apparently she is funded by Catholic Charismatics and supporters of Garabandal and other groups.

Please explain the source for this statement.  According to the articles I read, both EO and RC have supported her statements, but I haven't seen anything regarding financial support.

in XC, Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
Phyltre

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »

Perhaps my beliefs differ slightly from yours, but I'm fairly certain we agree on the point that we do not all serve God in exactly the same way.  Therefore my statement was merely to say that for some is it more important to wrangle out the details for better understanding of faith.  For others, it is more pressing to make a difference in other ways, ways that remain unaffected by the outcomes of these debates.  All reasonably devout Christians can agree on many many positive changes that could be made in this world, and their pursuit of them should not be superseded by ultimate truths perhaps meant for the next dominion.

You see, at least personally, I am content to not claim to know whether or not the Spirit issues only from the Father or also from the Son.  There is much that I will not learn of God in this life, and this to me is one of those things.  I am content with what I consider to be the larger truths that will serve me in this life, and what were the core of the message of the Son.  This is my life...and at the risk of sounding relativist (trust that I am not) this is what I feel is best in my case.

NULL
Kizzy

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2005, 11:24:28 PM »

You see, at least personally, I am content to not claim to know whether or not the Spirit issues only from the Father or also from the Son. There is much that I will not learn of God in this life, and this to me is one of those things. I am content with what I consider to be the larger truths that will serve me in this life, and what were the core of the message of the Son. This is my life...and at the risk of sounding relativist (trust that I am not) this is what I feel is best in my case.
Phyltre, this is a fairly common belief among both Orthodox and Catholics...many look at this particular subject as battling over the details instead of celebrating over the bigger picture.  This type of 'battling and disharmony' is one reason that the EO, RC, and Protestant faiths have lost members to the evangelical movement...
 Some people see the division over this  issue as sinful and superseeding other issues concerning Christ's message for how each person should treat his brethren...One person said to me.. " you know, so what, there is one Triune God, and Christ came to the world to save sinners by his death and resurrection...His words were at times indicating procession of the HS from the Father and at other times,from Him, as Son possessing all of the Father.. . so, both are right according to Biblical texts, and fighting over which is right is like cutting off your nose to spite your face."   

The only significant new'creed' we should be concerned about is Islam... and Christians have converted to that as well...To me, Mohammed is the anti-Christ...and the terror that activist groups have wreaked on this planet in the name of Islam to me speaks of the Devil...and the more 'divided' Christianity is, the easier it is for Islam to gain strength...

In XC, Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2005, 06:10:42 AM »

Please explain the source for this statement. According to the articles I read, both EO and RC have supported her statements, but I haven't seen anything regarding financial support.

Kizzy,

Her statements are not receiving any hierarchical support from Catholics.  In fact, the Vatican has reacted negatively to her.  See Notification on Vassula Ryden.  I think she is seen as falling into the same category as the supposed visions at Garabandal, etc. - an unwholesome category.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
1ofGods2

« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2005, 02:53:13 PM »

I think Lustiger would be Peter the Roman...who leads his flock through tribulation....which if his prophecy is true is another sign the catholic church will not go in the rapture.

NULL
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2005, 03:35:05 PM »

I think Lustiger would be Peter the Roman...who leads his flock through tribulation....which if his prophecy is true is another sign the catholic church will not go in the rapture.

Neither will anyone else.  Wink

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2005, 03:39:18 PM »

I suppose that means I need to get rid of the bumper sticker that says, "In case of Rapture, can I have your car?"

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2005, 03:44:47 PM »

There is no Rapture...

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2005, 04:10:17 PM »

I suppose that means I need to get rid of the bumper sticker that says, "In case of Rapture, can I have your car?"

Hehe, that' my favorite one Cheesy

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Laurie

« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2005, 08:59:22 PM »

Greetings everyone I'm the new kid on the block. For a few days now I have been reading your messages and have found them interesting and friendly.

Take Care, Laurie :thumbsup:
Laurie

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2005, 09:47:48 PM »

I hope I get this message board all figured out soon, but besides that, I was wondreing why yiouhave come to this conclusion that Lustiger would be the future Peter the Roman?
eleni

« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »

Looking at the prophecy of St .Malachy..if he actually did write that prophecy......he did not say anything about the last Pope being Petros Romanus...

In fact, the last one from when he prophesied was the ''Glory of the Olive''....

So if that is the case, then we have Orthodox prophecy of many various Fathers and Saints of our Holy Catholic(Universal)Apostolic Orthodox Church.....
St Kosmas,
Elder Paisios
Saint Kalinikou of Romania(1787-1868)
Saint Eiphreim (Tou syrou)..sorry this in in Greek.....
Saint Andrea(kata hristou salou).in Greek also.....
Archpriest Father Akmasantos (kata ton 4 th century A.D )..also in Greek.....
many,many others that tell us that the Papacy will fall.........for this to happen, there has to be something big happen..
Constantinople will again become the centre of Orthododxy...HOLY CATHOLIC ,APOSTOLIC CHURCH.....(AS many others here  have stated before)
For this to happen, there has to be a war.....world war 111
And Russia gives the Greeks back CONSTANTINOPLE......This will be a sign toward the end of times.......
The Apocalypse begins not long after.....
In Revelation it says there was ''silence in Heaven for a  short time''
This would be for all to gather their thoughts about accepting Christ and following Antichrist......or should I say...the time when the Tortures will begin for all the faithful that remain alive......(NO RAPTURE)

Glory be to God ,Theotokos and His Saints....
Have mercy on me a sinner.
helen..

A Prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished.
-Proverbs27:12-
Kizzy

« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »

many,many others that tell us that the Papacy will fall.........for this to happen, there has to be something big happen..
Constantinople will again become the centre of Orthododxy...HOLY CATHOLIC ,APOSTOLIC CHURCH.....(AS many others here have stated before)

Maybe Al -qa-ida is working on this one....

Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
eleni

« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2005, 11:00:05 PM »

Maybe Al -qa-ida is working on this one....

Kizzy
Hi Kizzy.....
 Are you from Greece?

Apperently there is alot happening .....
 helen...

Laurie

« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2005, 11:06:19 PM »

Looking at the prophecy of St .Malachy..if he actually did write that prophecy......he did not say anything about the last Pope being Petros Romanus...

In fact, the last one from when he prophesied was the ''Glory of the Olive''....

So if that is the case, then we have Orthodox prophecy of many various Fathers and Saints of our Holy Catholic(Universal)Apostolic Orthodox Church.....
St Kosmas,
Elder Paisios
Saint Kalinikou of Romania(1787-1868)
Saint Eiphreim (Tou syrou)..sorry this in in Greek.....
Saint Andrea(kata hristou salou).in Greek also.....
Archpriest Father Akmasantos (kata ton 4 th century A.D )..also in Greek.....
Constantinople will again become the centre of Orthododxy...HOLY CATHOLIC ,APOSTOLIC CHURCH.....(AS many others here have stated before)
And Russia gives the Greeks back CONSTANTINOPLE......This will be a sign toward the end of times.......
The Apocalypse begins not long after.....
In Revelation it says there was ''silence in Heaven for a short time''
This would be for all to gather their thoughts about accepting Christ and following Antichrist......or should I say...the time when the Tortures will begin for all the faithful that remain alive......(NO RAPTURE)

Glory be to God ,Theotokos and His Saints....
Have mercy on me a sinner.
helen..

Helen,
Don't you think WW3 is in it's early beginnings, with the Bush government creating the war in Afganistan and Iraq, plus looking for other nations to strick an attack to keep it all going? I don't know what to think of this pope and what roll he will play in all this. But I can tell you this much the whole thing at this time looks pretty sinister from where I'm sitting
eleni

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2005, 11:22:53 PM »

Hi Laurie.....yes the same feelings I get here...

I remember reading from Orthodox source.......there will be small wars breaking out...and people will not know what is happening...
For us Christian Orthodox we have knowledge from our Saints who told us to look for the signs........and so did Christ our Lord....
We dont simply just sit here on our computers and talk, we need prayer and fasting and lots of each others prayers.....
Fasting because ''FOOD'' will be the weapon that the Antichrist will use against all the people.....
We have too much food and we still complain on what we are going to eat.....I many times open the fridge,cupboard and think to myself, what am i going to make.....we are simply not happy because we have too much......as Elder Paisios of Athos and many others  have  said......
FOOD will be the cause of many worshipping the Antichrist ,God forbid we do not bow down to him......

It is true, we have escaped many times the end of the world.......and because the Love of many shall became scarce.....Christ will swiftly make the end of times come quick ......only because many will not be able to live in such a time....(these are not my words, but many fathers that have said this...)
Glory be to God,Theotokos and His Saints..
helen....

Laurie

« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2005, 11:41:45 PM »

Helen,
My husband came from a catholic family, and I from protestant one. I noticed that his bible is packed full of information; About 20 more books in the bible than that of my king James bible, that has only a small token of 66 books in all. This leads me to believe, that the protestant churches were trying very hard to cover information that they didn't want to get out into the public, in fear that they would loose control of each congragation.

In my teaching, I had learned the earth would start to moan, and we have had one tsunami and a number of earthquakes in between in south/east asia, which were again signs that the end is near.

Take Care & God Bless, Laurie

Kizzy

« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2005, 11:46:59 PM »

Hi Kizzy.....
 Are you from Greece?

Apperently there is alot happening .....
 helen...

Helen, I live in the US... 2nd Generation American... The alqaida are everywhere... from Professors, bankers, doctors, to students and clergy...I don't see how we can fight it... This is why I say that radical Islam is the enemy... not other Christian faiths...
Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
Laurie

« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2005, 11:54:33 PM »

I'm trying to put up a pic of a bird and I'm wondering if it's posting where my name is
Laurie

« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2005, 12:01:38 AM »

Lets see if it works now...Please bear with this test. Thank you for your patience also it's wonderful to meet you all :wave2:
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2005, 12:08:30 AM »

Don't you think WW3 is in it's early beginnings, with the Bush government creating the war in Afganistan and Iraq, plus looking for other nations to strick an attack to keep it all going?

I'm all for going to war against islamo-fascist countries with opressive regimes that treat women like dogs and other barbaric behavior. I hope we get a chance to drop bombs on Iran before they do it to us with all those nuclear weapons they are trying to build. Imagine a nuke in the hands of 13th century barbarians and what kind of disaster that would be for the whole world. Also, I wouldn't mind turning Turkey into a parking lot seeing what they do to young girls when their fathers aren't able to pay off thier debts. If the islamic countries dropped off the face of the earth tommorow that would be one big step forward for the rest of mankind. Anyway, what the hell have they contributed to mankind since the 7th century? 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
eleni

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2005, 12:24:18 AM »

Hello to all...I feel more comfortable now then when first came here....thanks to all for being nice...

Laurie......my husband is Roman Catholic also.....and my daughter is babtised Russian Orthodox ......I did have some problems with this...(not by my husband)but now all is fine...
Im greek /parents both born in Greece but live here in Australia....
Yes, we are living in terrible times ahead.....we must remember that our weapon is Prayer and lots of it....

Kizzy.....about Islam.....ther will be a war......and Islam will not be anymore.(that rhymes Smiley  )
And many will be babtised and many killed.....Saint Kosmas O Aitolos

In greek a prophecy of Saint Kosmas says that the Pope will be the cause......I have yet to figure what exactly those words mean.....I have come across a few explanations, but not quite understand them...
I guess we just need and wait and see what the Church In Rome (Roman Catholic) will have to say.....as for the Pope taking the new name, Saint Benedict...I read in todays paper that he had in mind the Saint Benedict of the 6th century......
Who knows what will happen.......though, if R.Catholics want to unite, then an EIGHTH ecumenical(council) will have to meet.....
This is also in Prophecy.......an EIGHTH council will meet .......I also read that the last days.......Our Orthodox Bishop will be the one who CROWNS the Antichrist.......
Glory be to God ,Theotokos and His Saints...
have mercy on me a sinner
helen....

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2005, 12:41:50 AM »

Can someone hook me up with a link or place where I can find the prophecies of Elder Paisios and/or St. Kosmas??

Thanks!

R
eleni

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2005, 12:57:45 AM »

Can someone hook me up with a link or place where I can find the prophecies of Elder Paisios and/or St. Kosmas??

Thanks!

R

Do you read Greek?

....some Greek(translation gets lost sometimes)...anyway found quite a few ....

Paisios......in greek...
http://www.rel.gr/index.php?rpage=paisios&rpage2=showkeimeno.php&link_id=16

in English.....various Saints on prophecy.....

http://members.cox.net/orthodoxheritage/Prophecies%20of%20Orthodox%20Church%20Fathers.htm

Hope that helps...
Glory Be to God....
helen.

Laurie

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2005, 01:04:08 AM »

Over and out, I'm out for the night catch you all tomorow

Take Care, Laurie
eleni

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2005, 01:09:21 AM »