Author Topic: Catholic Archbishop OKs baptism for lesbian couple and their baby  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Christopher McAvoy

• Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
  • Elder
    • St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary
Re: Catholic Archbishop OKs baptism for lesbian couple and their baby
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2014, 11:16:07 PM »
Good grief, I phrased it wrong myself.

I ment the child. A child adopted by homosexuals, would the Orthodox Church baptise it, if it was being raised by anyone openly in serious sin in contradiction to the ten commandments and divine precepts.

Oh well, I am simply going to guess that it could happen in the Orthodox Church but not as easily and probably would be stopped if it received any publicity.

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
funny how no one here has addressed the original question which is: whether homosexuals who adopt children and pretend to be married - openly contradicting the faith - have ever been baptised in the Orthodox Church?
No homosexually married people have ever been baptised in the Orthodox Church, I'm pretty sure.

How sure are you?  You don't think that one person, while part of a same-sex married couple, has ever converted to Orthodoxy?

Maybe if that person is dishonest and doesn't confide in the priest at the time of his or her conversion.  I cant imagine that any conversion would be complete under such circumstances.   I cant for the life of me see an Orthodox Priest converting a person who continues to live the practicing homosexual life. 
I cant say it was NEVER done but IF its done its wrong utterly wrong.

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 10:50:38 AM »
If this was the child a drug lord, there would be no question about baptism.

If this were the child of a drug lord, it would be much easier to raise her in the Church.
http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »
Are people in this thread seriously claiming it's a reasonable possibility that these two women are living chastely? Seriously? That's the best you can do?

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
Are people in this thread seriously claiming it's a reasonable possibility that these two women are living chastely? Seriously? That's the best you can do?

Is it possible for two women living together in chastity?   Yes
I know of two examples of women who lost their husbands went in together to buy one house use their proceeds to live out their years IN Chastity. 
Now, if your question refers to two Lesbians living together the chances are slight that they would live in chastity although not impossible.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

Whether the women are living chastely or not, has no impact on the child getting baptized.

How many children would get baptized, if the condition of baptism involved the sinless nature of their parents.

Should the women be given Holy Sacraments - not unless they repent.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 12:17:38 PM »

Is it possible for two women living together in chastity?   Yes
I know of two examples of women who lost their husbands went in together to buy one house use their proceeds to live out their years IN Chastity.  
Now, if your question refers to two Lesbians living together the chances are slight that they would live in chastity although not impossible.

Orthonoob wasn't talking about two other women who were previously in heterosexual marriages though. (emphasis mine)

Whether the women are living chastely or not, has no impact on the child getting baptized.

How many children would get baptized, if the condition of baptism involved the sinless nature of their parents.

Should the women be given Holy Sacraments - not unless they repent.

First sentence: agree.

Second sentence: I don't think anyone is implying parents have to be sinless, just repentant.

Third sentence: agree.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:23:41 PM by JGHunter »
Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
Yes...one can make some judgement calls given the evidence at hand in the photos etc.

However, we are not -there-....we have not discussed with the priest, the parties involved etc....what the situation is.

So much like a thread where we couldn't beyond a shadow of a doubt decide precisely what was happening with an ecumenical service.....

we cannot determine the exact state of things here either....

we can suppose, we can draw a conclusion....but KNOW...

sadly no.

speculation is a fantastic hobby. ;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »

Is it possible for two women living together in chastity?   Yes

Of course, of course, but not when they frequently and publicly kiss each other in a sexual way, have homoerotic images of women in their home, and do nothing to deny public reports of their lesbianism.

Offline Cackles

• Elder
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »
funny how no one here has addressed the original question which is: whether homosexuals who adopt children and pretend to be married - openly contradicting the faith - have ever been baptised in the Orthodox Church?

The Church would treat the women as if they were single. They can act as they want, but it is a single mother and her baby living with a friend. Thats why no one takes them seriously and they got the baptism.

Did you see? One of the women were wearing an Aerosmith t-shirt to her own daughters baptism. Actually, what would be funny is to see how the courts would award custody and visitation.. Now THAT I would love to see. The Feminists chasing their tale wondering what to do.. Its just so insane.

2 men is anther story and under a whole different rules. I know that doesnt agree with the new age, equality, humanist mindset, but that's the way it is. Men doing the same is entirely different.
The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »
No homosexually married people have ever been baptised in the Orthodox Church, I'm pretty sure.

How sure are you?  You don't think that one person, while part of a same-sex married couple, has ever converted to Orthodoxy?
I doubt a person involved in a same-sex marriage has yet converted to Orthodoxy, at least in the U.S., given that same-sex marriage has only recently been legalized. I don't doubt that it would eventually happen, in some form, at some point.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »

I doubt a person involved in a same-sex marriage has yet converted to Orthodoxy, at least in the U.S., given that same-sex marriage has only recently been legalized. I don't doubt that it would eventually happen, in some form, at some point.

Only loosely though, since the Church wouldn't recognise the union, surely?
Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »

Only loosely though, since the Church wouldn't recognise the union, surely?
Correct.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.