OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 06:09:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you going to see the new Noah movie that comes out on Friday?
Yes. Can't wait! - 6 (14.6%)
Yes, but not sure I'll like it. - 5 (12.2%)
Yes, though I am pretty sure I will disapprove of the way the story is done. - 3 (7.3%)
No, it looks stupid. - 8 (19.5%)
No. It looks blasphemous and typical Hollywood nonsense. - 15 (36.6%)
Other (explain if you wish) - 4 (9.8%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noah movie  (Read 2466 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

How's this avatar, Mor? An angel! Profane not!

« on: March 26, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »

Just wanted to get an idea. I saw Emma Watson on David Letterman last night. The movie looks like it might be decent so I'll see it, even if Emma Watson is the best thing in the movie. Russell Crowe is a great actor but it will be interesting to see if he can pull off a Noah. I always pictured Noah as having long hair and a long white beard, but that's because I saw him that way in a children's picture Bible story book. But I do dislike the fact that he is so young looking. Emma Watson said in the interview last night that she could not think of another actor playing Noah and I suppose Crowe is a good actor for the part but could they not at least have given him long white hair and a beard? Letterman I think was saying that he needed to be big and muscular to build that ark. I do not think so because I always pictured Noah as an old man with normal muscle of an old man but that he and his sons were able to build it by God's grace. But Crowe is a good actor and it will be interesting. Emma Watson is playing some adopted daughter of Noah. She said this character is not in the Bible but that women were not mentioned too much and the writer took some liberty. I suppose that liberty is not too much since the narrative of Noah may not have mentioned every detail. As long as there is not too much liberty I think the movie will be decent, though I doubt as good as The Ten Commandments.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:08:48 PM by wainscottbl » Logged

Aristotle says in the Metaphysics that "in mathematics goodness does not exist." It is a rather great quote to show to any math teacher when they tell you how important math is. Give them a riddle: I am not tall, I am not short, nor big nor take up any space but simply am. I have no name but I am.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »

I don't know. It looks ok. . . depends on when it comes out on dvd and whether I'm still interested then. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 04:45:51 PM »

Just wanted to get an idea. I saw Emma Watson on David Letterman last night. The movie looks like it might be decent so I'll see it, even if Emma Watson is the best thing in the movie. Russell Crowe is a great actor but it will be interesting to see if he can pull off a Noah. I always pictured Noah as having long hair and a long white beard, but that's because I saw him that way in a children's picture Bible story book. But I do dislike the fact that he is so young looking. Emma Watson said in the interview last night that she could not think of another actor playing Noah and I suppose Crowe is a good actor for the part but could they not at least have given him long white hair and a beard? Letterman I think was saying that he needed to be big and muscular to build that ark. I do not think so because I always pictured Noah as an old man with normal muscle of an old man but that he and his sons were able to build it by God's grace. But Crowe is a good actor and it will be interesting. Emma Watson is playing some adopted daughter of Noah. She said this character is not in the Bible but that women were not mentioned too much and the writer took some liberty. I suppose that liberty is not too much since the narrative of Noah may not have mentioned every detail. As long as there is not too much liberty I think the movie will be decent, though I doubt as good as The Ten Commandments.

I saw the interview as well and thought she was sweet and genuine. Letterman is always uneasy when celebrities come off as being real people rather than some media consultant's nightmare.

As she said, the Biblical context of the Flood and Noah is not lengthy so some 'creative license' would be expected for the backstory as is the case in almost all Biblical movies...As you said, let's hope it is not too outlandish.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »

The story is brought into the far future, in a post-apocalyptic setting. In short, forget most of what you know about the Biblical account.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. I squeed out loud at the cast list. Crowe, Watson, Jennifer Connelly, Anthony Hopkins and Frank Langella in the same gig? Definitely watching it; the theatre is out of the question, but Sky is good with premieres.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »

...Jennifer Connelly...

I just became interested in this film for the first time...  angel

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »

From what I've seen of the trailer, ISTM that this film's adherence to the Biblical story will be about the same as 300 was to the story of the 300 Spartans.  Tongue
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »

...Jennifer Connelly...

I just became interested in this film for the first time...  angel

I was sure Mrs Noah would bring her own fan club to the yard. Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 05:36:43 PM »

This guy is playing Ham:

"Then Noah began farming and planted a vineyard. He drank of the wine and became drunk, and uncovered himself inside his tent. Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it upon both their shoulders and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were turned away, so that they did not see their father’s nakedness. When Noah awoke from his wine, he knew what his youngest son had done to him. So he said, Cursed be Canaan; A servant of servants He shall be to his brothers."

The Talmud deduces two possible explanations, one attributed to Rab and one to Rabbi Samuel, for what Ham did to Noah to warrant the curse. According to Rab, Ham castrated Noah on the basis that, since Noah cursed Ham by his fourth son Canaan, Ham must have injured Noah with respect to a fourth son. Emasculating him thus deprived Noah of the possibility of a fourth son. According to Samuel, Ham sodomized Noah, a judgment that he based on analogy with another biblical incident in which the phrase "and he saw" is used: With regard to Ham and Noah, Genesis 9 reads, "And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without. And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness." In Genesis 34:2, it reads, "And when Shechem the son of Hamor saw her (Dinah), he took her and lay with her and defiled her." According to this argument, similar abuse must have happened each time that the Bible uses the same language. The Talmud concludes that, in fact, "both indignities were perpetrated." -Wikipedia
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:39:40 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 07:20:35 PM »

I saw the interview as well and thought she was sweet and genuine. Letterman is always uneasy when celebrities come off as being real people rather than some media consultant's nightmare.

As she said, the Biblical context of the Flood and Noah is not lengthy so some 'creative license' would be expected for the backstory as is the case in almost all Biblical movies...As you said, let's hope it is not too outlandish.

Yeah, I am not sure her beliefs but she seemed very friendly to the story and not all skeptical about it. Maybe she does not believe it, but she was friendly about it. And she is real, yes, and not fake. Aside from her beauty that is why I like her. She is real and has a real personality. And she can act. Letterman seems to be quite fond of her though. I think the uneasiness you see is his attraction to her. He said she looked beautiful in the movie and then kissed her hand as she left in a very clearly affectionate way.

Still, Letterman was really smug when he made it out to be that God called Noah up about the flood. She played it off by saying it sounds like God called Noah on a cell phone, but smiling so as to be cordial. Letterman was just ready to poke fun a Bible fairy tales in his own smug way and she was able, in her polite British way, to make humour of his jokes and defend the story. Still, I like Letterman as a late night comedian for some reason.

Aristotle says in the Metaphysics that "in mathematics goodness does not exist." It is a rather great quote to show to any math teacher when they tell you how important math is. Give them a riddle: I am not tall, I am not short, nor big nor take up any space but simply am. I have no name but I am.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »

According to Samuel, Ham sodomized Noah, ....

Huh

What?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »

Huh

What?

"Uncovering the nakedness" of someone is a euphemism. There is some disagreement as to what for.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:32:49 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »

Whenever Hollywood pedals "the untold story" of anything, especially when it comes to the Scriptures, I just face palm.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »

Huh

What?

Remember this is from the same book, forgive me, that calls the Most Blessed Virgin a harlot. Though it may be true on this case because Noah got pretty mad for Ham looking on him naked. Maybe it was a cultural thing, but it might imply sodomy in this case.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »

Huh

What?

"Uncovering the nakedness" of someone is a euphemism. There is some disagreement as to what for.

And to settle this disagreement, we turn to the wiki article on Talmudic interpretation?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »

That it's a euphemism isn't in dispute. Is it? It's in several places in the OT related to some type of violation of someone else, usually a woman (I think), and usually sexual contact implied (I think)?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »

Anytime Hollywood tries to depict any portion of the Bible I get concerned.  I've not seen this movie so I can not really judge either way, but I would be interested in knowing if Noah, in his thanksgiving to God, built an altar and had a sacrifice to GOD?  Was there the Rainbow?  Two of every perfect animal, but 7 of the imperfect ones.   I saw some Film shorts that the deluge the earth itself gave up its water which is correct, that is in addition to the rain from the firmament of heaven....  So, until I actually see the film I can not objectively criticize or applaud the way Noah was portrayed...  
PS I also understand from others that the word 'GOD' is not mentioned but a term "The Creator" is......would anyone have a problem with this?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:22:35 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »

Well, God is the Creator.

I would like to see this movie....it's just finding the time that is always an issue.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 06:47:09 PM »

PS I also understand from others that the word 'GOD' is not mentioned but a term "The Creator" is......would anyone have a problem with this?

Seems a bit silly, but even the word God can put people off.  While God is the Creator, the term "creator" doesn't necessarily include most aspects of God we would associate.  The creator was likely judged a safer bet though.  Not as lame or inaccurate as terms like "the universe," "cosmos," or "energy/energies" but still somewhat goofy to me.  Either way, my hopes aren't high for this movie.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »

Seems a bit silly, but even the word God can put people off.  While God is the Creator, the term "creator" doesn't necessarily include most aspects of God we would associate.  The creator was likely judged a safer bet though.  Not as lame or inaccurate as terms like "the universe," "cosmos," or "energy/energies" but still somewhat goofy to me.  Either way, my hopes aren't high for this movie.

Cog, have you seen the trailer for this movie? It's clear that it's made with entertainment in mind, not authenticity to scripture. Colored lights and whizzies.
Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 07:01:12 PM »

Gonna catch it at a matinee with the wife, this, or next Saturday.

but I'm really waiting to see how Ridley Scott does with The Exodus. supposed to be out in time for Christmas, Christian Bale is playing Moses

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »

Cog, have you seen the trailer for this movie? It's clear that it's made with entertainment in mind, not authenticity to scripture. Colored lights and whizzies.

Yeah, and I'm familiar with the director, so I had an idea of what was coming.  The decision to avoid using the word "God" doesn't surprise me at all, really.  I hope it's got some sweet explosions and shiny things though.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »

I would not spend dime one to view this one. A waste.

I would rather put an extra $25 in the basket at church instead.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:11 AM »

Huh

What?

And to settle this disagreement, we turn to the wiki article on Talmudic interpretation?
Rather, it presents the disagreement in a general/introductory way.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Warned
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 01:03:58 AM »

Why does this sound so -unappealing-? 

laugh laugh laugh

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »

I heard there was rock people who talk to Noah and that Noah wants to kill his entire family in the movie at some point.

Thank you.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 08:44:29 AM »

Sounds boring.

The apocalypse as a genre has been played.

Maybe it's a sign of the times, but I've seen the world end enough times to stop being fascinated by it.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 08:46:09 AM »

Who plays the floating salesman that sells Noah liquor?

JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »

Sounds boring.

The apocalypse as a genre has been played.

Maybe it's a sign of the times, but I've seen the world end enough times to stop being fascinated by it.

If I were going to see this movie, I would surely bone-up on Genesis and see if the Movie matches the story line.   In any event, it is always wise to take movies such as this with a 'grain of salt'.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »

I can count on one hand the number of movies I have been to in the last decade.

However, this seems action packed, easy on the eyes, and perhaps even "Biblical".  Wink  I wouldn't go see it to learn about the Faith, however, I might simply enjoy it as a movie about characters whom I already know and hold dear.

—St. Isaac of Syria
john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »

So... anyone seen it yet?  Skimmed through some reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  Mostly positive. 

Slightly on topic; is there a consensus on the historicity of Noah in the OC?

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »

So... anyone seen it yet?  Skimmed through some reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  Mostly positive. 

I dare say that if one is Not familiar with this part of the OT  he or she would not be able to discern any errors or the liberties that may have been taken to produce this movie.  But, if you are looking for entertainment I guess it wouldn't hurt to see it.  I understand it is a play on environmentalism but we all know that's not the reason for the flood. 
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »

It was pretty weird.  It was ok as a movie, as a retelling of scriptures not so much.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »

I dare say that if one is Not familiar with this part of the OT  he or she would not be able to discern any errors or the liberties that may have been taken to produce this movie.  But, if you are looking for entertainment I guess it wouldn't hurt to see it.  I understand it is a play on environmentalism but we all know that's not the reason for the flood

Revelation 11:18 says that God will destroy those who destroy the earth.  Of course, this isn't connected to the flood.  It's simply the only verse in Scripture that I know of which can be said to be about environmentalism.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »

A man on the radio was talking about it.  All he talked about were the rock monsters.

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »

A man on the radio was talking about it.  All he talked about were the rock monsters.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about the first Hobbit film?

—G.K. Chesterton
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »

Are you sure he wasn't talking about the first Hobbit film?

Cheesy

JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »

I dare say that if one is Not familiar with this part of the OT  he or she would not be able to discern any errors or the liberties that may have been taken to produce this movie.  But, if you are looking for entertainment I guess it wouldn't hurt to see it.  I understand it is a play on environmentalism but we all know that's not the reason for the flood

Revelation 11:18 says that God will destroy those who destroy the earth.  Of course, this isn't connected to the flood.  It's simply the only verse in Scripture that I know of which can be said to be about environmentalism.

I tend to think that the word "destroy" may not refer directly to this environmental issue but maybe to the morality of mankind in general.  The environment may only play a very little part IF AT ALL,of what Revelations implies...
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »

Not monsters, fallen angels trapped in rock bodies as punishment for descending to Earth.  Think Nephilim meets the Thing.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »

Not monsters, fallen angels trapped in rock bodies as punishment for descending to Earth.  Think Nephilim meets the Thing.

Which is probably something the radio announcer couldn't explain.  Makes as much sense as "rock monsters".

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »

So, I was made aware of this review:

http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/03/29/im-a-christian-and-i-think-noah-deserves-a-four-star-review/

I am now not so sure I am willing to dish out the cash to go see it.

I was hoping for something edifying.....bummer.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox Church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »

http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/03/29/im-a-christian-and-i-think-noah-deserves-a-four-star-review/

Shocked This movie is a train wreck and a mockery of the Bible and Christianity. I mean seriously, Noah being friends with the fallen angels and having murderous infanticide obsessions? Why are we allowing Hollywood to hijack the Bible? We should copyright it or something.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:17:28 AM by Laird » Logged
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »

Shocked This movie is a train wreck and a mockery of the Bible and Christianity. I mean seriously, Noah being friends with the fallen angels and having murderous infanticide obsessions? Why are we allowing Hollywood to hijack the Bible? We should copyright it or something.  Wink

Did we ever expect this to turn out any differently?  Me? As soon as I saw Russel Crowe was in it, I lost all hope of it being anything Christian.

—G.K. Chesterton
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 02:34:27 PM »

A man on the radio was talking about it.  All he talked about were the rock monsters.
....fallen angels trapped in rock bodies....
...an idea straight from The Book of Enoch (which, if I'm not mistaken, is canon in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church):

Chapter X:

"(4) And again the Lord said to Raphael: 'Bind Azâzêl hand and foot, and cast him into the darkness: and make an opening in the desert, which is in Dûdâêl, and cast him therein. (5) And place upon him rough and jagged rocks, and cover him with darkness, and let him abide there for ever....' "
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:38:05 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »

Huh

What?

Odox don't OT.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »

I was hoping The Fantastic 4 would make it back to the big screen.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: