Author Topic: How Dangerous is Smokeless Tobacco  (Read 4828 times)

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
How Dangerous is Smokeless Tobacco
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »
Recently I started using Copenhagen Long Cut "dipping" tobacco and I've found that I really enjoy it--more so than cigars and smoking tobacco. My favorite flavor is Mint. I go through about a circular can a month. I want some real, unbiased sources and knowledge on just how dangerous--if at all--this really is for my health. Should I stop before I become addicted? Does anyone here have any experience with it? I love that lucid, uplifting feeling I get from the nicotine buzz  :laugh:

So, realistically, is this stuff dangerous? My mom hates seeing me do it because she says it will ruin my teeth that she spent money getting braces on when I was in 6-7th grade.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
Re: How Dangerous is Smokeless Tobacco
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »
Recently I started using Copenhagen Long Cut "dipping" tobacco and I've found that I really enjoy it--more so than cigars and smoking tobacco. My favorite flavor is Mint. I go through about a circular can a month. I want some real, unbiased sources and knowledge on just how dangerous--if at all--this really is for my health. Should I stop before I become addicted? Does anyone here have any experience with it? I love that lucid, uplifting feeling I get from the nicotine buzz  :laugh:

So, realistically, is this stuff dangerous? My mom hates seeing me do it because she says it will ruin my teeth that she spent money getting braces on when I was in 6-7th grade.

Mint. Gross.

Snus. The real stuff.

Your welcome.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »
Recently I started using Copenhagen Long Cut "dipping" tobacco and I've found that I really enjoy it--more so than cigars and smoking tobacco. My favorite flavor is Mint. I go through about a circular can a month. I want some real, unbiased sources and knowledge on just how dangerous--if at all--this really is for my health. Should I stop before I become addicted? Does anyone here have any experience with it? I love that lucid, uplifting feeling I get from the nicotine buzz  :laugh:

Common sense should tell you that if you have something as abrasive as smokeless tobacco rubbing against your teeth and gums all day every day you're very quickly going to lose tooth enamel and your gums. The end result of all this is that you'll lose your teeth.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:26:22 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
Recently I started using Copenhagen Long Cut "dipping" tobacco and I've found that I really enjoy it--more so than cigars and smoking tobacco. My favorite flavor is Mint. I go through about a circular can a month. I want some real, unbiased sources and knowledge on just how dangerous--if at all--this really is for my health. Should I stop before I become addicted? Does anyone here have any experience with it? I love that lucid, uplifting feeling I get from the nicotine buzz  :laugh:

Common sense should tell you that if you have something as abrasive as smokeless tobacco rubbing against your teeth and gums all day every day you're very quickly going to lose tooth enamel and your gums. The end result of all this is that you'll lose your teeth.

Might not need those teeth when the oral cancer happens...
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »

Seeing that you asked for real, unbiased--I assume you mean outside--sources on the dangers of smokeless tobacco, let me list a couple or three:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/smokeless
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/smokeless-tobacco
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/smokelesstobacco.html

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:48:26 PM »
Addictive and expensive
Learn meditation.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »

Yup. And orthonorm's "advice" is disgusting, if not criminal. Nasal and pharyngeal cancer, anyone? Lovely ....  :P :P :P >:(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:44:30 PM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »

Yup. And orthonorm's "advice" is disgusting, if not criminal. Nasal and pharyngeal cancer, anyone? Lovely ....  :P :P :P >:(

You have no idea what you are talking about. If I get time I'll demonstrate once again you rarely have any notion of what you are talking about. You post only suggests you were close to someone who died from disease which happens more frequently and earlier within tobacco users. That is all.

Please attempt to convict me of my crime. In the meantime, look at the health outcomes for those using non-cured oral tobacco. Hard to differentiate them from non-users.

I doubt you know much about the differences in orally used tobaccos. I grew up for a greater portion of my life in tobacco country.

Again, I'll post even more criminal stuff later.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:53:45 PM by orthonorm »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
You post only suggests you were close to someone who died from disease which happens more frequently and earlier within tobacco users. That is all.

Your presumption, as usual, is wrong. But you have a record of closing your eyes and ears to anything I say, so there's no point in me elaborating further on your errors.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:25:54 AM »

You have no idea what you are talking about. If I get time I'll demonstrate once again you rarely have any notion of what you are talking about. You post only suggests you were close to someone who died from disease which happens more frequently and earlier within tobacco users. That is all.

Please attempt to convict me of my crime. In the meantime, look at the health outcomes for those using non-cured oral tobacco. Hard to differentiate them from non-users.

I doubt you know much about the differences in orally used tobaccos. I grew up for a greater portion of my life in tobacco country.

Can you explain to me the difference between cured and non cured oral tobacco? I'm new to this. Is Copenhagen's Long Cut stuff non-cured? What product would you recommend for a newcomer like me? Preferably safer.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:14:55 AM »

Can you explain to me the difference between cured and non cured oral tobacco? I'm new to this. Is Copenhagen's Long Cut stuff non-cured? What product would you recommend for a newcomer like me? Preferably safer.
You will listen to whom you will listen to. ::) You asked for objective sources that point out the dangers of smokeless tobacco, and I provided some. Have you not read them?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:53 AM »

You will listen to whom you will listen to. ::) You asked for objective sources that point out the dangers of smokeless tobacco, and I provided some. Have you not read them?

He'd rather take the "advice" of Guru Orthonorm than that of health professionals who've done the research and/or who see and deal with the results of tobacco use in the course of their clinical and surgical practices.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:58 AM »

He'd rather take the "advice" of Guru Orthonorm than that of health professionals who've done the research and/or who see and deal with the results of tobacco use in the course of their clinical and surgical practices.
Hell, even just reading the sources I provided and choosing to dispute them for reasonable cause is better than ignoring them and following blindly after orthonorm just because orthonorm takes the time to flatter him.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:37:13 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 01:43:09 AM »

DO NOT USE EITHER.

Why do people think that they must use tobacco or drink alcohol as a sign that they have "grown up"?

If you had a girl friend, she would be repulsed if you wanted to kiss her with all that thick brown saliva in your mouth. It could be a real turn off. Do you have a spitoon too?
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 01:52:28 AM »

Hell, even just reading the sources I provided and choosing to dispute them for reasonable cause is better than following blindly after orthonorm just because orthonorm takes the time to flatter him.

Perfectly stated.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 02:26:18 AM »

DO NOT USE EITHER.

Why do people think that they must use tobacco or drink alcohol as a sign that they have "grown up"?
What problem do you have with alcohol, Maria? After all, wine is a central part of most of our Church's liturgical services. (On second thought, don't answer that question, for it's not relevant to this thread.)

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 02:27:37 AM »

I read them all, and while being helpful, they were still vague. They virtually all point out that there's a correlation between smokeless tobacco and cancer, but neither of them have explained HOW strong this risk or correlation is. Nowadays it seems like even drinking water causes cancer.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 02:27:37 AM »
DO NOT USE EITHER

Well I actually tried it for curiousity's sake after a friend purchased a can and I started enjoying it. I'd be completely willing to quit if I had sufficient evidence that it was significantly harmful to my health. I hardly ever use it anyhow--only about a can a month. I do it because I enjoy the nicotine buzz and I've found that it helps relieve my migraines.

If you had a girl friend, she would be repulsed if you wanted to kiss her with all that thick brown saliva in your mouth. It could be a real turn off.

Well at least there'd be less temptation to fornicate. I wouldn't be able to resist a turned-on female.

Do you have a spitoon too?

I wish! But my family won't let me because they think they're repulsive.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 02:29:13 AM »

I read them all, and while being helpful, they were still vague. They virtually all point out that there's a correlation between smokeless tobacco and cancer, but neither of them have explained HOW strong this risk or correlation is. Nowadays it seems like even drinking water causes cancer.
Dude, if you can think that, then you're far too cynical for any reasonable person to reach you. ::)

BTW, you might try reading this if you want an actual explanation of how smokeless tobacco is thought to increase your risk of cancer:
http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20120822/cancer-causing-chemical-in-smokeless-tobacco
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:39:11 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 02:30:37 AM »
DO NOT USE EITHER

Well I actually tried it for curiousity's sake after a friend purchased a can and I started enjoying it. I'd be completely willing to quit if I had sufficient evidence that it was significantly harmful to my health. I hardly ever use it anyhow--only about a can a month. I do it because I enjoy the nicotine buzz and I've found that it helps relieve my migraines.

If you had a girl friend, she would be repulsed if you wanted to kiss her with all that thick brown saliva in your mouth. It could be a real turn off.

Well at least there'd be less temptation to fornicate. I wouldn't be able to resist a turned-on female.
Masturbation may keep you from fornicating, but the Church frowns on both. So what's your point?

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 02:37:01 AM »
There is no such thing as safe tobacco, anymore than there is "safe heroin". Your body is a temple, not a junk yard.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:38:14 AM by Tallitot »
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 07:15:37 AM »
I am a pipe smoker of 45-50 years who smokes maybe 2- 3 cigars a year and I detest cigarettes. But smokeless tobacco is absolutely the worst from a health perspective. Blood tests for nicotine cannot discern a non-smoker from a pipe smoker, but smokeless users are get TWICE dose of cigarette users (who get 200 times the pipe guys).
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 07:28:27 AM »
There is no such thing as safe tobacco, anymore than there is "safe heroin". Your body is a temple, not a junk yard.

This.

Offline AMichael

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
As a former user of smokeless tobacco of 20 years, I can tell you this. You will lose most of your teeth at the minimum. Thank God, I never got cancer from it. Its a nasty habit and hard to break once you get started. People say its harder to quit than cigarettes. I got off of it using non-tobacco snuff. Comes in mint as well as many other flavors.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 11:28:36 AM »
I am a pipe smoker of 45-50 years who smokes maybe 2- 3 cigars a year and I detest cigarettes. But smokeless tobacco is absolutely the worst from a health perspective. Blood tests for nicotine cannot discern a non-smoker from a pipe smoker, but smokeless users are get TWICE dose of cigarette users (who get 200 times the pipe guys).

Pipe is probably the best way to go.  I dabbled (and dribbled) with dip for a bit.  You get a monstrous nicotine buzz.  It's different from the one you get when smoking a harsh cigar.  I had to quick because it played hell on my gag reflex and puking when you have a mouthful of wintergreen skoal is a very unpleasant experience.  I tried proper chewing tobacco once.  It was one of the more vile things I have done in my time.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »

You ought to ditch that stuff and fast.  I know people who got mouth and jaw cancer from that stuff and died way too young. 

It's poison. 

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 11:42:31 AM »

Pipe is probably the best way to go.  I dabbled (and dribbled) with dip for a bit.  You get a monstrous nicotine buzz.  It's different from the one you get when smoking a harsh cigar.  I had to quick because it played hell on my gag reflex and puking when you have a mouthful of wintergreen skoal is a very unpleasant experience.  I tried proper chewing tobacco once.  It was one of the more vile things I have done in my time.

Nothing is even better.  I know a pipe smoker, an active guy, who is now incapacitated from advanced stage heart failure.  If he hadn't smoked the pipe he might have gotten to enjoy life and his family, and they him, for another 20 years.  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:42:48 AM by Yurysprudentsiya »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »

Pipe is probably the best way to go.  I dabbled (and dribbled) with dip for a bit.  You get a monstrous nicotine buzz.  It's different from the one you get when smoking a harsh cigar.  I had to quick because it played hell on my gag reflex and puking when you have a mouthful of wintergreen skoal is a very unpleasant experience.  I tried proper chewing tobacco once.  It was one of the more vile things I have done in my time.

Nothing is even better.  I know a pipe smoker, an active guy, who is now incapacitated from advanced stage heart failure.  If he hadn't smoked the pipe he might have gotten to enjoy life and his family, and they him, for another 20 years.  
Anecdotal evidence really isn't proof of anything and can be considered quite biased--not the things I think James has requested. Besides, you should know that correlation does not prove causation. This is a pipe smoker now incapacitated by advanced stage heart failure. Do you know if there were any other factors that could have led to this guy's heart failure--for instance, poor diet, poor nutrition, diabetes, obesity, etc.? Why do you associate his heart failure so quickly with his pipe smoking?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:55:57 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »

Anecdotal evidence really isn't proof of anything and can be considered quite biased--not the things I think James has requested. Besides, you should know that correlation does not prove causation. This is a pipe smoker now incapacitated by advanced stage heart failure. Do you know if there were any other factors that could have led to this guy's heart failure? Why do you associate his heart failure so quickly with his pipe smoking?

I know of no other risk factors.  I only know of one other person who developed advanced heart failure at such an age - also a heavy smoker.   That person is now deceased. 

One may have recourse to scientific studies but when one encounters the proverbial duck, it is the height of lunacy, in my view, to pretend that it might be a disguised sheep.

The evils of tobacco are so well known that I'm surprised anyone who is moderately informed even considers its use.  Those already addicted are a different, sad, story.   

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »

James wants -concrete- proof...people have given him scientific studies...which he has read and decided that they do not prove that 100% of people have issues.

He is young and thus reckless and assumes that he will miraculously be that person who has nothing bad happen.

People have given 1st person stories of tooth loss...etc....again, he assumes he will not be -that- one.

There is no point in attempting to prove a -risk- to someone who wants it to be black and white....they will never fully believe that their odds are not good.

Much like the gambling in Las Vegas is designed to make the casino money at your expense, while you still hear 'tales of winners', the tobacco industry has been proven to be making money at your expense, despite the tales of 'survivors with no ill effects'.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »

Anecdotal evidence really isn't proof of anything and can be considered quite biased--not the things I think James has requested. Besides, you should know that correlation does not prove causation. This is a pipe smoker now incapacitated by advanced stage heart failure. Do you know if there were any other factors that could have led to this guy's heart failure? Why do you associate his heart failure so quickly with his pipe smoking?

I know of no other risk factors.  I only know of one other person who developed advanced heart failure at such an age - also a heavy smoker.   That person is now deceased.
You didn't say that the guy was a heavy pipe smoker. That word in itself would have painted a different picture. Even so, it's  still a logical fallacy to say, "This guy was a heavy pipe smoker. Now he has advanced stage heart failure. Therefore, his pipe smoking must have caused his heart failure."

One may have recourse to scientific studies but when one encounters the proverbial duck, it is the height of lunacy, in my view, to pretend that it might be a disguised sheep.
When trying to convince someone else of the dangers of smokeless tobacco use, however, and when the person we're trying to convince asked for unbiased evidence and is smart enough to recognize the fallacy of anecdotal evidence, I don't think you're going to convince him by telling him about a man you know who was once a heavy pipe smoker and now has heart failure.

The evils of tobacco are so well known that I'm surprised anyone who is moderately informed even considers its use.
You do realize that there's a difference between regular use and maybe once-a-year use?

Those already addicted are a different, sad, story.   
Personally, I recognize that this thread was started to ask for advice specifically on the use of smokeless tobacco, as opposed to other forms of tobacco. Therefore, I would like to stick to the subject of the OP and talk about smokeless tobacco. Let's not confuse James by talking about anything else.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »

James wants -concrete- proof...people have given him scientific studies...which he has read and decided that they do not prove that 100% of people have issues.

He is young and thus reckless and assumes that he will miraculously be that person who has nothing bad happen.

People have given 1st person stories of tooth loss...etc....again, he assumes he will not be -that- one.

There is no point in attempting to prove a -risk- to someone who wants it to be black and white....they will never fully believe that their odds are not good.

Much like the gambling in Las Vegas is designed to make the casino money at your expense, while you still hear 'tales of winners', the tobacco industry has been proven to be making money at your expense, despite the tales of 'survivors with no ill effects'.

Yup. My dad was a regular tobacco user (one pack of cigarettes a day), and he died of a heart attack at 36--of course, he was also dangerously overweight at the end of this life. George Burns was an avid tobacco user (cigars) for most of his life, and he lived to be 100. Is there any consistency between these facts? No. Not at all. But through the reading of scientific studies that cover a large sampling of the population, we are able to recognize trends in the data and see how the use of smokeless tobacco increases one's risk for life-threatening diseases. Does it prove that 100% of those who use smokeless tobacco will lose their teeth or die of mouth cancer? No. The data can only show us that the probability of such illnesses is made higher by the use of smokeless tobacco.

Now, does James want to heed the data he requested, or does he want to think, "P'shaw! That will never happen to ME!"? I don't know. There's that old proverb about leading a horse to water that comes to mind.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:24:07 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Smokeless tobacco may keep him from fornicating, in a way. It's hard to fornicate when he's dead.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
Real, pure, tobacco in moderation isn't that bad for your health when you smoke it. The stuff sold in cigarette form isn't anything even close to tobacco. It would be like saying that velveeta is cheese; it is cheese-food, not cheese. Cigarettes are tobacco-product, not tobacco.

That said; snuff isn't very good for your oral health. It wouldn't be healthy to hold a mouthful of earl grey in your mouth. It is even less healthy to hold snuff in your mouth. If you *must* use snuff; go for the actual tobacco rather than the tobacco-product. It will be FAR more expensive, so you won't be likely to use it often lest you go broke. But when you do use it, it will be in smaller amounts of a higher quality.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »
Because of signing up with a special forum, actually quit dipping snuff tobacco ... By "quit" means having discontinued until the addiction dispelled then may try again in the future.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:34:17 PM by WPM »
Learn meditation.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »
Real, pure, tobacco in moderation isn't that bad for your health when you smoke it. The stuff sold in cigarette form isn't anything even close to tobacco. It would be like saying that velveeta is cheese; it is cheese-food, not cheese. Cigarettes are tobacco-product, not tobacco.

That said; snuff isn't very good for your oral health. It wouldn't be healthy to hold a mouthful of earl grey in your mouth. It is even less healthy to hold snuff in your mouth. If you *must* use snuff; go for the actual tobacco rather than the tobacco-product. It will be FAR more expensive, so you won't be likely to use it often lest you go broke. But when you do use it, it will be in smaller amounts of a higher quality.

Whenever my husband and I have had oral surgery (wisdom teeth removed), the dentist suggest that we put a tea bag where the teeth were removed and bite down on it. The tannins in the tea helped to stop the bleeding.

Hey, why not try medical marijuana ... that you can use as food in salads and drinks, but not smoke.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:57:48 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
That would be fine as a temporary fix, but no dentist would say that you should hold tea in your mouth to the extent that one does snuff.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »

Benedicta tu inter mulieres. 

Blessed are you among women.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 10:06:20 PM »
That would be fine as a temporary fix, but no dentist would say that you should hold tea in your mouth to the extent that one does snuff.

The teabag fix is also suggested if bleeding continues after your supply of sterile gauze pads given post-operatively to bite on have run out. It is never given as the primary remedy for post-operative bleeding.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:12 PM »

Benedicta tu inter mulieres. 

Blessed are you among women.

Oh, our ZZ is a treasure indeed!  :)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »

I've used snuff tobacco many times, ... I would rather quit now.
Learn meditation.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 12:08:32 AM »

I hope this helps:

• Besides lung cancer, tobacco use also increases the risk for cancers of the mouth, lips, nose and sinuses, larynx (voice box), pharynx (throat), esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, uterus, cervix, colon/rectum, ovary (mucinous), and acute myeloid leukemia. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)
  • In the United States, tobacco use is responsible for nearly 1 in 5 deaths; this equals about 480,000 early deaths each year. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014; and US Surgeon General Report 2014)
  • Tobacco use accounts for at least 30% of all cancer deaths, causing 87% of lung cancer deaths in men, and 70% of lung cancer deaths in women. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)

You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 12:40:40 AM »
I prefer the Surgeon General's report. Less slant, more raw fact.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 01:52:28 AM »

I hope this helps:

• Besides lung cancer, tobacco use also increases the risk for cancers of the mouth, lips, nose and sinuses, larynx (voice box), pharynx (throat), esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, uterus, cervix, colon/rectum, ovary (mucinous), and acute myeloid leukemia. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)
  • In the United States, tobacco use is responsible for nearly 1 in 5 deaths; this equals about 480,000 early deaths each year. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014; and US Surgeon General Report 2014)
  • Tobacco use accounts for at least 30% of all cancer deaths, causing 87% of lung cancer deaths in men, and 70% of lung cancer deaths in women. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)

This is about tobacco use in general. James asked for facts on smokeless tobacco in specific.