OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:40:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenian village of Kessab attacked and emptied of its people  (Read 2509 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: March 23, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »

I heard about this just this morning at church.  It's very upsetting:

Reports Cite 80 Dead in Kessab; Churches Desecrated

KESSAB, Syria–The Armenian populated villages of Kessab, Syria were the target of three days of brutal cross-border attacks from Turkey by al-Qaeda affiliated armed bands, which have cost 80 lives and forced the civilian population of the area to flee to neighboring hills, with many seeking safe-haven in the nearby cities of Latakia and Basit.

According to news reports, the armed incursion began on Friday, March 21, 2014, at 5:45a.m., with rebels associated with Al-Qaeda’s al-Nusra Front, Sham al-Islam and Ansar al-Sham crossing the Turkish border and attacking the Armenian civilian population of Kessab. The attackers immediately seized two guard posts overlooking Kessab, including a strategic hill known as Observatory 45 and later took over the border crossing point with Turkey. Snipers targeted the civilian population and launched mortar attacks on the town and the surrounding villages.

According to eyewitness accounts, the attackers crossed the Turkish border with Syria openly passing through Turkish military barracks. According to Turkish media reports, the attackers carried their injured back to Turkey for treatment in the town of Yayladagi.

Some 670 Armenian families, the majority of the population of Kessab, were evacuated by the local Armenian community leadership to safer areas in neighboring Basit and Latakia. Ten to fifteen families with relations too elderly to move were either unable to leave or chose to stay in their homes.

...on Sunday, March 23, the extremist groups once again entered the town of Kessab, took the remaining Armenian families hostage, desecrated the town’s three Armenian churches, pillaging local residences and occupying the town and surrounding villages.

Read the whole article here:

http://asbarez.com/121007/reports-cite-80-dead-in-kessab-churches-desecrated/

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »

Lord, have mercy  Sad

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:16:27 PM »

Lord have mercy!

I wasn't even aware that Syria had Armenian villages.  I thought they were all in the cities.  Lord preserve them!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:20:29 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »

Sad
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:40:13 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Is the Primate of Damascus still in the US?  I saw him when he was here for a meeting in DC (the one where Mr McCain had a senior moment). 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:03:10 PM »

Lord have mercy!

I wasn't even aware that Syria had Armenian villages.  I thought they were all in the cities.  Lord preserve them!

I think Kessab is a collection of ancient villages that the Armenians have inhabited for several centuries.  I knew some Kessabtsis back in my college days.  They have their own subculture and even a different way of speaking Armenian.  They really identify with where they came from.  They are not just Armenian.  They are Kessabtsis.   Smiley

I think the late Catholicos Karekin I was a Kessabtsi.

They suffered greatly during the time of the Genocide, but the survivors went back to their villages.  I am sure that when this current ordeal is over, they will return again.  They have a reputation for being very tough.  Having endured what they have endured in the past, it is no wonder.  Still, with what is going on right now, they need our prayers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:05:41 PM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 11:07:05 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Is the Primate of Damascus still in the US?  I saw him when he was here for a meeting in DC (the one where Mr McCain had a senior moment). 

I saw him when he was in Los Angeles.  I can't imagine the burden that he carries.  I don't know if he is still in the US.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:17:10 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Salpy, I am praying for you too!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 01:35:09 AM »

Lord have mercy.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »

Lord have mercy.  May God protect His people.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »

God so loved the Armenians that He gave them a very heavy cross to carry.   

Lord have mercy.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »

That's so sad.

I pray for peace in that region...and the safety of the inhabitants.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »

I had read that the Syrian Arab Army is already beginning to launch a counterattack within this region. They captured Crac de Chaveliers, Al-Qusair and Yabrud, so this village shouldn't be too difficult for them. Hopefully they can recapture the city so that these families can return to their homes.

Lord, have mercy!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:53:01 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »

I had read that the Syrian Arab Army is already beginning to launch a counterattack within this region. They captured Crac de Chaveliers, Al-Qusair and Yabrud, so this village shouldn't be too difficult for them. Hopefully they can recapture the city so that these families can return to their homes.

Lord, have mercy!

God grant it! "O Lord, save Your people..."

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 06:47:28 PM »

Lord have mercy.

St. Michael, pray for us.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Looks like they already have:

http://www.aysor.am/en/news/2014/03/25/kesab-syria/

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »

The religion of peace is at it again.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:55:32 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

God bless the Syrian army.  Is there anyone holding Turkey's feet to the fire re: facilitating these attacks and harboring these terrorists?  I doubt it.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 01:03:33 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

There are conflicting reports, and unfortunately, the latest word is that the terrorists still are in Kessab:

http://massispost.com/2014/03/kessab-remains-under-the-control-of-islamist-fighters/

The Kessab committee of the Social Democrat Hunchakian Party (SDHP) has dismissed reports that the Syrian army liberated the Armenian-populated city of Kessab.

“According to confirmed information, the islamist fighters are moving towards Latakia, where the Armenians of Kessab have found refuge,” SDHP Armenia Chairman Narek Galstyan said in a Facebook post.

He said Kessab is being robbed with the stolen property being transported to Turkey. Turkish servicemen are actively supporting the rebels.

Here is an article describing the looting that is taking place, and how the terrorists are mistreating the elderly and infirm who could not move:

http://asbarez.com/121079/armenian-homes-in-kessab-looted-occupied/

People who fled are calling their home phones, and the terrorists who are occupying their homes are answering, some in Turkish.

The President of Armenia has gone to The Hague where he has protested what is happening.  In his speech, he touched upon the history of Kessab:

The President expressed his deep concern over the events in Kessab. “All of us perfectly remember the history of Kessab, which was unfortunately full of hellish realities of deportations in the last 100 years,” said Serzh Sargsyan.

The President noted that the first scourge was back in April 1909 when the Turkish armed detachments invaded Kessab. The Armenians took shelter in mountain Garaturan and on the coast. After setting Kessab on fire and plundering it, Turks made their way to Garaturan, burned and looted the houses of the upper district. A French ship transported Armenians to Latakia. After living in Latakia for one year, the emigrants returned to Kessab and rebuilt their houses.

When touching upon the historical facts, Serzh Sargsyan also recalled another date – events of 1915, when the Kessab population also experienced migration and exiles of the Armenian Genocide. Armenians of Kessab were exiled in two directions: to Deir ez-Zor and to the south up to Jordan. Thousands died en route, the majority perished in Deir ez-Zor deserts.

http://www.panorama.am/en/politics/2014/03/25/president-kessab-statement/

The Kessabtsis, like all Christians being persecuted in Syria right now, still need our prayers.  Thank you, everyone, for your continued prayers.

Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »

God so loved the Armenians that He gave them a very heavy cross to carry.   

Lord have mercy.

Indeed! I think no other Christian community has undergone through such permanent persecution and suffering like our Armenian brothers and sisters.  Sad

But, I'm certain 'the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.'

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »

Genocidal murders. Lord, have mercy and memory eternal to the martyrs. May the evildoers repent before its too late.

Antiochian OC N.A.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »

The religion of peace is at it again.
One thing I was a bit surprised about was that the Young Turks or CNF were the ones who carried out the Armenian Genocide of 1.5 people. They overthrew the Sultan and were secularists, both of which was a major break with Turkish Muslim society. The Turkish secular political movement was the one that made it so that the Hagia Sophia was no longer a working mosque. Typically I thought of this Turkish secular movement as a very positive, modern development, and in fact it was originally welcomed by Greeks and Armenians who were in Turkey.
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 07:29:02 PM »

One thing I was a bit surprised about was that the Young Turks or CNF were the ones who carried out the Armenian Genocide of 1.5 people. They overthrew the Sultan and were secularists, both of which was a major break with Turkish Muslim society. The Turkish secular political movement was the one that made it so that the Hagia Sophia was no longer a working mosque. Typically I thought of this Turkish secular movement as a very positive, modern development, and in fact it was originally welcomed by Greeks and Armenians who were in Turkey.

Instead of being based around Islam, it was based upon pan-Turkish nationalism, envisioning a Turkish mega-state and endeavoring to force a Turkish identity on the subject peoples remaining in its truncated domain.  We see what happened to the Greeks, Suryoyo, Armenians, Kurds and others.  Enver and Kemal's pipe dream:

WPM
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Pray for us.
Archon

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 07:36:02 PM »

Huh I'm not familiar with an obscure village in that part of the world.
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »

Huh I'm not familiar with an obscure village in that part of the world.

The point is that it is an Orthodox Christian village, predominantly Armenian, that is being targeted for eradication by Islamist rebels attacking with near impunity from strongholds across the border  in Turkey.  Please pray for its inhabitants.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 01:29:17 AM »

The Syrian army has regained at least 2/3rds of Kessab and their are reports that the city has already been liberated. Al-Qaeda militants are said to have begun withdrawing from the city.

Al-Qaeda driving away from Kessab, towards Turkey

http://asbarez.com/124113/militants-being-driven-out-of-kessab/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:29:45 AM by Severian » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 01:35:09 AM »

Thank God. 

I'll probably hear more about this tomorrow at Church.  Let's hope the withdrawal of the terrorists continues. 

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »

Thank God. 

I'll probably hear more about this tomorrow at Church.  Let's hope the withdrawal of the terrorists continues. 
Not only in Kasab, but in Aleppo and elsewhere. God grant it!

I've heard no news on what they are doing to the Christians in North Iraq in their new gains, except that the burned down an Assyrian church.  I shudder to think what more has happened.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »

The Syrian Arab Army (I.e. government forces) is now in full control of Kessab

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/06/15/367038/syria-army-recaptures-major-town/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:11:44 PM by Severian » Logged

Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »

A song for Kassab by Ali Barakat, a famous Lebanese singer who produces nasheeds and songs for the Hezbollah Resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6HipQadBKo

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 11:56:39 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 01:28:42 AM »

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/06/15/367038/syria-army-recaptures-major-town/

Thank God! Perhaps they can turn to Raqqa and Mosul next...

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 01:58:39 AM »

The Syrian air force has begun striking ISIS targets elsewhere in the region, including Raqqa. Hopefully they can liberate the oil-rich town and end the plight of the Christians living there. The militants in Raqqa have enforced Islamic law, imposed the dhimmitude status on Christians and have already crucified two believers.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:03:18 AM by Severian » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »

The Syrian air force has begun striking ISIS targets elsewhere in the region, including Raqqa. Hopefully they can liberate the oil-rich town and end the plight of the Christians living there. The militants in Raqqa have enforced Islamic law, imposed the dhimmitude status on Christians and have already crucified two believers.

Were the militants who took Kessab ISIS? I thought they were affiliated with al-Qaeda. From what I've read ISIS is it's own thing and has been fighting the other rebels, including al-Qaeda-affiliated groups, as well as Assad. Indeed, I also read that Assad was abetting ISIS in order to weaken the rest of the opposition.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »

I think in Kessab there were three groups:  al-Nusra Front, Sham al-Islam and Ansar al-Sham.

I hear that people are starting to go back now.  Let's hope and pray that they are protected from further invasions.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »

A post about NATO and other entities was split off and put into our private Politics forum:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,59064.0.html

If anyone wants to join the private forums, they need to pm Fr. George and ask him for admission.

therovingmethodist

Faith: Catecuhmen
Jurisdiction: OCA

A very bad Christian

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »

Lord have mercy! Memory eternal!

"One Bishop to rule them all, One Bishop to find them, One Bishop to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
-Kostac
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2014, 02:39:06 PM »

Were the militants who took Kessab ISIS? I thought they were affiliated with al-Qaeda. From what I've read ISIS is it's own thing and has been fighting the other rebels, including al-Qaeda-affiliated groups, as well as Assad. Indeed, I also read that Assad was abetting ISIS in order to weaken the rest of the opposition.
don't believe everything you read.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2014, 09:37:20 PM »

^We should discuss ISIS in more detail on the private fora.

Tags: Syria persecution 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: