OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:47:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Georgian Old Believers?  (Read 312 times) Average Rating: 0
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« on: March 23, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »

I've been doing some reading about the Russian Old Rite recently, and while reading about the various priested hierarchies, I discovered that the Russian Old Orthodox Church (the Novobyzkov hierarchy) spawned a breakoff with the formidable name of the Slavo-Georgian Iberian Old Orthodox Church (bold for extra impressiveness). Apparently this small group uses the Georgian service books used prior to the 1800s, when invading Russians presumably brought the Nikonian reforms along with Russianising practices. Does anyone know anything about this Old Rite Georgian tradition? To what extent does it differ from the Russian one (since Georgia follows the Greek liturgical tradition rather than the Slavic)? Where can I find out more about this?

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
seaale

Faith: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:59:59 AM »

This would be very interesting to learn more about! Hopefully someone can provide some information.

Господи, Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя, грешного.
Ekdikos
Warned
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Serbia - Diocese of Banja Luka

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »

Well, I am affraid its not that misterious... in 1988 two bishops of Russian Old Orthodox Church, went in schism, because this Church was increasingy improving relations with Russian Orthodox Church. They found most of support among Old Believers in Georgia (who are ethnic Russians). Two leaders of schism repented and returned to ROOC, but they consecrated bishops in meantime, so schism survived. Slavic-Georgian Old Orthodox Church developed missionary activity among Georgians. Thats why they menzion pre XVIII century Georgian books as valid. Altough from 18th century and latter, Georgian practice is influenced by post-Nikonian Russian, pre 18th century Georgian was not identical to old recension of Byzantine rite, whic Old Believers dogmatized.
 www.hierarchy.religare.ru/h-orthod-staroob-iversk.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:45:25 AM by Ekdikos » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: