OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:16:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Oriental Vestments Thread  (Read 776 times) Average Rating: 0
CopticDeacon
ψάλτης (Psaltis) in the God-loving Diocese of NY and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Abba Pachom and Abba Antoni, Pray for us!

« on: March 23, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »

Greetings to all my orthodox fathers, brothers and sisters. I hope you are all benefiting from the the Great Fast. I was wondering, could a Coptic subdeacon wear a Syriac stole(epitrachelion?)? What about a Syriac subdeacon wearing a Coptic stole? Could any Copts also share what colors they've seen coptic deaconate/clergy wear that were out of the ordinary? Pictures would be awesome but beggars can't be choosers.

Pray for my weakness.

"I no longer fear God but love him, for perfect love casts out all fear."
-Pinishti Abba Antoni
-The Great Abba Anthony
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »

Greetings to all my orthodox fathers, brothers and sisters. I hope you are all benefiting from the the Great Fast. I was wondering, could a Coptic subdeacon wear a Syriac stole(epitrachelion?)? What about a Syriac subdeacon wearing a Coptic stole? Could any Copts also share what colors they've seen coptic deaconate/clergy wear that were out of the ordinary? Pictures would be awesome but beggars can't be choosers.

Pray for my weakness.

I am of the OPINION that you should blend in.  Whatever the chorus wears you wear.  Whatever your bishop allows, you wear.  And whatever your rank allows, wear.  Do not try to stand out or look extra "sheik" as I seem some readers/subdeacons might do.  And certainly no icons on your tunic.

With that said, these are all my opinions.  In theory, I suppose there might be nothing wrong depending on the views of your bishop and parish priests.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »

Minasoliman, I am a chanter. I wear altar socks and a white tunic with crosses and the regular coptic inscriptions on it. I'm rather traditional. So yes I agree with you. I'm just interested to know if there is something wrong with it. I was also wondering about the colors because one of my priests has a purple epitrachelion for Holy week and a red one he only wears in a rush for vespers when he asks me to get one(hehe). My bishop has a beautiful set of almost Greek style black vestments for holy week. From a distance I thought he was wearing a Byzantine Great Schema. The omophorion has a hood similar to one worn by St. Pope Kyrillos.

-Pinishti Abba Antoni
-The Great Abba Anthony
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »

I think Mina's right: it's at the discretion of your bishop, but it's best to wear "standard issue" vestments for your jurisdiction.  I knew an Ethiopian deacon once who took permission from his bishop to wear a Coptic style tonia and badrashil.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »

Minasoliman, I am a chanter. I wear altar socks and a white tunic with crosses and the regular coptic inscriptions on it. I'm rather traditional. So yes I agree with you. I'm just interested to know if there is something wrong with it. I was also wondering about the colors because one of my priests has a purple epitrachelion for Holy week and a red one he only wears in a rush for vespers when he asks me to get one(hehe). My bishop has a beautiful set of almost Greek style black vestments for holy week. From a distance I thought he was wearing a Byzantine Great Schema. The omophorion has a hood similar to one worn by St. Pope Kyrillos.

HG Bishop David wears something like this?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 04:04:07 PM »

I've never seen him wear it before, but he was at my church yesterday for a women's spiritual day and I caught  him before hymns class wearing new holy week vestments (just to take some pictures briefly) with that kind of hood. I was pleasantly surprised.

-Pinishti Abba Antoni
-The Great Abba Anthony
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »

I've never seen him wear it before, but he was at my church yesterday for a women's spiritual day and I caught  him before hymns class wearing new holy week vestments (just to take some pictures briefly) with that kind of hood. I was pleasantly surprised.
that would be pleasant indeed. Take pictures Wink

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 04:12:21 PM »

I was wondering, could a Coptic subdeacon wear a Syriac stole(epitrachelion?)? What about a Syriac subdeacon wearing a Coptic stole?

I've never seen any formal "legislation", so what follows is largely deduction, opinion, and experience.  

The Syriac deacon's stole is called uroro.  The priest's stole is called, in the liturgical books, uroro rabo ("great stole") or hamnikho ("around the neck").  This last term is the equivalent of the Greek term epitrachelion, and refers more to how it's worn than to the garment itself (which is essentially one and the same stole).  

In all the Oriental traditions, the deacon's stole is essentially the same garment, a long strip of cloth, worn in various ways according to the rank of the wearer.  So in theory, I don't see anything wrong with a Coptic subdeacon wearing a Syriac deacon's stole: the difference in the garment itself is more in terms of cut (Syriac stoles are more narrow) and ornamentation.  The same would go for a Syriac subdeacon wearing a Coptic deacon's stole.      

Ought this to be done?  I suppose it depends on what the circumstance is.  Generally, I would wear the vestments of my own tradition, even when serving in another tradition.        

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »

Mor, thanks for the info and answer.

Mina, I don't know for sure if he will be with us for any days of Holy Week.... But he will Celebrate the Easter Liturgy with us! I'll be sure to get some pictures though. they might be on his facebook page the following week.

-Pinishti Abba Antoni
-The Great Abba Anthony
Tags: vestments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: