OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Crosses  (Read 1908 times) Average Rating: 0
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« on: April 01, 2005, 10:12:37 AM »

Hi,

I'd appreciate any answers to the following two related questions. My previous cross (i.e. neck cross) has gone walkabout, mysteriously dropping from my chain somewhere and is nowhere to be found, so I want to replace it. First question is, can anyone recommend a good web site to buy one from? I particularly like 3 bar crosses such as St. Olga's, St. Vladimir's etc. which are very hard to find in Britain. I've seen a number of sites that sell such crosses, but I'd like to know if anybody can recommend any in particular, and why if possible.

Second question is, is it really necessary that it be gold? I'm not a great fan of gold, particularly the yellow variety (even my wedding band is rose gold) and would much prefer a silver one. My wife, however, seems to think that having a silver cross would somehow be a sign that I wasn't serious about my faith (clearly not true). Being an ex-Protestant convert I still have, it has to be said, a favouritism toward 'humbler' materials which might be colouring my judgement here, but I really don't see what the metal has to do with anything. I do, however, recall people at the Greek parish where I used to worship stating that the cross had to be gold when my son was baptised (which it was, but it came from his na+Æ’a).

I realise the second question is possibly a weird sounding thing to ask, but any help would genuinely be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 10:24:02 AM »

Personally, I like www.gallerybyzantium.com.  We tend to use them to order most of our crosses for our parish bookstore, as they have a good variety and most of their crosses are available in both silver and gold.  The cross I wear, the same design that Russian soldiers were given by the czar, is from them in fact, as well as being silver.  Since my priest didn't have a problem with it when my godmother gave it to him to bless, I'd imagine that silver's perfectly fine.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 10:30:02 AM »

I've never heard of any material being necessary for a cross....The priest who served Liturgy for the Feast last week had his priestly cross made from wood. Ican't recommend any sites in the UK, but I'll look around Smiley

Qui cantat, bis orat
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 10:37:49 AM »

Veniamin,

Thanks for the advice. That's one of the sites I'd found and it did look like a good one to buy from. I also like the soldier's cross they do and that's one of the designs I was considering. I'm also glad to hear that your experience is that silver is fine.

Choirfiend,

Thanks to you also. I've never actually seen a priest wearing a wooden cross, but if wood is suitable for a priest then I can't see how silver could be inappropriate for a layperson. I wasn't actually expecting that the sites be in the UK - I've searched in vain for such sites - anywhere is fine so long as they will ship items here.

Thanks again to both of you.

James
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 10:38:24 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 11:25:17 AM »

Beautiful Sterling Silver Orthodox Crosses -

http://www.easternchristian.com/sterling-silver-crosses.html

My preference is the Soldiers Cross -

http://www.easternchristian.com/product2586.html

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 11:28:24 AM »

I have always liked a silver Cross of St. Olga, myself.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 05:23:27 PM »

Light and Life Publishers and Conciliar Press both have a nice selction of crosses, both gold and silver.

I like gold because it doesn't tarnish in the summer when it gets hot and perspiry like silver does

I got a gold St. Olga's cross with the 3-bar cross in side it from the Light and Life site
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 05:23:52 PM by BrotherAiden » Logged
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 10:12:36 PM »

I actually received my sterling silver St. Olga's cross as a gift, and it was bought from the local Catholic bookstore in my area.  The catalogs that these bookstores order things from may be more vast than you think.

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Tags: bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: