OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 05:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope John Paul II has been given the last rites  (Read 2154 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: March 31, 2005, 05:41:11 PM »

Pope John Paul II has been given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church as his health deteriorates, a Vatican source tells CNN.

Vatican source: Pope given last rites
Ailing pontiff suffers from high fever with urinary tract infection

VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thursday night as his health deteriorated, a Vatican source has told CNN.

The pope is suffering from a high fever caused by a urinary tract infection, the Vatican confirmed Thursday -- one day after revealing he had been put on a nasal feeding tube for nutrition

The pope is taking antibiotics, a Vatican spokesman said.

Joaquin Navarro-Valls said in a statement released Wednesday: "To improve his calorific intake and promote an efficient recovery of his strength, nutrition via the positioning of a nasal-gastric tube has begun."

The pope underwent a tracheotomy February 24 and still has a tube inserted in his windpipe to help his breathing.

Earlier Wednesday, the pope appeared at his studio window and blessed the thousands of faithful in St. Peter's Square.

He appeared alert during the four-minute appearance, which drew cheers from the crowd gathered beneath his window.

He raised his hand in blessing and made the sign of the cross as a Vatican official read greetings and prayers.

A microphone was raised to his face as he tried to speak, but the words were not clear.

The pope has spent a total of 28 days in two stints at Gemelli hospital in Rome in the past two months.

Nicola Cerbino, a spokesman at the hospital, said Wednesday that there was no plan to hospitalize the pope.

On Monday the pope skipped the post-Easter Angelus prayer for the first time in his 26-year papacy.

The 84-year-old pope suffers from a number of chronic illnesses, including crippling hip and knee ailments, and Parkinson's disease, a progressive neurological disorder that can make breathing difficult.

Throughout his various illnesses and brushes with death, even after the assassination attempt against him in 1981, the pope always said his life was in God's hands.

CNN's Alessio Vinci contributed to this report.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 05:44:20 PM by TomS » Logged
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 06:40:22 PM »

Has there been any mention of who a possible successor would be?
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 06:49:51 PM »

Has there been any mention of who a possible successor would be?

There's been endless speculation about who will be the next pope for the past 10 years or so.  But apparently there's some Vatican rule forbidding explicit speculation about the next pope. 

According to news reports, an African cardinal (Arzine or something like that) is the most likely successor but apparently no one guesed that JPII would be elected back in 1979 so official speculation is probably meaningless. 

What's most interesting though is the speculation that the next pope will be from the 3rd world.  It's possible that first the first time almost 1500 years, the pope may not be a white European. 

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 11:48:08 PM »

What's most interesting though is the speculation that the next pope will be from the 3rd world. It's possible that first the first time almost 1500 years, the pope may not be a white European.

And this would be a good thing.
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 11:51:06 PM »

Why's that?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 12:03:02 AM »

I hear that the Italians want the papacy back...and I don't think it's out of their reach.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 12:03:50 AM »

Because the Catholic Church's future is with the Hispanics and Africans - not with white europeans.

I hear that the Italians want the papacy back...and I don't think it's out of their reach.

True. All Churches are all about power.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 12:05:36 AM by TomS » Logged
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 12:46:17 AM »

There seems to be some confusion out there: from what I understand the rite was in fact "anointing of the sick", whcih doesn't carry the connotation that the recipient is about to die.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 12:54:14 AM »

There seems to be some confusion out there: from what I understand the rite was in fact "anointing of the sick", whcih doesn't carry the connotation that the recipient is about to die.

True. He was also given this "sacrament" when he was shot in the hand. It appears to be a precaution; a "just in case", "worst case scenario", "why take chances" sort of thing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 12:55:14 AM by TomS » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 01:35:54 AM »

Just a note, I believe within the electable Cardinals the Italians only make up 17%.

Rather anybody then a American/Canadian born one, eh.

Cardinal Arinze is a very good choice.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 04:04:51 AM »

Keble,

I thought one of the main differences in the sacraments between us Orthodox and the RCs was that what is for us annointing of the sick is for them 'extreme unction' and only normally given to the dying? I don't doubt that they hedge their bets and give it when someone seems to be in danger of death even if they don't eventually die, but I really don't think it's quite the same as it is for us. It can be patently obvious that I'm not going to die from an illness and I can still go to a priest and get annointed for it. Maybe a Roman Catholic could explain the significance of this, but it sems to me from the reports I've read that they are indeed worried that the Pope may soon die.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 05:56:56 AM »

The condition of the Holy Father is indeed very grave now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4399189.stm

This is the updated Bulletin put out by the BBC at 9.17 GMT this morning

Frail Pope suffers heart failure

Pope John Paul II has suffered serious heart problems and is in a grave condition, the Vatican has announced.

The urgent communique came hours after the Pope's health worsened with a high fever caused by an infection.

"Following a urinary tract infection, septic shock and a cardio-circulatory collapse occurred," Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said.

On Thursday, he received the Holy Viaticum, the Catholics' last rites for the sick and dying, the spokesman said.

This is a sign that his closest advisers fear that the end of one of the longest papal reigns is fast approaching, says the BBC's David Willey in Rome.

And for the first time during the Pope's current illness the mood at the Vatican has suddenly shifted to one of pessimism, our correspondent says.

An update on the Pope's health is expected later on Friday morning.

At the Vatican, Cardinal Camillo Ruini, the Pope's deputy for Rome who is traditionally charged with breaking the news of a papal death, called on believers to "intensify their prayers".

Traffic restrictions are being imposed around the Vatican and the Italian authorities are making plans to deal with a huge influx of pilgrims anxious to be present as this historic pontificate draws to its close, says our Rome correspondent.

And cardinals who have the duty to elect a new pope are beginning to arrive in Rome from all over the world, our correspondent says.

Pope stays put

The pontiff was provided with "all the appropriate therapeutic provisions and cardio-respiratory assistance", Mr Navarro-Vals' statement early on Friday said.

"This morning the condition of the Holy Father is very serious," the statement said, but the 84-year-old pontiff remained "conscious, lucid and tranquil", the spokesman said.

He said the Pope had decided not to return to Rome's Gemelli hospital - but is being treated in his apartment by a team of four top consultants from the Catholic teaching hospital in Rome and his private doctor Renato Buzzonetti.

Groups of faithful have gathered at St Peter's Square in Rome to pray for the Pope's speedy recovery.

At the Vatican, the mood is sombre

On Thursday afternoon, the Pope's temperature soared to 40C (104F), Italian media reported.

He developed breathing troubles and has difficulty in swallowing as a result of the progress of Parkinson's Disease, an incurable condition from which he has been suffering for nearly a decade.

Prelates are openly expressing pessimism about the possibility of the Pope ever resuming the guidance of his one billion-strong church, our correspondent says.

The pontiff is being fed through a nasal tube to aid his recovery from throat surgery last month.

The Pope had appeared briefly at the window of his Vatican apartment on Easter Sunday to bless the faithful, but was not able to speak.

It was the first time during his 26-year pontificate that the Pope delegated the main Easter ceremonies to his cardinals.

He tried again to speak to the faithful a few days later - a sign of his extraordinary strong will, our correspondent says.

So far this year the Pope has had two spells in hospital where he received treatment for breathing problems and underwent an operation on his throat

the slave --in sorrow

--------------

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 09:06:02 AM »

Current Catholic Teaching allows for the Mystery of the Anointing of the Sick to be given to those who are ill but not in danger of death, the same as the Eastern practice.  Last Rites would include the Mystery of Reconciliation and Viaticum in addition to Anointing of the Sick.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 09:11:12 AM »

Fr. Deacon Lance,

Thanks for the information. It still seems, though, as if the condition of the Pope is grave as the reports I've read reported not just last rites but also specifically the Viaticum that you mentioned being given to him.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: