OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a child preach the Word?  (Read 562 times) Average Rating: 0
Rhinosaur
Homo Vivius
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (Orthodox Inquirer)

« on: March 17, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »

Do you think that it is appropriate for a child to preach in a formal setting?  I watched last night a documentary by National Geographic called Pint Sized Preachers, and it got me thinking:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/videos/pint-sized-preachers/

On one hand, I can't deny the fervent spirituality involved, but especially when it comes to the four-year old Kanon, I believe this kind of work should be carried out by someone who is fully mature and who understand life's struggles.  What do you think?
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »

I've seen Muslim child preachers too. I don't think it's good to have inexperienced and ignorant kids to preach... especially ones not ordained by a Bishop.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:16:29 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »

Do you think that it is appropriate for a child to preach in a formal setting? 

As long as the child is not a girl. 

Just kidding.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »

Do you think that it is appropriate for a child to preach in a formal setting?  I watched last night a documentary by National Geographic called Pint Sized Preachers, and it got me thinking:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/videos/pint-sized-preachers/

On one hand, I can't deny the fervent spirituality involved, but especially when it comes to the four-year old Kanon, I believe this kind of work should be carried out by someone who is fully mature and who understand life's struggles.  What do you think?

Search previous threads here for the name Marjoe Gortner.   

That said, who can constrain the Holy Spirit?   But always discern. 
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 06:35:33 PM »

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. -- Isaiah 11:6

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »

Can a donkey preach the Word?

Numbers 22

27 When the ass saw the angel of the Lord, she lay down under Balaam; and Balaam’s anger was kindled, and he struck the ass with his staff. 28 Then the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 And Balaam said to the ass, “Because you have made sport of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you.” 30 And the ass said to Balaam, “Am I not your ass, upon which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Was I ever accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No.” 31 Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, with his drawn sword in his hand; and he bowed his head, and fell on his face.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:22:42 PM »

Children should not be given tiaras or pulpits IMO.  angel

Large Marge sent me...
Rhinosaur
Homo Vivius
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (Orthodox Inquirer)

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »

Well I definitely agree with that.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »

St. Nina of Georgia was a girl who evangelized Georgia and is now an Equal to the Apostles.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »

Well I definitely agree with that.

+2

To answer the OP, of course children can proclaim the gospel. Children can be vehicles of the Holy Spirit. But I find this shameless manipulating of children in the name of "preaching the word" to be disgraceful. Anything that puts children up on a pedestal and burdens them with an unnatural pressure to perform is unhealthy and unchristian in my opinion. Don't rob children of their childhood.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:05 PM »

I've seen Muslim child preachers too. I don't think it's good to have inexperienced and ignorant kids to preach... especially ones not ordained by a Bishop.

Preaching? or Koran recitation from memory?

I have seen the latter...they have large contests for it, and countries send their winners forward to the worldwide competition....
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »

Preaching? or Koran recitation from memory?

I have seen the latter...they have large contests for it, and countries send their winners forward to the worldwide competition....

They can do that too, but no, Muslim preachers.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 12:07:08 AM »

Can a donkey preach the Word?
Sure. I suppose even a "dumb" ass can preach the Word. laugh

Numbers 22

27 When the ass saw the angel of the Lord, she lay down under Balaam; and Balaam’s anger was kindled, and he struck the ass with his staff. 28 Then the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 And Balaam said to the ass, “Because you have made sport of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you.” 30 And the ass said to Balaam, “Am I not your ass, upon which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Was I ever accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No.” 31 Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, with his drawn sword in his hand; and he bowed his head, and fell on his face.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: