OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 02:20:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Bible and the Holy Fathers" by Johanna Manley  (Read 562 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: March 16, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »

Is this a solid book?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:28 PM »

Define "solid". 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »

Is this a solid book?
You can read some of it.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »

Define "solid". 

I'm looking for opinions about its quality.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »

If you consider C.I. Scofield the dispensationalist to be a Holy Father, then sure. He's around plenty.

It's mainly just John Chrysostom's textual commentary on the readings mixed with St. Cyril and a few other regulars. It's mainly handy for having the daily readings pulled out, but I really don't use it much.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:59:56 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »

It depends what you want it for.  As Alveus said, it's useful because it presents the text of the readings of the (Byzantine) Lectionary in order.  If you don't mind the translation (I think it's KJV), you could read the texts from this book and use your Bible for other kinds of reading.  There isn't too much commentary per reading, though. 

If you're looking for something that's heavy on commentary, I'd look elsewhere.  But if you want to have the daily readings and a short (usually) patristic text or two in one convenient location, perhaps as an add-on to your morning or evening prayers, it's not a bad thing at all.     

If you consider C.I. Scofield the dispensationalist to be a Holy Father, then sure. He's around plenty.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the compiler felt like adding that kind of stuff, but to be fair, non-Orthodox sources are clearly indicated as such. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »

I use it.  I used to use it a lot.  While the writings of the Fathers are abbreviated, they often interested me enough to find the full text in my collection of books and keep reading.  As to the non-Orthodox authors, they often they explain things better to some of us former Protestants than an Orthodox Father could.  I don't have a problem with the book overall. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »

According to the google books viewing it looks like the font is bold faced and the images xeroxed. 
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:42:15 AM »

It depends what you want it for.  As Alveus said, it's useful because it presents the text of the readings of the (Byzantine) Lectionary in order.  If you don't mind the translation (I think it's KJV), you could read the texts from this book and use your Bible for other kinds of reading.  There isn't too much commentary per reading, though. 

If you're looking for something that's heavy on commentary, I'd look elsewhere.  But if you want to have the daily readings and a short (usually) patristic text or two in one convenient location, perhaps as an add-on to your morning or evening prayers, it's not a bad thing at all.     

Yeah, I'm not sure why the compiler felt like adding that kind of stuff, but to be fair, non-Orthodox sources are clearly indicated as such. 

And even broken clocks are right twice a day. Not every heretic is heretical in everything he writes.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: