OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:00:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket psalters which actually fit in the pocket  (Read 309 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: March 13, 2014, 02:53:49 AM »

I'm looking for a psalter that is very small, maybe around the size of the Antiochian red prayer book or a bit bigger. The HTM version is pretty large for a "pocket" psalter. Do they maybe make a paperback or something of that sort?

Elizabethan English is preferred.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:23:09 AM »

Would the SVS do?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »

I'm looking for a psalter that is very small, maybe around the size of the Antiochian red prayer book or a bit bigger. The HTM version is pretty large for a "pocket" psalter. Do they maybe make a paperback or something of that sort?

How small are your pockets?  Tongue 

The HTM version which Arachne linked to is quite convenient if you insist on something like Elizabethan English: it fits in just about every pocket I can imagine.  The one that I normally use, however, is this.  Modern English (I can't get used to the HTM translation, no matter how hard I try) and slightly bigger, but softcover. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

Welcome back, William. You have been missed!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 05:52:27 PM »

Does it have to be a Psalter? And what is the use... for example, how large does the text have to be? I bought a pocket NT a while back that is quite small and could fit in a 12 year old's skinny jeans... but the font is very small. But on the plus side you get a serving of Gospels with it. But maybe you just want/need the Psalms...

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »

The HTM/SVS is too big for me, it's what I've got now.

*, a NT and psalms could work. The size is the main thing.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »

*, a NT and psalms could work. The size is the main thing.

In that case, why not one of those Gideons NT/Psalms/Proverbs editions?  I have a KJV and a NKJV, and they are small and free (I got mine free, anyway).  I keep one on me just in case I want to read a bit during a free moment or if I have to pray with someone unexpectedly, so I don't use it to pray the Psalter regularly, but it could work for you.  

Also, there is an Orthodox NT/Psalms of similar size which was intended as a "military" edition, but you can buy it cheap.  It uses the RSV, I think, and has some basic prayers and other material in the back.  It is nice.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:05:13 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 06:42:26 PM »

I bought this Pocket NT w/Psalms and Proverbs about a month and a half ago, for $4.04 (with free shipping since I have Prime). They give the dimensions as: 4.5 x 3.1 x 0.7 inches. Mine (exactly) measures: 4 11/16" x 3 1/16" x 9/16". The type is very small; here's the text next to Times New Roman at 10 and 8 points for a comparison:

The text you see in the real life version is a smaller size than the words in the image above, but they are also clearer (my scanner blurred things a bit). I find the book acceptable for my purposes, but I think it would be difficult to read if you were walking/moving, or had dim lighting.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:44:06 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:28:16 AM »

You know I think I've been underestimating the size of my pockets. Either that or overestimating the amount of space that my Glock takes. I think the HTM actually fits.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 05:30:10 AM »

You know I think I've been underestimating the size of my pockets. Either that or overestimating the amount of space that my Glock takes. I think the HTM actually fits.

Good. You need to have spiritual weapons as well.

On a OC.net diet.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 06:13:15 AM »

The text you see in the real life version is a smaller size than the words in the image above, but they are also clearer (my scanner blurred things a bit). I find the book acceptable for my purposes, but I think it would be difficult to read if you were walking/moving, or had dim lighting.

I saw a nifty one like that the other day, with a zip-up cover, but even standing still I needed a magnifier to read it clearly. Shame. Sad

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »

Ah, the age-old Psalter/ Glock dilemma. They say this is why Chuck Norris invented cargo pants.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: