Author Topic: Byzantium  (Read 1204 times)

Offline troy

Byzantium
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:23:36 PM »
Can anyone suggest a good, comprehensive, and complete book on the history of Byzantium at a reasonable price? Thanks for your time!

Troy

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Byzantium
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:35:42 PM »
Well, the most comprehensive I've read is John Julius Norwich's 3-Volume set "Byzantium," which includes Volume 1, "The Early Centuries," Volume 2, "The Apogee," and Volume 3, "The Decline and Fall."  It never got boring, he was able to keep a sense of life to the story, and he attempted to combat the negative stereotypes placed upon the Roman Empire by Western historians.

Now, if you're not up for a 3-Volume epic yet, try the condensed version of the set called "A Short History of Byzantium," again by John Julius Norwich.  I haven't read the condensed volume, but if it's anything like the full set it will be great.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:58:21 AM »
Troy,

I have the Short History of Byzantium cleveland mentioned and it is definitely worth reading - I certainly wasn't up for the three volume version. For a start it was just too expensive.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
  • my finger points
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:39:45 PM »
I enjoyed A History of the Byzantine State and Society by Warren Treadgold, which Amazon.com has for $26.37 (you can get it shipped for free). It covers Byzantine/Roman history from the 3rd to the 15th century. I especially enjoyed it for three reasons: 1) it didn't go on ad nauseum about every single war and political intrique; 2) it spoke not just of the empire, but also of the "little people" (for lack of a better term) who lived in that empire; and 3) it seems to be written from a farily orthodox viewpoint; or, leastwise, the author is very sympathetic to orthodox belief (for another fairly orthodox--but not Orthodox--byzantine historian, I'd suggest Glanville Downey).

Offline troy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 08:16:16 PM »
Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try to get the three volume set off ebay.com or half.com. I'm a history junkie and all the "ad nauseum" gets me excited :)