OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 11:49:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantium  (Read 1075 times) Average Rating: 0
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: March 28, 2005, 09:23:36 PM »

Can anyone suggest a good, comprehensive, and complete book on the history of Byzantium at a reasonable price? Thanks for your time!

Troy
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:35:42 PM »

Well, the most comprehensive I've read is John Julius Norwich's 3-Volume set "Byzantium," which includes Volume 1, "The Early Centuries," Volume 2, "The Apogee," and Volume 3, "The Decline and Fall."  It never got boring, he was able to keep a sense of life to the story, and he attempted to combat the negative stereotypes placed upon the Roman Empire by Western historians.

Now, if you're not up for a 3-Volume epic yet, try the condensed version of the set called "A Short History of Byzantium," again by John Julius Norwich.  I haven't read the condensed volume, but if it's anything like the full set it will be great.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:58:21 AM »

Troy,

I have the Short History of Byzantium cleveland mentioned and it is definitely worth reading - I certainly wasn't up for the three volume version. For a start it was just too expensive.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:39:45 PM »

I enjoyed A History of the Byzantine State and Society by Warren Treadgold, which Amazon.com has for $26.37 (you can get it shipped for free). It covers Byzantine/Roman history from the 3rd to the 15th century. I especially enjoyed it for three reasons: 1) it didn't go on ad nauseum about every single war and political intrique; 2) it spoke not just of the empire, but also of the "little people" (for lack of a better term) who lived in that empire; and 3) it seems to be written from a farily orthodox viewpoint; or, leastwise, the author is very sympathetic to orthodox belief (for another fairly orthodox--but not Orthodox--byzantine historian, I'd suggest Glanville Downey).

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 08:16:16 PM »

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try to get the three volume set off ebay.com or half.com. I'm a history junkie and all the "ad nauseum" gets me excited Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: