OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 05:03:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Council and the WR  (Read 412 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: March 12, 2014, 02:02:25 PM »

During this supposed Great and Holy Council that is slotted to happen (which I think wont happen) one thing proposed is bringing more liturgical unity to the Church. How do you all think this will affect the WR, if at all?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:28:58 PM »

If the East and the West were to reunite soon after this Council, then most likely, the Orthodox Western Rite would be absorbed by Rome while the Eastern Catholics would be absorbed by the Eastern Patriarchs. Problem solved.  Roll Eyes

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »

If the East and the West were to reunite soon after this Council, then most likely, the Orthodox Western Rite would be absorbed by Rome while the Eastern Catholics would be absorbed by the Eastern Patriarchs. Problem solved.  Roll Eyes
If only...

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
WPM
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:07:37 PM »

The Western Rite of the Orthodox Church is not that critical to the main body of Eastern liturgical churches.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:08:21 PM by WPM » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »

^^ This!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »

That has no chance of happening at this council. The whole discussion about our relation to non-Orthodox probably has more to do with resolving how we receive their laity and clergy into our church, and getting a uniform, standardized practice in our churches for it. It doesn't have anything to do with reunification with them.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:56:03 PM »

That has no chance of happening at this council. The whole discussion about our relation to non-Orthodox probably has more to do with resolving how we receive their laity and clergy into our church, and getting a uniform, standardized practice in our churches for it. It doesn't have anything to do with reunification with them.

Reread. I stated AFTER THIS COUNCIL.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »

The Western Rite of the Orthodox Church is not that critical to the main body of Eastern liturgical churches.
I know its not that important in that way, but I was wondering because if the council wants to have more liturgical unity, then the WR will have to be addressed simply because it exists.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »

During this supposed Great and Holy Council that is slotted to happen (which I think wont happen) one thing proposed is bringing more liturgical unity to the Church. How do you all think this will affect the WR, if at all?

PP

Liturgical unity, or the lack thereof, is not among the ten topics to he addressed at the council.   

My view:   If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »

PP

Liturgical unity, or the lack thereof, is not among the ten topics to he addressed at the council.   

My view:   If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
I heard it was on the topic list. Hmmm, I must be mistaken.

PP

Gregory the Great

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »

I think each self-ruled Church should continue to do liturgy as it sees fit. Different churches face different challenges and need the freedom to respond accordingly. Liturgical diversity within dogmatic unity is the natural state of the Church and should remain so.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »

If the East and the West were to reunite soon after this Council, then most likely, the Orthodox Western Rite would be absorbed by Rome while the Eastern Catholics would be absorbed by the Eastern Patriarchs. Problem solved.  Roll Eyes
If only...

God forbid, present Romans meddling with the WRO. Wouldn't like to see RC-like liturgical havoc anywhere near Orthodoxy. It's not only doctrines that need to be addressed before communion.

As for the topic, I'd like to see a mass celebrated during the council. Not going to happen but it would nice wake up call for everyone that Western rite Orthodoxy is actually possible and that it actually already exists. And it's not going away.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:46:51 AM by Alpo » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »

Not going to happen but it would nice wake up call for everyone that Western rite Orthodoxy is actually possible and that it actually already exists. And it's not going away.

Or it would be a wake-up call for Western Rite that they are not as accepted as they think, when most of the bishops would walk out of the Mass.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »

Not going to happen but it would nice wake up call for everyone that Western rite Orthodoxy is actually possible and that it actually already exists. And it's not going away.

Or it would be a wake-up call for Western Rite that they are not as accepted as they think, when most of the bishops would walk out of the Mass.

Probably not a walk out, but the frowns and crossed arms and head shakes would speak volumes...
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:42:09 AM »

I rather doubt that. Maybe voice their criticism before and after the mass or even demand their hellenization but walking out of an Orthodox service accepted by several patriarchates doesn't seem likely.

Anyway, even if that happened IMO it would be a good thing. At least potential converts would know that Orthodoxy is not a church but an ethnic festival.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:44:06 AM by Alpo » Logged
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 07:58:26 PM »

[deleted]

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:59:11 PM by Sleeper » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 06:53:07 AM »

Anyway, even if that happened IMO it would be a good thing. At least potential converts would know that Orthodoxy is not a church but an ethnic festival.
^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This ^This  a thousand times ^This.

PP

Gregory the Great

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: