OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:49:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus Is My Brother  (Read 679 times) Average Rating: 0
ManOfWord
Muted

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: United States

« on: May 06, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »

He and I have the same Father.

Is Jesus your brother?
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:59:29 PM »

Hmmm, no. He isn't my brother. Not unless you have a real wack view of what the Trinity is.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »

Yes, Jesus is our brother. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »

Perhaps along the lines of Matt. 12:50, but not in the same way as God the Son, just like I might be a son of God without being the Son of God.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:18:37 PM »

Perhaps along the lines of Matt. 12:50, but not in the same way as God the Son, just like I might be a son of God without being the Son of God.
+1

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »

Jesus is my homie.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »

Most times that I have heard Jesus being called a brother was when I went to a happy clappy church and they talked about Jesus being their "bro" and how cool it would be to go out for drinks and party with Him.  

I didn't attend there very long.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:23:33 PM »

Most times that I have heard Jesus being called a brother was when I went to a happy clappy church and they talked about Jesus being their "bro" and how cool it would be to go out for drinks and party with Him.  

Because there wasn't any drinks or partying?  Or were the drinks just frappacinos?

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »

Because there wasn't any drinks or partying?  Or were the drinks just frappacinos?
Oh no.  There WAS drinks and parties. And arguments over which brand of beer Jesus would like.

Ah college. Fond memories. If only Jesus would have hung with us instead of on the cross.  He would have seen how chill we were as "seekers of Christ". "Christian" has too many negative vibes.  Free your mind, man, free your mind.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:28:09 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »

Because there wasn't any drinks or partying?  Or were the drinks just frappacinos?
Oh no.  There WAS drinks and parties. And arguments over which brand of beer Jesus would like.

Ah college. Fond memories. If only Jesus would have hung with us instead of on the cross.  He would have seen how chill we were as "seekers of Christ". "Christian" has too many negative vibes.  Free your mind, man, free your mind.

So, would he like the King of Beers or the Prince of Beers?  Or some craft brews from Portland?

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »

Ah college. Fond memories. If only Jesus would have hung with us instead of on the cross.  He would have seen how chill we were as "seekers of Christ". "Christian" has too many negative vibes.  Free your mind, man, free your mind.

So, would he like the King of Beers or the Prince of Beers?  Or some craft brews from Portland?

This is the obviously answer my friend

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1924/88269/

please do not report me for suggesting this
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:55:16 PM by DeniseDenise » Logged

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »

Ah college. Fond memories. If only Jesus would have hung with us instead of on the cross.  He would have seen how chill we were as "seekers of Christ". "Christian" has too many negative vibes.  Free your mind, man, free your mind.

So, would he like the King of Beers or the Prince of Beers?  Or some craft brews from Portland?

Noted and reported for blasphemy.  Wink

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 05:00:56 PM »

But Jesus never had chocolate or peanut butter.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »

But Jesus never had chocolate or peanut butter.

doesn't mean he might not have approved of them as flavours

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 05:02:50 PM »

doesn't mean he might not have approved of them as flavours

Ah, speculation....I think Jesus is down with Reese's peanut butter cups.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

He and I have the same Father.

Is Jesus your brother?

Yes.

Here's a good podcast that talks about it:

http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/namesofjesus/jesus_-_friend_and_brother

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 09:56:26 PM »

Jesus is LORD.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »

He's our brother in humanity... isn't he? Wouldn't denying that be Nestorian?

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »

But Jesus never had chocolate....
Mormons might disagree.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »

But Jesus never had chocolate....
Mormons might disagree.
I was hoping for that comment.  Cheesy  Oh, Mormons...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »

Jesus is just alright with me!  Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sEx_ibPriA

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 12:31:17 AM »

Yes and no.

I really dislike the "Jesus my friend/Jesus my equal" view that some Protestant have, mostly because I think it's irreverent and ignores the very important fact that Jesus is our master. Yet, at the same time, I think it emphasis a sense of personal closeness and intimacy with Christ that many people overlook, even if the means to getting this point across are faulty.

If we're supposed to see every one of our neighbors as being made in the image and likeness of God, "whatever you do to these ones you do to me," then technically Jesus is my brother--or my brother is Jesus, in a spiritual way.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ManOfWord
Muted

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 05:40:16 AM »

I was born into the family of God by birth.
My Father is God the Spirit. If you say that Jesus is your God,
then my brother is your God!

Jesus is my brother.
His God is my God.
My God is His God.
His Father is my Father.
My Father is His Father.
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 06:22:50 AM »

Yes, Jesus is our brother.

Coming from my own limited experience, I don't believe that the image of Christ as our "buddy and equal" is all that intimate. More open than others perhaps but not so intimate.

In some cultures, one's elder brothers are afforded a degree of respect, of awe, that we don't often see today. One doesn't quite look straight as much as one looks up. It is in this sort of way that I believe we should perceive Christ; as a friend perhaps but one never reduced so low as a joking "buddy."

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 07:17:59 AM »

*sigh* some days, this place is worse than 4chan.......

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 08:51:55 AM »

I was born into the family of God by birth.
My Father is God the Spirit. If you say that Jesus is your God,
then my brother is your God!

Jesus is my brother.
His God is my God.
My God is His God.
His Father is my Father.
My Father is His Father.

Here's some examples of the songs we sing in church:

You were transfigured on the mountain, O Christ God, / revealing Your glory to Your disciples as far as they could bear it. / Let Your everlasting Light also shine upon us sinners, / through the prayers of the Theotokos. / O Giver of Light, glory to You!

On the Mountain You were Transfigured, O Christ God, / And Your disciples beheld Your glory as far as they could see it; / So that when they would behold You crucified, / They would understand that Your suffering was voluntary, / And would proclaim to the world, / That You are truly the Radiance of the Father!

Thou hast redeemed us from the curse of the Law by Thy precious Blood. By being nailed to the Cross and pierced with the Spear, Thou hast poured immortality on mankind. O our Saviour, glory to Thee.

Come, let us all praise Him Who was crucified for us. For Him it was Whom Mary beheld on the Tree, and said: Even though Thou endurest the cross, Thou art my Son and my God.

Having the eyes of my soul blinded, I come to Thee, O Christ, like the man blind from birth, and with repentance I cry to Thee: Thou art the bright Light of those in darkness.
isaelie

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »

I wouldnt say brother.

You are safe in saying that he is our God
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:48:07 AM by isaelie » Logged
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: I agree with the Church
Jurisdiction: Huh

St. Leo III, Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »

I'll take "all of the above"  Grin

Distant cousin in the order of humanity; only-begotten son of the Father, true God of true God in the order of divinity; yet by grace we are also adopted as sons of the Most High and made partakers of the divine nature.

And I also need to add that God the Spirit is not God the Father, and is not begotten, but proceeds, therefore is not God the Son either. Yet there is only one God. Mysterious  angel

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »

Is ManOfWord Stephen Levi?

homedad76

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »

I don't think ManofWord is Stephen Levi, these are older and seem to have a less vibe to them.

"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »

Older doesn't mean much.  Plenty of folks have gotten away with multiple accounts.  Maybe his doctrine has developed and ManOfWord was no longer fit to contain his teachings.  Stephen Levi also refers himself in plural.  And they both preach in bold.

True or false.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:15:09 PM by hecma925 » Logged

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 11:59:11 PM »

*sigh* some days, this place is worse than 4chan.......

PP

LOL

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: