OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:36:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do Christian extremists demonised Hinduism practice and theology?  (Read 4966 times) Average Rating: 0
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »

btw: what have they contributed besids curry?

So being xenophobic and racist is OK as long as it's not directed against Greeks.  Got it.   

Mor...i do it to try to open your ayes to how you, most of you sound when yo bash greeks. its equally nasty whoever the people we bash. i jugest we stop with the nasyies.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »

and here are your non demonic hindu gods
sweet dreams Grin

I slept well, thanks. 

Orthodox worshiping dogs:

And devils:

Eagerly running into the mouth of their master, Satan:

A reddish, winged god on his reddish, winged horse:

The throne of God is empty, and the saints worship instead a reddish, winged god:

Under the guise of venerating the icon of the Mother of God, Orthodox promote the adoration of snakes:

The pantheon of divinities worshiped by "Orthodox" "Christians", along with the all-seeing Eye (Freemasonry?):

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »

Why did this topic devolve to this?

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »

So being xenophobic and racist is OK as long as it's not directed against Greeks.  Got it.   

Mor...i do it to try to open your ayes to how you, most of you sound when yo bash greeks. its equally nasty whoever the people we bash. i jugest we stop with the nasyies.

Nikolaos,

Forgive me, but if you don't think India contributed anything to the world other than curry, I don't believe you have the intellectual faculties necessary to discern whether or not "most of us" are bashing Greeks--or really anything else of reasonable importance. 

My reply #13 was based on a few of your posts in the recent past in response to perceived Greek-bashing.  You react to the smallest perceived slight against Greeks, but have no problem dismissing and insulting other people, their cultures, and their religious beliefs.  And most of the "slights" are not actually slights, but merely uncomplimentary things you don't like to hear even if other Greeks disagree with your interpretation.  You need to develop a thicker skin, or learn how to listen and understand what people are actually saying, or both.         

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

Basically, everything Mor said (can I be in your siggy now?)

Are you sure you want that?  Your jurisdiction is "Much Greek", and supposedly I hate Greeks.  Tongue 

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »

isnt that what they acuused Christ using demons to fight exsorsise demons?

Interesting that you mention this. And what did Christ say when accused of using demons to exorcise demons?

But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “This man drives out demons only by the power of Beelzebul, the prince of demons.” But he knew what they were thinking and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste, and no town or house divided against itself will stand. And if Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself; how, then, will his kingdom stand?"

-- Matthew 12:24-26
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:48:42 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »

but i find it funny how Mor goes out of his way to lets say be contrary to me by bashing othodoxy?

No, I am not bashing Orthodoxy.  You look at images of Hindu gods and think they look evil.  You look at Orthodox icons and think they are reflections of truth.  But both types of imagery use symbols which, if understood too literally, will lead to misunderstandings: only by knowing how to "read" the image will you understand what it is trying to convey.  You already know how to do that, I presume, with regard to your own faith, which is why you think it's silly that anyone would think you worship a winged bull or a man with a dog's head.  But if you don't know what Hindu iconography symbolises, the conclusion should not be to boast "ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!" because of how you're interpreting what you see without a solid foundation on which to stand.  As others have suggested, learn a little about what they believe as they believe it, and not as you want to think they believe it.  

If St Paul had your dismissive and condemnatory attitude, you would still be worshiping all those sex-crazed Olympian divinities your ancestors gave to the world.  Instead, he tried to understand what they were reaching for and filled the void with the truth of Christ and with Christ's love manifested in his own life, and converted your nation.  Let it not be so that you can boast about your good fortune and lord it over others.    

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 01:45:28 PM »

Seems like the thread is way better now than in the OP.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »

Are you sure you want that?  Your jurisdiction is "Much Greek", and supposedly I hate Greeks.  Tongue  

Much Greek for now. Very Antiochian when I move. Such wait.

Also:

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"

Helllllooooo new siggy
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:00:53 PM by Eastern Mind » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »

Are you sure you want that?  Your jurisdiction is "Much Greek", and supposedly I hate Greeks.  Tongue 

Don't delay, run from everything Greek like Lot ran from Sodom, and don't look back like his wife.   

Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »

Don't delay, run from everything Greek like Lot ran from Sodom, and don't look back like his wife.   

But...

Baklava... Sad

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »

Are you sure you want that?  Your jurisdiction is "Much Greek", and supposedly I hate Greeks.  Tongue  

But...

Baklava... Sad
Hot BlakLava.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:13:14 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

But...

Baklava... Sad

BAM!!

You looked back.  Too bad.  Thank you for playing!

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »

But...

Baklava... Sad

Fear not, baklava is not exclusively Greek. It's part of Middle Eastern cuisines.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »

Sometimes things end how they begin.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 07:01:12 PM »

and here are your non demonic hindu gods
sweet dreams Grin

I slept well, thanks. 

Orthodox worshiping dogs:

And devils:

Eagerly running into the mouth of their master, Satan:

A reddish, winged god on his reddish, winged horse:

The throne of God is empty, and the saints worship instead a reddish, winged god:

Under the guise of venerating the icon of the Mother of God, Orthodox promote the adoration of snakes:

The pantheon of divinities worshiped by "Orthodox" "Christians", along with the all-seeing Eye (Freemasonry?):

its just gross what you claim above. your orthodox?!
you take things out of contects with these pics.
i have never seen them before except for the snakes.

you mr. mor must have spent a lot of time on the internet looking for these things, and your still reaching and or flat out false/wrong.
get a life othere then waiting to try and belittle me in front of your little ocnet crew.
i should not consume your time so much, im not so important.

yo have issues. do yo realy think i have a thin skin and what you say botheres me?Huh dream on, you are just showing how petty you are.

also i suggest you take the time to read the posts before you respond. dont let your anger carry you away.

i explained to you that what i said abt hindus was to ilistrate the point. that greek or hindu or watever bashing is equally dispicable!

like i said before we should stop this bickering, its not the season for it. but you keep on going on trying feebally to prove some kind of point.

dont be so mad that i called you and you ocnet friends out when you guys went on a greek bashing spree. im not the only greek on here who sees this happening. its actually quite discusting to have you closeminded ppl on a religous forum. some of you are even priests, yuck.

I thought a moderator should have a level head and not go off on vendetas against otheres.autually i thought a mod is to stop just these things. you do the reverse. oh, i just noticed your from NY...
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »

Nikolaos,

Forgive me, but if you don't think India contributed anything to the world other than curry, I don't believe you have the intellectual faculties necessary to discern whether or not "most of us" are bashing Greeks--or really anything else of reasonable importance. 

My reply #13 was based on a few of your posts in the recent past in response to perceived Greek-bashing.  You react to the smallest perceived slight against Greeks, but have no problem dismissing and insulting other people, their cultures, and their religious beliefs.  And most of the "slights" are not actually slights, but merely uncomplimentary things you don't like to hear even if other Greeks disagree with your interpretation.  You need to develop a thicker skin, or learn how to listen and understand what people are actually saying, or both.         

yea yea yea, your just mad cause greeks invented E V E R Y T H I N G Shocked
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »

but i find it funny how Mor goes out of his way to lets say be contrary to me by bashing othodoxy?

No, I am not bashing Orthodoxy.  You look at images of Hindu gods and think they look evil.  You look at Orthodox icons and think they are reflections of truth.  But both types of imagery use symbols which, if understood too literally, will lead to misunderstandings: only by knowing how to "read" the image will you understand what it is trying to convey.  You already know how to do that, I presume, with regard to your own faith, which is why you think it's silly that anyone would think you worship a winged bull or a man with a dog's head.  But if you don't know what Hindu iconography symbolises, the conclusion should not be to boast "ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!" because of how you're interpreting what you see without a solid foundation on which to stand.  As others have suggested, learn a little about what they believe as they believe it, and not as you want to think they believe it.  

If St Paul had your dismissive and condemnatory attitude, you would still be worshiping all those sex-crazed Olympian divinities your ancestors gave to the world.  Instead, he tried to understand what they were reaching for and filled the void with the truth of Christ and with Christ's love manifested in his own life, and converted your nation.  Let it not be so that you can boast about your good fortune and lord it over others.    

Oh Lord, first of all i was buddhist for 20 somthng years. so i think i kindof do know what im taking abt, first hand, not through repeating googlease----can yo say that?

comon dude, realy, you still think what you say matters to me about the greeks and there "sex crased olympian" nonsense yo spew?!?! im not on your childish level, realy.

im afraid to ask, how old are you?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:13:09 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »

No way. Egypt, ftw. Tongue
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:10:56 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »

Oh Lord, first of all i was buddhist for 20 somthng years. so i think i kind do know what im taking abt, first hand, not through repeating googlease----can yo say that?

So you being a Buddhist makes you an expert on Hinduism?

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »

Oh Lord, first of all i was buddhist for 20 somthng years. so i think i kind do know what im taking abt, first hand, not through repeating googlease----can yo say that?

anotherone, where did i say that?HuhHuhHuh?

and for what its worth, being a budhist and googling budhisim~~~~~well there is kindof a slight diffrence, wont you say?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:15:29 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »

and for what its worth, being a budhist and googling budhisim~~~~~well there is kindof a slight diffrence, wont you say?

I just highlighted where you said that for you.....

and again....Buddhism does not equal Hinduism......so your experience in the former, buys you precisely -zero- knowledge of the latter.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:17:57 PM by DeniseDenise » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:50 PM »

My mom says baklava is really Armenian.

Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »

Mmm baklava.

You know what else is yummy?

Pocky.

DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »

I can go with that.....everything good is....

darn it...now you just had to make me go and think about Zankou Chicken and how i miss it.... Embarrassed
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »

I just highlighted where you said that for you.....

and again....Buddhism does not equal Hinduism......so your experience in the former, buys you precisely -zero- knowledge of the latter.

Honey, you said i said that i said "im an expert on hunduisim. " and i said i did not say that. what i said in balck and white is "Oh Lord, first of all i was buddhist for 20 somthng years. so i think i kind do know what im taking abt, first hand, not through repeating googlease----can yo say that"
please be more percise if your gona join in on the festivities.

also fyi: budhisim cane from hinduisim. thought you should know that. before you respond. and i rest on what i said being a budhist carys WAY more weigh then googling abt it. jess
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »

turkish, isent it also known as turkish delight?

but im sure if you seriously reaserch it youl find that it too was inve4nted by, guess who........the greeks Grin
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:35:38 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »

but im sure if you seriously reaserch it youl find that it too was inve4nted by, guess who........the greeks Grin

No....but since you invented it...surely you should know it is not the same thing.......

Maybe you should google that....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:37:36 PM by DeniseDenise » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2014, 07:40:14 PM »

also fyi: budhisim cane from hinduisim.
...uh...No.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:45:05 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »

ok you got me.

No....but since you invented it...surely you should know it is not the same thing.......

Maybe you should google that....

ok you got me. you win a free baklava
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:44:24 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2014, 07:42:11 PM »

...uh...No.

why no? the buddha was hindu.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:43:02 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »

...uh...No.

By the time Siddhartha realized Buddhahood, he was not a 'Hindu'. To be Hindu, one must accept the divine authority of the Vedas. Siddhartha certainly rejected that authority by the time he realized Buddhahood, if not years before. Siddhartha had become a "Sramana", a member of a group of Indian meditators and yogis who rejected Vedic authority (or who never recognized such authority in the first place). Jainism would be another religion that, like Buddhism, comes from this Sramana movement. Many scholars argue that the Sramanas were present in India before the entrance of the Vedic Sanskrit-speakers.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:49:25 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »

You can't be serious. Or are you?  Huh Shocked
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

Of course he's not. Everyone knows it was the Egyptians who invented E V E R Y T H I N G.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »

...uh...No.

By the time Siddhartha realized Buddhahood, he was not a 'Hindu'. To be Hindu, one must accept the divine authority of the Vedas. Siddhartha certainly rejected that authority by the time he realized Buddhahood, if not years before. Siddhartha had become a "Sramana", a member of a group of Indian meditators and yogis who rejected Vedic authority (or who never recognized such authority in the first place). Jainism would be another religion that, like Buddhism, comes from this Sramana movement. Many scholars argue that the Sramanas were present in India before the entrance of the Vedic Sanskrit-speakers.

yea ok, your right. i was just i guess saying the buddha was hindu, in india and that budhisim then traveled to various areas from there. i forget you guys are so pricise with everything. Grin but yes you are right and i am wrong. hinduisim and budhisim are not the same. im just glad im outa there.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »

come on its a joke. from my big fat greek wedding.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »

It might be time for someone to resurrect this old thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,33106.0.html

Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »

I know next to nothing about Jainism, except that they are very strict frutarians.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »

That's all, ladies and gentlemen.  I made my point.  For your convenience, I've omitted the remaining stupidity.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:31:06 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »

I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way. 

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2014, 08:34:03 PM »

That's all, ladies and gentlemen.  I made my point.  For your convenience, I've omitted the remaining stupidity.  

all this time you took and came up with this? i thought you were googling the heck out of ur comp trying to come up with a worthy rebbutle and this is what yo come with!?!?

sad Roll Eyes
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »

I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way. 

the greeks invented armenia~
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »

all this time you took and came up with this? i thought you were googling the heck out of ur comp trying to come up with a worthy rebbutle and this is what yo come with!?!?

sad Roll Eyes

Well Honey, (why yes I mean this in the most sarcastic voice possible)

I suspect he was out living his life...not sitting behind a computer.....like some folks.  He probably had ten better things to do then tell you that you are wrong all day.

Have a nice day now....Wink
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »

Oh no, you did not just say that!

Everybody, stand back and get ready for a round of "Cleaning Day in Bethlehem."

Now where are those broomsticks...

DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2014, 08:46:31 PM »

Oh no, you did not just say that!

Everybody, stand back and get ready for a round of "Cleaning Day in Bethlehem."

Now where are those broomsticks...

*breaks out the lenten popcorn*

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: