OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 23, 2014, 12:29:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do Christian extremists demonised Hinduism practice and theology?  (Read 4970 times) Average Rating: 0
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« on: March 08, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »

So?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »

Define 'demonize'.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:15:20 PM »

I find certain uses of cow manure that I've read bout somewhat odd, but I've never thought of it as being demonic. Then again I generally don't assume demonic influence when people think or act differently than I do.  police

Large Marge sent me...
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:37 PM »

Quote from: Westboro Baptist Church (partially censored)
80% of Indias population claim to practice Hinduism. Nuff said. A country full of idolatry naturally results in a nation full of homosexuals, thats what happens when you depart from the Living God! ...

Exodus 22:20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Psalms 73:27 For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee.

Here is a beautiful and altogether lovely verse that couldnt be more applicable to you idolaters: But where are thy gods that thou hast made thee? let them arise, if they can save thee in the time of thy trouble: for according to the number of thy cities are thy gods, O Judah (India). (Jeremiah 2:28)

From the 'God Hates the World' website.

I advise against Googleing it.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:57 PM »

Not sure what's extremist about the position that Hinduism is pagan and idolatrous. Its theology is not coming from divine revelation. Hinduism is not true.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »

Not sure what's extremist about the position that Hinduism is pagan and idolatrous. Its theology is not coming from divine revelation. Hinduism is not true.
+1

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 05:23:48 PM »

Why do Hindu extremists attack Christians in India?  There are all kinds of fringe extremists, there is no exclusive claim to your premise.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »

Why do you think so? How do you explain the encounters with the supernatural within the Hindu religion and the Hindu practices(such as yoga,meditation,reiki,mantras etc) and the detailed noetic understanding of hinduism (chakras,energies,auras,etc)? In what other religion you see the human body, energetic fields,etc explained so in detailed and given practical points of channeling that often materialised in supernatural experiences(as many testified, even in groups, followers of different gurus even from the West, such as Rajneesh[Osho], yoga practitioners and teachers,etc) ?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »

I'm an equal opportunity offender: to me most ascetic techniques and practices look awfully a lot like navel gazing, Christian included.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »

I don't have anything against Hindu people. I just don't share their faith.

I also want to thank O4C for not putting up a link to that very silly website. Yipes, I've got to pray for those people.  Smiley
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »

Caste systems that seem to basically keep most of humanity bound to karma.These higher principles are hardly extended to most who worship millions of deities. It is just western wealth that revealed the reserved exalted concepts to many.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »

all hindu various gods are demons!
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 06:50:17 PM »

I don't know. Why do so many Hindu extremists claim that Christians worship a zombie on a stick (I feel dirty typing that) and call Christians, Jews and Muslims "Mlecchas"?

See, it happens everywhere. There are extremists in every faith.

I dabbled in Hinduism for a while (Kashmir Shaivism > everything else) and saw the dark side of the faith, and got real mad and thought I could never, ever join that faith, or any other faith, because extremists ruin it. But then I realized that extremists will always be around, no matter what, and not to worry too much about it.

Yes, some Christians (and in general, some people) will go "lol cow worshiper" just like some Atheists will go "lol you worship a sky daddy". But that doesn't mean all Atheists, Christians, etc. are like that. In short, what Biro and Recent Convert said.

Sports extremists are the worst, though.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:50:31 PM by Eastern Mind » Logged

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:52:44 PM »

Oh great, yet ANOTHER thread where NON-INDIANS talk about INDIAN stuff as if they know what they're talking about.  Why does OCNet participate in such race bashing?  How dare the posters here single out Indians for such vitriol and trivialise a culture that has contributed so much (to) humanity!!  This thread is offencive to anyone of Indian descent.  Is anyone listening?!  

I need to stop before OMG!!

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 06:54:34 PM »

^you were a nort-eastern slav in a previous life
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »

Oh great, yet ANOTHER thread where NON-INDIANS talk about INDIAN stuff as if they know what they're talking about.  Why does OCNet participate in such race bashing?  How dare the posters here single out Indians for such vitriol and trivialise a culture that has contributed so much (to) humanity!!  This thread is offencive to anyone of Indian descent.  Is anyone listening?!  

If I said anything to offend you, I'm sorry :/ I don't have anything against Hinduism, it just isn't for me. Please forgive me and pray for me.

Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 07:08:17 PM »

^you were a nort-eastern slav in a previous life

Why do you say that?  Not that I'm denying my "inner Slav", I confess it openly, but still.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »

Next up is the thread about how affluent white Americans do odd stuff and are possibly demon possessed. But we can only argue over one group at a time.

Large Marge sent me...
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 10:05:38 PM »

Next up is the thread about how affluent white Americans do odd stuff and are possibly demon possessed. But we can only argue over one group at a time.
Aren't we?  Shocked

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »

well its there turn, Greek bashing is getting a little old on this site.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 10:31:24 PM »

I don't know. Why do so many Hindu extremists claim that Christians worship a zombie on a stick (I feel dirty typing that) and call Christians, Jews and Muslims "Mlecchas"?

I dabbled in Hinduism for a while (Kashmir Shaivism > everything else) and saw the dark side of the faith, and got real mad and thought I could never, ever join that faith, or any other faith, because extremists ruin it. But then I realized that extremists will always be around, no matter what, and not to worry too much about it.

Yes, some Christians (and in general, some people) will go "lol cow worshiper" just like some Atheists will go "lol you worship a sky daddy". But that doesn't mean all Atheists, Christians, etc. are like that. In short, what Biro and Recent Convert said.

zombie on a stick, never heard that before. must be an internet thing. btw you should feal dirty for typing that...i do.

but how do you get zombie on a stick for christ on a cross,.....sounds like they are reaching.

BUT demons and hinduisim (and budhisim) now thats spot on. have you evere looked at the hindi gods!!!! scarry as heck!!!

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »

So?

Because Hindu spiritual practice is inherently demonic.

Some books to read on the subject include:

The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gurus-Young-Elder-Paisios/dp/1887904166

From Tibet to Mt. Athos to Elder Paisios (regarding Tibetan Buddhism, which has the same demonic origins)

http://www.notofthisworldicons.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001731-1351115875

Also, listen to Kenneth Klaus regarding his experience with Yoga and his conviction that it is demonic:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kenneth%20klaus%20yoga&sm=3

More from Elder Paisios:
Regarding the ascesis of Hinduists (3)

-Elder, do Hinduists achieve a certain self-control because they are helped by the severe ascesis that they perform through yoga?

-They strive and they strive, and what do they achieve with it? Orthodox self-restraint and spiritual ascesis in general always aspire to a loftier spiritual purpose: the sanctification of the soul.  Their satanic, worldly ascesis is only implemented to give them a flexible body so that they can contort arms and legs like a paper puppet, and so that other foolish people might admire them and the silly demons can ridicule them.  From early childhood they learn to twist their legs and place the one leg over one shoulder and the other leg over the other shoulder, and that’s how they “pray”.  They practice by punching their fist for many hours against a sack of gravel, and then they are enabled to break stones, wood etc.

But, even all the things they say that they feel have an explanation.  For instance, they drag their tongue until it touches their nose or they suck it in until it touches their throat, and this causes an aggravation, the feel a certain sweetness – a tickling – and they say “This is nectar’… Then they press down on certain nerves near their ears and they hear a “hummmmm” sound like music.  Or they press their eyes and this makes them see little stars!  They sit staring at the sun with eyes wide open and when they close them, they can see light!  “There! We did it! We saw uncreated light!”  So the devil says: “Oh, so you want lights? Let me give you lights!” and he then cultivates their imagination so that afterwards, without pressing their eyes or holding them open to the sun, they will be able to see lights.  The devil often tries to seduce us without being provoked, by presenting lights etc., but we turn our backs to him, so just imagine what would happened if we provoked him!  All he needs is an excuse to act!

-In other words Elder, the devil presents them with various images?

-Yes. He cultivates their imagination to a large degree and then he leads them to delusion.  Some of our own people go the Indians, the Indians teach them to utter some vile remarks in their language about Christ, about the Holy Mother, about the saints – unbeknownst to them – and they become demon-possessed.  Then they begin to utter all sorts of ineffable words. They reach a wild state and others who observe them think that they are in a spiritual state! But it is a demonic state…

Hinduism has caused severe damage

The Indians, while an intelligent people, while having metaphysical concerns and lots of heart, preoccupy themselves with supposed philosophy, with delusions and with sorceries.  They wreak havoc among Europeans with their theories.  And you can see how their leaders are as fit as bulls, while the others in India are dying of hunger!  They come to Greece also, and they fool people with nirvana, with laziness, with reincarnations… meantime in their books they even use quotes from the Holy Bible, from the Philokalia, from the Fathers, and thus attract people.  In olden times, the Orthodox would in no way believe in Hinduist theories!  Now - how can one say it – there are even some very correct people who support such nonsense and who give a whole lot of money.  Hinduism has caused severe damage…

-Elder, are there any Indians who are Orthodox Christians?

-Very few.  There were a few who remained from the Church that the Apostle Thomas had established, but they were abandoned.  Others became (Roman) Catholics, others Protestants.  Today, the Orthodox there are very few.

The things that other religions or para-religions present as miracles have nothing in common with the miracles of our Faith.  Christ wants us to be honorable; He doesn’t want us to love Him because He is omnipotent.  If He wanted, He could work a miracle and make the whole world believe instantly.  But that way, He would be confining man’s freedom. That is why He said “Blessed are they who have not seen and yet have believed”. (4)

Orthodoxy has the miracle and divine grace. Hinduism has magic and philosophy. It replaces the miracle with magic, and divine Grace with philosophy.  The devil gives powers to the gurus, the sorcerers etc., because they have given the devil the right. That’s why they can perform supposed miracles, and the others who see them admire them. From the moment someone realizes that the one performing such fake miracles is in no way related to Christ, he must understand that whatever he does is a deception of the devil, who is never able to say the truth but instead lies and deceives God’s creatures.  Those who have a positive predisposition – after having become a little bit familiar with Orthodoxy – are somewhat hesitant, because they can see that the life of such sorcerers isn’t a clean one; it is a mixed-up one, whereas in Orthodoxy they will find a clean life and a superiority. They find people who possess sanctity and who perform true miracles.

In Orthodoxy, kindness is the overflowing of man’s love, for God and for one’s neighbour. All the kindnesses that are displayed by persons of other religions or by deluded persons etc., do not contain any in-Christ elements, although they may have certain positive human elements.  Whoever lives the Orthodox life correctly has humility, love, and he gives himself wholly to the other – he sacrifices himself. And the ascesis, the fasting and the night-vigils that he pursues are again out of love for the Lord, and not so that he might get some kind of pleasure out of it.

Christ came into the world to be crucified out of love for His creature. First He was crucified, and then he was resurrected.  It is a cheap thing, for one to merely ask for spiritual favours; it is another thing, if Christ Himself gives one a taste of the celestial sweetness. Thus, while they –for instance- are preoccupied with Hinduistic philosophies, with yoga etc. – with the things that they do, they aspire to attaining a supposed spiritual state, an ecstatic state, either to feel a form of pleasure or to become superior to others – but whatever the reason, without showing any actual concern for others.

Let’s assume that a Hinduist is sitting on a shore meditating. If during that time someone at sea is in danger and is crying out for help, he will remain steadfastly indifferent; he will not budge from his place, so that he won’t deprive himself of that pleasure that he is feeling.  If it was an Orthodox monk there at the time saying the Prayer, he would have dropped his prayer-rope and dived into the water to save him.

The above quote comes from a more lengthy text on the powers of darkness worth reading here:  http://www.oodegr.com/english/anatolikes/Paisios_powers_darkness.htm
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »

You make it too easy, my friend. 

Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 11:04:21 PM »

BUT demons and hinduisim (and budhisim) now thats spot on. have you evere looked at the hindi gods!!!! scarry as heck!!!

If you know how to read the symbols, this is a fairly innocuous image.  If you don't, it confirms every accusation of idolatry and polytheism fundamentalist evangelicals would throw at us. 

Don't be ignorant. 

BTW, "Hindu gods", not "hindi gods".  Hindi is a language.   

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »

If you know how to read the symbols, this is a fairly innocuous image.  If you don't, it confirms every accusation of idolatry and polytheism fundamentalist evangelicals would throw at us. 

Don't be ignorant. 

Paging LBK...  Interested in her views on the icon above.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 11:20:47 PM »

Don't be ignorant. 

I think those animals represent the Evangelists. The RSV:CE has them on the cover too.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »

Don't be ignorant. 

I think those animals represent the Evangelists. The RSV:CE has them on the cover too.

Yes, my question is more about the depiction of Holy Spirit in the form of a dove outside of the depiction of the Baptism of the Lord. 
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »

I don't know, it looks like the worship of winged animals and humans to me.  You ever see a winged lion?  Scary as heck!!!!!!

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »

Don't be ignorant. 

PM me if you want an answer, I don't want to derail the thread. Suffice to say that Mor is right to make the points he does in his post.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »

I don't know, it looks like the worship of winged animals and humans to me.  You ever see a winged lion?  Scary as heck!!!!!!

Not. That's awesome. Hunting from the sky like a boss.

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 02:45:04 AM »

You make it too easy, my friend. 

yea thanks so nice of you....my friend

btw: what have they contributed besids curry?
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 02:47:58 AM »

If you know how to read the symbols, this is a fairly innocuous image.  If you don't, it confirms every accusation of idolatry and polytheism fundamentalist evangelicals would throw at us.  

Don't be ignorant.  

BTW, "Hindu gods", not "hindi gods".  Hindi is a language.  

are you implying the you (we) worship demons???

your seriously reaching i an effort to be rude. shame on you. i did not say anything nasty to you. oh yea thats right i forgot--your one of the ones that hates greeks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:52:58 AM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 02:50:10 AM »

wow, thats sad
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 03:21:20 AM »

and here are your non demonic hindu gods

sweet dreams Grin
Incognito777
Muted
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 05:47:51 AM »

We're not be extremist, we are being BIBLICAL and CHRISTIAN. It is Christian Scripture that places Hinduism in the category of demons, because of their paganism and idolatry.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 05:59:38 AM »

Dude!

Large Marge sent me...
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 09:44:27 AM »

zombie on a stick, never heard that before. must be an internet thing. btw you should feal dirty for typing that...i do.

but how do you get zombie on a stick for christ on a cross,.....sounds like they are reaching.

Yes, fundie Hindus do exist, and many of them hate Abrahamic faiths. There are good ones, but that's characteristic of every faith, so.

I have and I worshiped them too, once. I don't think they are demons, though. I think they are false gods, but not demons. Kali's physical form is supposed to scare people away, so that those who want to learn about her will find a guru. She's symbolic. She's represents a deeper reality.

When you really read up on Hinduism, you'll understand a bit better. They're philisophical schools are really something else. Look up Vedanta sometime.

Basically, everything Mor said (can I be in your siggy now?)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:48:00 AM by Eastern Mind » Logged

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 09:52:23 AM »

Yes, fundie Hindus do exist, and many of them hate Abrahamic faiths. There are good ones, but that's characteristic of every faith, so.

I have and I worshiped them too, once. I don't think they are demons, though. I think they are false gods, but not demons. Kali's physical form is supposed to scare people away....
Kali is also viewed as the fierce form of the Divine Mother (Durga). As Kali, the Divine Mother destroys the fiercest of demons.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:54:00 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 09:55:53 AM »

I have and I worshiped them too, once. I don't think they are demons, though. I think they are false gods, but not demons. Kali's physical form is supposed to scare people away....
Kali is also viewed as the fierce form of the Divine Mother (Durga). As Kali, the Divine Mother destroys the fiercest of demons.

And Durga in turn is also a form of Parvati, I believe, the wife of Shiva. In fact, many teachings state that all the goddesses are manifestations of Durga/Parvati.

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »

I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but Hinduism is a religion focused on idolatry and therefore worship demonic figures.  Does that mean they're horrible people who are Satanists?  No.  But we gotta be clear about things.  Anyone who worships anything but the true God worships something other.  And there is nothing good but Good Incarnate.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »

I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but Hinduism is a religion focused on idolatry and therefore worship demonic figures.  Does that mean they're horrible people who are Satanists?  No.  But we gotta be clear about things.  Anyone who worships anything but the true God worships something other.  And there is nothing good but Good Incarnate.

Sure we gotta be clear about things...

But WHY do we have to discuss them here?  Its not like anyone in particular was thinking of becoming a Hindu and wanted thoughts....

Honestly folks, a lot of time is spent on worrying what Religions A, B and C are doing to piss us off today....which means we are not really concentrating all that much on what Christ wants us to be doing....because every my sorry little Protestant catechumen @#$ can tell you and know that it ain't -this-....

Log off the internet and go attend some Liturgies folks...

*off to do the same*
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:10:01 AM by DeniseDenise » Logged
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »

I'm just saying. Learn a little bit about Hinduism first. Indiana Jones isn't a reliable source. Not that I want you to believe it's true...but if you are going to be against something, understand what the person or faith teaches first.

Example: I don't agree with Advaita Vedanta, a school of Hinduism, because I don't believe in an entity called Brahman/Atma/The Self which is the only reality, and that everything else is illusionary. I don't believe all else is Maya. I believe everything is real, because God created it, and God is real; therefore, everything God creates is real.

That, at least, will bring about good dialogue between you and a Hindu (or a person of any other religion, really). Take time to understand their faith. You know how Catholics get annoyed when people go "lol Mary worshiper"? Or how annoying it is when people accuse us of worshiping saints? When people call the Eucharist "cannibalistic"?

Well, Hindus get annoyed when we go "lol cow worshiper" and go "OMB guys I watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom scary huh they akshully believe that lol" If (in general terms, not directed at anyone in particular) you are going to disagree and be against something...yelling "PAGANS" at the top of your lungs really loudly isn't going to change any minds.

And really, as an aside; Hinduism is an umbrella term for many, many different faiths and religions. There are so many sects and subsects, you could honestly go crazy trying to learn about them all.

Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2014, 12:56:30 PM »

btw: what have they contributed besids curry?

So being xenophobic and racist is OK as long as it's not directed against Greeks.  Got it.   

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »

Quote from: Eastern Mind
And really, as an aside; Hinduism is an umbrella term for many, many different faiths and religions. There are so many sects and subsects, you could honestly go crazy trying to learn about them all.

True. I didn't even think about that until recently.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »

I have and I worshiped them too, once. I don't think they are demons, though. I think they are false gods, but not demons. Kali's physical form is supposed to scare people away, so that those who want to learn about her will find a guru. She's symbolic. She's represents a deeper reality.

When you really read up on Hinduism, you'll understand a bit better. They're philisophical schools are really something else. Look up Vedanta sometime.

Basically, everything Mor said (can I be in your siggy now?)

isnt that what they acuused Christ using demons to fight exsorsise demons?

think abt it-they use demons to scare away demons, so to budhists, tibeten.

and also, yea we know that they are on the surface good. thats how they get you into it. \
realy reread   JAH777  post and look at the links that says it all.

but i find it funny how Mor goes out of his way to lets say be contrary to me by bashing othodoxy?
Mor your abt as nice as me.
but atleast i admit it. when i go out of my way and appear nasty its to ediffy.....most of the time.

jah777
"
Because Hindu spiritual practice is inherently demonic.

Some books to read on the subject include:

The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gurus-Young-Elder-Paisios/dp/1887904166

From Tibet to Mt. Athos to Elder Paisios (regarding Tibetan Buddhism, which has the same demonic origins)

http://www.notofthisworldicons.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001731-1351115875

Also, listen to Kenneth Klaus regarding his experience with Yoga and his conviction that it is demonic:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kenneth%20klaus%20yoga&sm=3"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:04:35 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: