OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:32:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Holy and Great Council will be held in 2016 in Istanbul  (Read 12887 times) Average Rating: 1
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« on: March 07, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »

Each Orthodox Church will be represented by 20 hierarchs.

Information is still in Greek and Bulgarian only.

http://www.amen.gr/article17153
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »

This is official?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »

Google:

Note that before the second part of the morning session, during the intermission, the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew had a long discussion in the patriarchal office with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow. - See more at: http://www.amen.gr/article17153#sthash.tpqIwD1c.dpuf

Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »

This is official?

The same information is on the Bulgarian Patriarchal site.

Each Orthodox Church will be represented by 20 hierarchs. Each Orthodox Church will have 1 vote and decisions will be taken unanimously.
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:12:47 PM »

This is official?

The same information is on the Bulgarian Patriarchal site.

Each Orthodox Church will be represented by 20 hierarchs. Each Orthodox Church will have 1 vote and decisions will be taken unanimously.

Please post more info as it becomes available.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »

Why 20? Why won't all the bishops be present?
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:25:52 PM »

Google:

Note that before the second part of the morning session, during the intermission, the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew had a long discussion in the patriarchal office with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow. - See more at: http://www.amen.gr/article17153#sthash.tpqIwD1c.dpuf

Wink

Mor!  It's Greek....I can't make heads or tails out of it!  Wink

I wonder what the two discussed.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »

Google:

Wink

Mor!  It's Greek....I can't make heads or tails out of it!  Wink

I wonder what the two discussed.

Go to theorthodoxchurch.info for English.   It will be held at St Irene's Cathedral in Constantinople. 
kyril

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada - OCA

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »

Will the Latins be invited as 'observers.'?

kyril
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

Would they all fit? Would they all even be able to make it?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »

I think laypeople ought to be invited as observers.  Wink

Wouldn't you love to be there?  I'd love to be a fly on the wall.....with a translator next to me. 

—St. Isaac of Syria
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »

Would they all fit? Would they all even be able to make it?
They can meet in a stadium if need be. Can 20 people realistically speaks for hundreds? I would imagine that after a decision is reached it will need to be approved by every synod.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »

I'll believe it after it happens.

My biggest concern is that they will try to wreck our fasting disciplines, and last time I checked that is on the agenda.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:17:13 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »

As I read now in romfea 20 was the final decision, they talk for 13 in past conversations

when I edit it's for your good, I make many mistakes when I write
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:21:26 PM by Ersaia » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »

My biggest concern is that they will try to wreck our fasting disciplines, and last time I checked that is on the agenda.

How? I haven't heard about that.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 03:24:08 PM »

Any idea what this 'great council' could address?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:24:53 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Ersaia
Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »

What Patriarch Kirill of Moscow asks for the Holy and Great Council

http://www.agioritikovima.gr/rosiki/40216-ti-zitie-o-pat

google translate is your friend
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »

Wouldn't you love to be there?  I'd love to be a fly on the wall.....with a translator next to me. 

Would the translator be, like, a cricket or something?

I wonder if the Oriental Orthodox will be invited as observers...or on the agenda!

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »

I wonder if the Oriental Orthodox will be invited as observers...or on the agenda!

If Patriarch John X has anything to say about it they'll at least be on the agenda. He's spoken very emphatically about the need to immediately act on the dialogue statements before, including once IIRC when visiting Patriarch Bartholomew.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 03:33:06 PM »

If they really are going to operate by consensus, I seriously doubt such a proposal would pass.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »

If they really are going to operate by consensus, I seriously doubt such a proposal would pass.

Although I actually like the Syriac Orthodox revision of the fasting discipline for the Nativity, the Dormition and the Apostles fast, I also doubt that any major changes are going to happen.
Ersaia
Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »

and another link
http://www.agioritikovima.gr/oikpa/40158-met-empodi%CE%BFn-i
Ersaia
Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »

and another link
http://www.dogma.gr/default.php?pname=Article&art_id=5548&catid=1

mama Russia!
 Tongue

and another link
http://www.dogma.gr/default.php?pname=Article&art_id=5538&catid=1
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »

Even with all of the churches having to approve the decisions made? I highly doubt it. We have mostly conservative hierarchs and I'm sure they know better than you or I on such matters.

Pray for our beloved hierarchs!

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »

Honestly: Because the hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church outnumber the rest combined.

It will be held at St Irene's Cathedral in Constantinople.  

Technically it is the Holy Peace of God, which is "Agia Irini" in Greek.  It is one of a handful of Churches in Constantinople that were dedicated to divine attributes (the most famous being the Holy Wisdom of God, "Agia Sophia").

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »

Honestly: Because the hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church outnumber the rest combined.

Technically it is the Holy Peace of God, which is "Agia Irini" in Greek.  It is one of a handful of Churches in Constantinople that were dedicated to divine attributes (the most famous being the Holy Wisdom of God, "Agia Sophia").

Seriously? That's amazing, Hagia Irene has been a concert hall for a while, and a military arsenal before that.

I think the last council to be held there (since Hagia Sophia was built really soon after this church was restored after a fire) was the First Council of Constantinople.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

I am not disputing that each church get one vote but the bishops should be present or how else can they get a consensus. If the 20 agree to something and then a synod of one of the local churches doesn't ratify it then it was pointless to have the council.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »

Precisely.  The working format of the Council is different than the ancient ones - the ancient councils, the hierarchs traveled with their theologians and helpers and stayed at the site to debate all the points until the council was over, regardless of the time it took (and the costs were covered by the State).  Here, the various committees (with representatives of each of the Churches) are working to draft various position papers that will then be presented for final debate (rather than working from scratch at the sessions).  

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »

Technically it is the Holy Peace of God, which is "Agia Irini" in Greek.  It is one of a handful of Churches in Constantinople that were dedicated to divine attributes (the most famous being the Holy Wisdom of God, "Agia Sophia").

Seriously? That's amazing, Hagia Irene has been a concert hall for a while, and a military arsenal before that.

I think the last council to be held there (since Hagia Sophia was built really soon after this church was restored after a fire) was the First Council of Constantinople.

It is one of two Churches still standing in Constantinople from pre-1451 that was never converted into a Mosque.

---------------------
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »

Technically it is the Holy Peace of God, which is "Agia Irini" in Greek.  It is one of a handful of Churches in Constantinople that were dedicated to divine attributes (the most famous being the Holy Wisdom of God, "Agia Sophia").

It is one of two Churches still standing in Constantinople from pre-1451 that was never converted into a Mosque.

I had the pleasure of walking through it when I was in Istanbul a few years ago. I couldn't walk into the nave though, only the courtyard & narthex. Most of the mosaics are gone and the walls are bare due to the many earthquakes and the iconoclasts. The only thing you can really see is the iconoclastic cross in the apse.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »

I am not disputing that each church get one vote but the bishops should be present or how else can they get a consensus. If the 20 agree to something and then a synod of one of the local churches doesn't ratify it then it was pointless to have the council.

One of the key changes is the format - all the Churches will have the various position papers and ideas in advance (rather than walking into a council with a blank slate), so the synods will have a chance to thoroughly discuss things with the reps.  And, of course, they'll be available via telephone.

I'm not sure that stating "20 hierarchs from each Church" is implying "none others will be present."  Who knows?  If I were a bishop and not a voting member, I'd pay from my own funds (i.e. not diocesan) to be there for the council, even if I had to hang out in the plaza outside the Church/Palace (since the Church is at present integrated into the larger grounds of Topkapi).

---------------------
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »

Thank you Fr. for the clarification
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My great-grandmother, the elderly nun Verena

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »

Which of the attending Churches has the least number of hierarchs?

The way I see it, why not bring however many they have?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »

They may (who knows?), but only the 20 will be part of the voting delegation.

---------------------
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

Lord Have Mercy on the victims of 9/11.

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »

Is this like Vatican I and II. I mean, is it very very serious important event ? Would we see a new Orthodoxy or something like what happened in Catholicism in Vatican II ?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:46:18 PM by Raylight » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »

Effectively, doesn't that mean there will only be 20 bishops from the MP, ROCOR, and OCA combined with the OCA most likely not having a single vote? Will the EP have a means of approving those 20 MP-ROCOR-OCA bishops to grant them voting status? In other words, can EP staffers at the event deny voting rights to certain bishops?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »

Is this like Vatican I and II. I mean, is it very very serious important event ? Would we see a new Orthodoxy or something like what happened in Catholicism in Vatican II ?

No, thank God, it is nothing like Vatican I or II.  By the grace of God this council will never fall into such errors.  They will consider 8 points:

1. Changes to fasting regulations
2.  Impediments to marriage
3.  The calendar
4. What to do about overlapping jurisdictions in the diaspora
5.  Relations with other Christian churches such as Roman Catholics, Old Catholics, Oriental Orthodox, and Anglicans
6. When and how a church receives autonomy
7. Participation in the World Council of Churches
8. Witness to the world on ethical and moral concerns

These were set forth in a 1976 pre conciliar document.  

Two other topics set forth there will not be considered:

9.  How to grant autocephaly
10.  Ranking in the diptychs
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

Lord Have Mercy on the victims of 9/11.

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »

No, thank God, it is nothing like Vatican I or II.  By the grace of God this council will never fall into such errors.  They will consider 8 points:

1. Changes to fasting regulations
2.  Impediments to marriage
3.  The calendar
4. What to do about overlapping jurisdictions in the diaspora
5.  Relations with other Christian churches such as Roman Catholics, Old Catholics, Oriental Orthodox, and Anglicans
6. When and how a church receives autonomy
7. Participation in the World Council of Churches
8. Witness to the world on ethical and moral concerns

These were set forth in a 1976 pre conciliar document.  

Two other topics set forth there will not be considered:

9.  How to grant autocephaly
10.  Ranking in the diptychs

Phew, because I saw the confusion Vatican II caused to many Catholics and how Catholicism have changed so much that many people felt the need to leave the church*

My only hope of this Council is to become closer and closer with other Christian Churches without giving up our beliefs.

* Change is good for sure, and developing is good indeed, but beliefs are untouchable.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »

You mean you don't want to reduce Eucharistic fasting to an hour and all other fasting limited to just Wednesdays and Fridays of Lent?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »

I'm not sure how to answer this.  I highly doubt that you'd see the kind of pivot that happened at either of those councils with us, especially considering the prerequisite for consensus (i.e. unanimous decisions).  

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »

Effectively, doesn't that mean there will only be 20 bishops from the MP, ROCOR, and OCA combined with the OCA most likely not having a single vote? Will the EP have a means of approving those 20 MP-ROCOR-OCA bishops to grant them voting status? In other words, can EP staffers at the event deny voting rights to certain bishops?

I'm presuming that as in days of old each autocephalous Church is free to designate its own representatives regardless of the feelings of the other Churches.  But I do suspect that the only way the OCA is coming to the table is as members of the Patriarchate of Moscow delegation since their claim of autocephaly is indirectly one of the agenda items. 

---------------------
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 06:41:47 PM »

Will this be an "ecumenical" council?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »

Will this be an "ecumenical" council?

You'll probably have to wait another 100 years or so to find out. Maybe even 500 since two, much bigger councils haven't even been declared "ecumenical". But a council doesn't need to be "ecumenical" to be accepted.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:07:39 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »

I'm presuming that as in days of old each autocephalous Church is free to designate its own representatives regardless of the feelings of the other Churches.  But I do suspect that the only way the OCA is coming to the table is as members of the Patriarchate of Moscow delegation since their claim of autocephaly is indirectly one of the agenda items.  

As a member of the OCA, I honestly don't care if we are in the council. If things go according to plan, the OCA (hopefully) won't even exist in 2017. With the work of the Assembly, or in spite of a lack of work, I think that the council in 2016 will end with us united in the Americas. We can either use the Assembly to help the process, or be dragged kicking and screaming, but I think it's happening either way.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:10:36 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Tags: Primacy ecclesiology Great Council councils 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: