OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:32:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Πρεσβυτέρα ή παπαδιά;  (Read 444 times)
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« on: March 06, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »

I noticed today in my Greek dictionary that παπαδιά was the word for priest's wife. In my limited American experience in Greek parishes I had always heard the priest's wife referred to as πρεσβυτέρα. Which is used in what context and why? καλή σαρακοστή!

In Christ
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »

I noticed today in my Greek dictionary that παπαδιά was the word for priest's wife. In my limited American experience in Greek parishes I had always heard the priest's wife referred to as πρεσβυτέρα. Which is used in what context and why? καλή σαρακοστή!

In Christ
Andrew

Papadia is less formal than presvytera.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »

Is the accent really on the ultima?  Whenever I've heard παπαδιά used, the accent was always on the antepenult. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »

Is the accent really on the ultima?  Whenever I've heard παπαδιά used, the accent was always on the antepenult. 
According to my dictionary and Google Translate it's the ultima. Maybe we can get a native speaker to confirm? The Bulgarian cognate is попадия which has an accent on the penultimate. I had never heard of παπαδιά until today. It's neat learning all this linguistic cross-pollination. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »

Definitely on the ultima.  A few of the other Balkan cultures use "Papadia" (instead of Matushka or Khouria or Presvytera).

As LBK mentioned, παπαδιά is much less formal than πρεσβυτέρα.  I prefer the latter (as does my wife) largely because it preserves the ancient title of the priest (presbyter) better than our common practice (calling him "Father" or "priest").

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »

Definitely on the ultima. 

Interesting.  I guess what I've been hearing is a mispronunciation, like "Ma-TOUSH-ka" instead of "MA-tush-ka" (this one really annoys my inner Slav). 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »

whatever, but can anyone tell me what a "klaso papadia" is?
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 12:51:54 AM »

whatever, but can anyone tell me what a "klaso papadia" is?

If it means what I think it does ....  Tongue
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »

Interesting.  I guess what I've been hearing is a mispronunciation, like "Ma-TOUSH-ka" instead of "MA-tush-ka" (this one really annoys my inner Slav). 

Don't feel badly. All too often students of Greek seek hard and fast "rules" of grammar. This approach, largely found in most universities, ignores studying HOW the people actually use/used their language. Accents, created in second century A.D. Alexandria, began this attempt at codification. Before then there were none really. Greek was, and to some extent still is, a study in exceptions.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:14:08 AM »

Tell me about it!   laugh

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 01:28:04 PM »

Don't feel badly. All too often students of Greek seek hard and fast "rules" of grammar. This approach, largely found in most universities, ignores studying HOW the people actually use/used their language. Accents, created in second century A.D. Alexandria, began this attempt at codification. Before then there were none really. Greek was, and to some extent still is, a study in exceptions.
Wisdom! :p

In Christ,
Andrew

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:54:02 PM »

Accents, created in second century A.D. Alexandria, began this attempt at codification. Before then there were none really.

When I studied Greek, one of the first lessons was on accent rules.  Supposedly, it was all really easy to figure out and so it was a minor point before moving on to other things.  Well, not for me.  It didn't matter how much time I spent with the book, with the prof, with the TA, with a study buddy, I could not figure out how accents worked.  I learned everything else quite well and, despite being several years removed from consistent use, can still hold my own for my own purposes, but accents are my undoing. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »

we use the word "παπαδιά" usually

"πρεσβυτέρα" is more formal and I have no idea who will use it, it's very unfamiliar for me

in past we had 1 priest and he was lived in my neighborhood, everyone call her παπαδιά, I have no idea about her name but anyone knew her

now, we have 4 priests in my church, I have no idea if they are married

and to finish with that if I ask my 70+ mother what πρεσβυτέρα is she will not know.

klaso=fart, I never heard this word with the papadia word but as I search now I found that in some areas call one insect "κλασοπαπαδιά", the name we use for this insect usually is βρομούσα which it means something with bad smell
http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%92%CF%81%CE%BF%CE%BC%CE%BF%CF%8D%CF%83%CE%B1

In greek when you see a ά,ί,ό.έ etc use it, we have the mark for a reason  Grin
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »

In Romanian "papadie/-a" means "dandelion". i wonder if there is a link there.
I've just checked and that's the etymology given : Modern Greek/Bulgarian "papadia".
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:05:09 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Ersaia
Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »

In Romanian "papadie/-a" means "dandelion". i wonder if there is a link there.

from Greek language no
papadia is the wife of papas (priest)

in past they used to make something like this with names also

so Γιώργαινα was the wife of Γιώργος (George)
I just remember a song Tongue  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6llTBiMC5Fg
DON'T use it today for women they will slap you Tongue
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »

my inner Slav

Quote of the month.  Thanks for the laugh!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 05:50:51 PM »

I would say that both words are valid. The Greek language is comprised of a common language and upper aristocrat dialect. Lay people from villages commonly use the lower dialect or common language as there form of expression. People in Greece can usually identify social status based on vocabulary used during a conversation. The same actually occurs here in the USA.  I'll give you a perfect example. A few week ago I was jogging in my neighborhood and I came across a neighbor. I kindly waved to say hello and he replied. I see you are out on your daily constitution. I simply replied yes because I knew that constitution meant exercise ritual. Try explaining that to someone from a different social class and you can see where problems can arise. Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »

I see you are out on your daily constitutional.

Fixed it for you.  Wink
Ersaia
Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 06:50:29 PM »

I would say that both words are valid. The Greek language is comprised of a common language and upper aristocrat dialect. Lay people from villages commonly use the lower dialect or common language as there form of expression. People in Greece can usually identify social status based on vocabulary used during a conversation. The same actually occurs here in the USA.  I'll give you a perfect example. A few week ago I was jogging in my neighborhood and I came across a neighbor. I kindly waved to say hello and he replied. I see you are out on your daily constitution. I simply replied yes because I knew that constitution meant exercise ritual. Try explaining that to someone from a different social class and you can see where problems can arise. Wink

This is not the case, at least it's not in 2014 Greece.

Big greek newspaper -> http://www.kathimerini.gr/491669/article/epikairothta/ellada/isovia-sthn-papadia-kai-ston-synergo-ths-gia-ton-fono-toy-ierea
Big greek tv channel -> http://www.skai.gr/news/greece/article/235988/ileia-isovia-gia-tin-papadia-kai-ton-erasti-tis/
another big greek newspaper -> http://www.tovima.gr/society/article/?aid=519483

as you can see they use the word παπαδιά

now let's see this
http://www.romfea.gr/ieres-mitropoleis/22181-2014-02-04-13-37-45
There you can find the πρεσβυτερα, it's an article written from a Metropolite office for a church news site

LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »

This is not the case, at least it's not in 2014 Greece.

Big greek newspaper -> http://www.kathimerini.gr/491669/article/epikairothta/ellada/isovia-sthn-papadia-kai-ston-synergo-ths-gia-ton-fono-toy-ierea
Big greek tv channel -> http://www.skai.gr/news/greece/article/235988/ileia-isovia-gia-tin-papadia-kai-ton-erasti-tis/
another big greek newspaper -> http://www.tovima.gr/society/article/?aid=519483

as you can see they use the word παπαδιά

now let's see this
http://www.romfea.gr/ieres-mitropoleis/22181-2014-02-04-13-37-45
There you can find the πρεσβυτερα, it's an article written from a Metropolite office for a church news site

In the past 20 years or so, there has been a shift in standard Greek towards what would once have been considered vernacular. Declensions and vocabulary has changed to the "lower" forms from the "higher" form, leading to an unfortunate and unnecessary dumbing-down of the language. This "higher" form I'm referring to is not katharevousa, I might add.
Ersaia
Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 07:48:36 AM »

I don't think it's 20 years. I finish the school on 1993, the only changes I can see from then is some attempts to simplify the orthography to some words. So the τραίνο (train) now accepted as τρένο and ντοκυμαντέρ (documentary) accepted as ντοκιμαντέρ.
The other big problem for the new generation is the "greeklish" they wrote greek with latin alphabet because of the computers and chat.

The only change I have seen in my life was the monotonic when I start the school, we had polytonic only in my first year on school. This happen the first years of 80's

(Btw I live in a big city all my life, in villages when I was child they talk their local languages and they are very different from modern greek in so many ways)
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »

I don't think it's 20 years. I finish the school on 1993, the only changes I can see from then is some attempts to simplify the orthography to some words. So the τραίνο (train) now accepted as τρένο and ντοκυμαντέρ (documentary) accepted as ντοκιμαντέρ.
The other big problem for the new generation is the "greeklish" they wrote greek with latin alphabet because of the computers and chat.

The only change I have seen in my life was the monotonic when I start the school, we had polytonic only in my first year on school. This happen the first years of 80's

(Btw I live in a big city all my life, in villages when I was child they talk their local languages and they are very different from modern greek in so many ways)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

A generation ago, the Ministry of Defense was called Υπουργείο Εθνικής Αμύνης (Ypourgeio Ethnikis Amynis). The standard use now is Υπουργείο Εθνικής ΄Αμυνας (Ypourgeio Ethnikis Amynas). Amynas was previously the vernacular, or "common" form, and regarded as too "low" for official or standard use.

Other examples of this include the changing of word endings to "lower" forms, such as -ιον (-ion) becoming -ι (-i).
Ersaia
Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »

the (-ion) belongs to katharevousa yes they change this but not the last 20 years, I never learn to use the words in this form and I am almost 40.

I have no idea why they change the Αμύνης but we use this form of the word because we connect it with our modern history. This song can considered as "low" because it is a traditional rebetico song (rebetica was once forbidden), most rebetico-people were illiterate then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzmOsMXCmx4

I continue use the word Αμύνης for the ministry (but they change names for the minitries all the time) and as you can see I choose a video with children

Old Greek   
ονομαστική   ἄμυνα
γενική    ἀμύνης
δοτική   ἀμύνῃ
αιτιατική   ἄμυναν
κλητική   ἄμυνα

Modern Greek
ονομαστική   άμυνα
γενική   άμυνας / αμύνης (κ. λόγ.)
δοτική   αμύνη (λόγ.)
αιτιατική   άμυνα / άμυναν (λόγ.)
κλητική   άμυνα
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »

the (-ion) belongs to katharevousa yes they change this but not the last 20 years, I never learn to use the words in this form and I am almost 40.

I am older than you by quite a few years.  Smiley
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »

I see you are out on your daily constitutional.

Fixed it for you.  Wink
Thanks.  Grin

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: