Author Topic: Too busy for church on Ash Wednesday? New Yorkers can get 'Ashes To Go'  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru

In a city that isn’t known for its religiosity, Presbyterian pastor Rev. Mieke Vandersall says she’s surprised every Ash Wednesday by how many New Yorkers stream through the subways and sidewalks with crosses on their foreheads.

“It’s a little exposing,” Vandersall told The News about the old Christian tradition. “And a lot of people that want to get ashes are not church-going people.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/busy-church-new-yorkers-ashes-ash-wednesday-article-1.1710819#ixzz2v6EXTC7L

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/busy-church-new-yorkers-ashes-ash-wednesday-article-1.1710819

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?  Shouldn't one go to church and pray and get immersed in the whole "churchy" thing?

Very sad...when even Lent is so superficial.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
oh dear...

Ashes to go.....

canon of Saint Andrew....

such a rough choice.... :laugh:
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
Yeah, what's next?  Eucharist through a McDonalds' Drive Thru?

The article showed them mixing the ashes at a Starbucks.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:31:39 AM by Adela »

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
I don't see this as that extreme.   Didn't God say when two or three are gathered in my name there I am present?  Not saying I entirely agree with the premise, but extreme.... nah.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:53:06 AM by yeshuaisiam »
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
I have time throughout the week for church services.
Learn meditation.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
Yeah, what's next?  Eucharist through a McDonalds' Drive Thru?

The article showed them mixing the ashes at a Starbucks.

Already have drive-thru communion. Like this.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
I won't lie: I love Ash Wednesday. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
They look friendly enough...

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
I don't see this as that extreme.   Didn't God say when two or three are gathered in my name there I am present?  Not saying I entirely agree with the premise, but extreme.... nah.

But did the women in the picture incite you to fall?  Were the colors they wore too flashy?  Was there too much makeup on the pastor (who is wearing red, by the way)?  Do you think she was competing with her sisters in Christ?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:20:47 PM by Adela »

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
Re: Too busy for church on Ash Wednesday? New Yorkers can get 'Ashes To Go'
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »
When I read the title I was almost certain that it was Jetavan who created this thread. Guess not...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:27:08 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
They look friendly enough...

By their smile you will know them. Obviously not Orthodox.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »
I don't see this as that extreme.   Didn't God say when two or three are gathered in my name there I am present?  Not saying I entirely agree with the premise, but extreme.... nah.

But did the women in the picture incite you to fall?  Were the colors they wore too flashy?  Was there too much makeup on the pastor (who is wearing red, by the way)?  Do you think she was competing with her sisters in Christ?
Let's not bring that debate over here. Thank you.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »

Let's not bring that debate over here. Thank you.

OK.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »
also from the article:
Vandersall is planning to distribute ashes with a group of volunteers from Presbyterian Welcome, an LGBT-friendly non-profit that she directs.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/busy-church-new-yorkers-ashes-ash-wednesday-article-1.1710819#ixzz2v7rNhND1

i only went to ash wednesday once during an anglican phase on the way to orthodoxy. it was much better than minimising the role of repeated repentance as many protestants do.
at that time, i couldn't understand why my orthodox friend was not excited about the idea of ash wednesday.
he explained that orthodox repentance was private and personal, and we keep our level of spirituality (fasting, praying, giving etc) private, so we are not proud of it.

orthodox lent is more beautiful and deeper than ash wednesday.
i love lenten fasting
 :)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
Have you ever attended Tridentine Ash Wednesday Mass? Can't see why how that would be somehow less beautiful or less deep than Byzantine/Coptic way of doing things. Who knows, maybe it's a pre-schismatic tradition.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
also from the article:
Vandersall is planning to distribute ashes with a group of volunteers from Presbyterian Welcome, an LGBT-friendly non-profit that she directs.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/busy-church-new-yorkers-ashes-ash-wednesday-article-1.1710819#ixzz2v7rNhND1

i only went to ash wednesday once during an anglican phase on the way to orthodoxy. it was much better than minimising the role of repeated repentance as many protestants do.
at that time, i couldn't understand why my orthodox friend was not excited about the idea of ash wednesday.
he explained that orthodox repentance was private and personal, and we keep our level of spirituality (fasting, praying, giving etc) private, so we are not proud of it.

orthodox lent is more beautiful and deeper than ash wednesday.
i love lenten fasting
 :)
As salvador Dali said "My third marriage shall be in the Coptic rite".
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 08:56:49 PM »
Have you ever attended Tridentine Ash Wednesday Mass?

I did, a few hours ago.  I didn't go up for ashes or anything like that, but I had a good time with the people, and the liturgy is peaceful. 

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 09:01:16 PM »
Have you ever attended Tridentine Ash Wednesday Mass?

I did, a few hours ago.  I didn't go up for ashes or anything like that, but I had a good time with the people, and the liturgy is peaceful. 

How long did the liturgy last? Did they have a choir or was it peacefully quiet?
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 09:26:55 PM »
How long did the liturgy last? Did they have a choir or was it peacefully quiet?

Low Mass, so no choir.  It was about seventy-five minutes or so.  Fairly quiet and contemplative, and the people are nice.  I just wish the service was served better.  Not having a microphone is OK, and I can tolerate a "said" Mass, but why mutter?   

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »

Low Mass, so no choir.  It was about seventy-five minutes or so.  Fairly quiet and contemplative, and the people are nice.  I just wish the service was served better.  Not having a microphone is OK, and I can tolerate a "said" Mass, but why mutter?    

Hey, before I became an Orthodox Christian, I used to attend one of the low private masses at 6 or 7 am at a Dominican seminary. At that hour, a priest was so sleepy and the Liturgy was so quiet that he would forget that anyone else was attending, so sometimes he would not even offer communion.  And yes, those priests did m-utter or utter the prayers in a very low voice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:48:00 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?  Shouldn't one go to church and pray and get immersed in the whole "churchy" thing?

Very sad...when even Lent is so superficial.

Exactly.  And people wonder why western Christian confessions are headed to extinction?  If their clergy don't take the spiritual life seriously why should the laity?
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.