OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 04:02:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ROCOR WRV does still exist, yes?  (Read 4395 times) Average Rating: 0
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »

Am I the only one that thinks that the WR would do better if it was independent of Eastern Rite Churches?

Here is what I mean. Take 10 Eastern monks train them on the Western Rite and then ordain them bishops of a autonomous western rite church with instructions of allowing organic growth as long as them conform to EO theology.

Would you carve out a geographic location for them too or just give the stamp of approval for overlapping jurisdictions?

Personally, I don't foresee us getting rid of overlapping jurisdictions in the near future. I know that is what a lot of people are expecting with the Assemblies but I will believe when I see it. It may be that they are here to stay and I can accept that.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »

You want to be eastern be Orthodox, you want to be Latin be Catholic
This is why the WRO are misunderstood, because of ignorant statements like this.

Perhaps we're seeing here why e.g. there are no WRO in Greece.

Last time I checked, neither Antioch nor ROCOR have a jurisdictional presence on Greece.

I'm not sure if this was meant as a serious response or not, but you're right, neither Antioch nor ROCOR have a jurisdictional presence on Greece.

I won't speak for LBK, but I'm not sure if your questions/comments are serious to begin with.  

Well, that's really a very broad-based attack, so I'm not really sure what to say in defense of myself or my participation on this forum. But regardless, it truly amazes me that the lack of Western-Rite Orthodox in Greece would be explained (if that is in fact what LBK meant) in terms of the Antiochians and ROCOR not being present there.

Why would you expect Western Rite Orthodox in a country which is predominantly Eastern Orthodox?  It's like criticising the Vatican for not having a Syro-Malankara parish within its geographic bounds.  

Um, sure, it's like criticising the Vatican for not having a Syro-Malankara parish within its geographic bounds.
[/sarcasm]

Sorry couldn't resist. But unless I'm greatly misinformed, the number of Malankara Christians in Italy is, if not non-existent, certainly much smaller than the 100,000+ Western Catholics in Greece (assuming it matters whether your comparison makes sense or not Smiley).

The western Catholics in Greece are there because of the way history has panned out there. Franks, Venetians, Crusaders, and even the British have held sway in Greek islands and regions at various times over the past thousand years.
jwinch2

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »

Does anyone have an updated status on the ROCOR Western Rite Vicariate? 

Just curious. 

+Pax 
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2014, 11:38:58 PM »

Just curious. 

+Pax 

Christminster, as far as their website says, still exists, only reloacted to Niagara Falls, NY from Hamilton, ON for unrelated reasons to what the Bishops have done
jwinch2

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:02 PM »

Just curious. 

+Pax 

Christminster, as far as their website says, still exists, only reloacted to Niagara Falls, NY from Hamilton, ON for unrelated reasons to what the Bishops have done

Thanks.  No news on the rest of the WRV parishes? 
Bob2

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2014, 11:49:53 PM »

I have heard nothing new. I don't have an opinion on the matter because I don't feel qualified to have one, but I heard one ROCOR priest suggest that thoughts of  interest into the Western Rite be treated as impure thoughts, and if one was dead set on exploring the WR to do so through the Antiochian WR, because of the irregularities of ROCOR WR.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:51:28 PM by Bob2 » Logged
Hamartolos
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »

With all the opposition in ROCOR to the Western Rite, why don't the Antiochians absorb them? 

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Aboonah

Jurisdiction: MP/ROCOR

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »

Just a couple of comments...

Regarding: "Christminster, as far as their website says, still exists, only reloacted to Niagara Falls, NY from Hamilton, ON for unrelated reasons to what the Bishops have done"

While that could be said to be strictly true, the relocation itself as a result of some of the same things that caused the Synod to act.

Regarding: " I heard one ROCOR priest suggest that thoughts of  interest into the Western Rite be treated as impure thoughts, and if one was dead set on exploring the WR to do so through the Antiochian WR, because of the irregularities of ROCOR WR."

That's the kind of comment (by the unnamed Priest) which should be taken for what it's worth: nothing.

In general: the W/R is alive, well, and functioning in the ROCOR. The 2015 W/R Conference has been scheduled for next year. The very fact that nothing seems to be appearing to spark discussion is evidence that the W/R is recovering/healing from it's problems which the Synod dealt with. This is truly a case in which "no news is good news," I believe.

Protopriest Anthony

V. Rev. Protopriest Anthony Nelson
Saint Benedict Russian Orthodox Church
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA
jwinch2

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2014, 12:29:18 AM »

Regarding: "Christminster, as far as their website says, still exists, only reloacted to Niagara Falls, NY from Hamilton, ON for unrelated reasons to what the Bishops have done"

While that could be said to be strictly true, the relocation itself as a result of some of the same things that caused the Synod to act.

Regarding: " I heard one ROCOR priest suggest that thoughts of  interest into the Western Rite be treated as impure thoughts, and if one was dead set on exploring the WR to do so through the Antiochian WR, because of the irregularities of ROCOR WR."

That's the kind of comment (by the unnamed Priest) which should be taken for what it's worth: nothing.

In general: the W/R is alive, well, and functioning in the ROCOR. The 2015 W/R Conference has been scheduled for next year. The very fact that nothing seems to be appearing to spark discussion is evidence that the W/R is recovering/healing from it's problems which the Synod dealt with. This is truly a case in which "no news is good news," I believe.

Protopriest Anthony

Interesting.  According to your website, you are still not offering liturgy according to the Western Rite.  Is that correct? Are other WRV Parishes in ROCOR in a similar situation? 
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2014, 12:34:14 AM »

Protopriest Anthony
That is good to hear.  Smiley

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Aboonah

Jurisdiction: MP/ROCOR

« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2014, 12:42:57 AM »

RE: "Interesting.  According to your website, you are still not offering liturgy according to the Western Rite.  Is that correct? Are other WRV Parishes in ROCOR in a similar situation?"

No others like us. We are the only bi-ritual parish in the Russian Church. We still serve W/R several times per week, but not on an advertised schedule, publicly. The reasons are several, but primary among them is that in the current 1.3 million population of the Oklahoma City metro area, there is not enough interest in the W/R to warrant it. The only other Orthodox W/R effort in the area - by the Antiochians - closed several years ago, suffering dropping membership and never grew over the time after being received from the Charismatic Episcopal church previously. Those parishioners - less than 20 I believe, at the time of closing, scattered: some became E/R, a couple became RC, a few joined various prot. denominations, some just disappeared. The Priest is now serving E/R in an Antiochian mission.

Protopriest Anthony

V. Rev. Protopriest Anthony Nelson
Saint Benedict Russian Orthodox Church
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA
jwinch2

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2014, 10:57:41 AM »

RE: "Interesting.  According to your website, you are still not offering liturgy according to the Western Rite.  Is that correct? Are other WRV Parishes in ROCOR in a similar situation?"

No others like us. We are the only bi-ritual parish in the Russian Church. We still serve W/R several times per week, but not on an advertised schedule, publicly. The reasons are several, but primary among them is that in the current 1.3 million population of the Oklahoma City metro area, there is not enough interest in the W/R to warrant it. The only other Orthodox W/R effort in the area - by the Antiochians - closed several years ago, suffering dropping membership and never grew over the time after being received from the Charismatic Episcopal church previously. Those parishioners - less than 20 I believe, at the time of closing, scattered: some became E/R, a couple became RC, a few joined various prot. denominations, some just disappeared. The Priest is now serving E/R in an Antiochian mission.

Protopriest Anthony

Thank you Father, for the information. 

+Pax
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »

No others like us. We are the only bi-ritual parish in the Russian Church. We still serve W/R several times per week, but not on an advertised schedule, publicly. The reasons are several, but primary among them is that in the current 1.3 million population of the Oklahoma City metro area, there is not enough interest in the W/R to warrant it.

I find this a bit confusing. I don't know anything about how to arrange a proper parish life but since you celebrate WR anyway it does seem a bit weird that you don't publish the schedule. Is it troublesome to put the schedule on the website or something?

gueranger
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

St. Alexis of Wilkes Barre, pray for me a sinner.

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »

Is there an updated list of parishes that still use the Western Rite in ROCOR?

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
Bob2

« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »

Is there an updated list of parishes that still use the Western Rite in ROCOR?

Not sure when this was last updated : http://www.rwrv.org/map.html
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »

We still serve W/R several times per week, but not on an advertised schedule, publicly. The reasons are several, but primary among them is that in the current 1.3 million population of the Oklahoma City metro area, there is not enough interest in the W/R to warrant it.

Protopriest Anthony
Father, how can you build interest  in it if you don't advertise it and invite people to attend it?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: