OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 10:26:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a Scientist Believe the Resurrection?  (Read 1612 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 02, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »

"Here I go back to Wittgenstein once more, not this time for a poker but for a famous and haunting aphorism: ‘It is love that believes the resurrection.’ ‘Simon, son of John,’ says Jesus, ‘do you love me?’ There is a whole world in that question, a world of personal invitation and challenge, of the remaking of a human being after disloyalty and disaster, of the refashioning of epistemology itself, the question of how we know things, to correspond to the new ontology, the question of what God’s new world is like. The reality which is the resurrection cannot simply be ‘known’ from within the old world of decay and denial, of tyrants and torture, of disobedience and death. But that’s the point. As I said, the resurrection is not, as it were, a highly peculiar event within the present world, though it is that as well; it is the defining, central, prototypical event of the new creation, the world which is being born with Jesus. If we are even to glimpse this new world, let alone enter it, we will need a different kind of knowing, a knowing which involves us in new ways, an epistemology which draws out from us not just the cool appraisal of detached quasi-scientific research, but the whole-person engagement and involvement for which the best shorthand is ‘love’, in the full Johannine sense of agape."
-- Anglican Bishop N. T Wright
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:32:25 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »

There is a whole world in that question, a world of personal invitation and challenge, of the remaking of a human being after disloyalty and disaster, of the refashioning of epistemology itself, the question of how we know things, to correspond to the new ontology, the question of what God’s new world is like. The reality which is the resurrection cannot simply be ‘known’ from within the old world of decay and denial, of tyrants and torture, of disobedience and death.

But that’s the point.

But this is my point.

Certain styles of writing put me to sleep or I start daydreaming about issues that seem more relevant to me. And it looks like this falls into that category.

Should I try reading the long lecture in the link? Seriously. In your opinion.

Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »

Yes.

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »

N T wright is hard to read, but he is also the best I have seen of his type.

But to the Question of the subject, there are many scientists who are firm Christians today, and one cannot deny science because it does not fit thier preconceived notions as have many well meaning religions in the past.

100 years ago no one really knew about dinosaurs, other galaxie in the universe, and Harvard refused to teach that we circle the sun, all in the name of religion, this just gives those with eyes to see less reason to believe, when the Church refuses to see the facts.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »

OK

2-Y:0-N, but I am going to wait until tomorrow because it looks unnecessarily tedious.

If you guys are joking I am never going to speak to you again (this is not a promise but a state of mind, so don't rejoice).
Incognito777
Muted
Elder

Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »

A scientist can believe in the resurrection if he will start to study ancient and New Testament history. Dr. Gary Habermas is the world's leading authority on the evidence for the resurrection of Christ. The following books were written by heterodox scholars, but I recommend them because they have good information.

The Case For The Resurrection of Jesus, by Habermas and Licona

Assessing the New Testament Evidence for the Historicity of the Resurrection of Jesus (Studies in the Bible and Early Christianity), by William Lane Craig

The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach, by Licona

The Resurrection of the Son of God, by Wright

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »

Should I try reading the long lecture in the link? Seriously. In your opinion.
I would say that the last sentence in the quote in my first post, is enough. Empirical science is one type of 'knowing', but not the only type of 'knowing'.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:49 AM »

Bp Wright writes under two variants of his name: N. T. Wright for erudite writings for academic theologians, and Tom Wright for ordinary serious, thinking readers. It might be best to read "Surprised by Hope", by Tom Wright, said to be the best book on the resurrection.

To answer the question of the thread, whether a scientist can believe in the resurrection of the body, the word "scientist" is a red herring. The question might as well be, Can anyone belive in the resurrection of the body? Surely the answer must be a resounding Yes, if Christ rose from the dead; and a decisive No if he did not. In the latter case we would be "of all men most miserable". But praise God, he is risen indeed. This is the assurance of a like resurrection for all his people.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 06:42:55 AM »

Can a scientist believe in the Resurrection? Of course he can! The mark of a good scientist is the humility that comes with knowing that science has allowed us to know a very great deal, but this knowledge only serves to highlight how much we DON'T know, and possibly never will.

Moreover, there are Orthodox saints who were trained in the sciences. A vivid example, and from our times, is St Luke of Simferopol, monk, later bishop, professor, and master surgeon during the Soviet era. His working in a field where scientific knowledge was essential was no barrier to his believing in the Resurrection, nor did it impede his sanctity.
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 08:11:23 AM »

I think the Question is more like "Can Resurrection exist as a Scientific Methodology".

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »

Why do we persist in giving credence (as Orthodox) this myth that science and Christianity are incompatible?  They're not.  So the answer to the question is an unequivocal "yes."  Science answers how questions, it is remarkably unable to give us answer to the why questions, hence the need for Christianity.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »

I think the Question is more like "Can Resurrection exist as a Scientific Methodology".

I would say that the scientific method is really unable to touch certain things. And that's fine.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »

Why do we persist in giving credence (as Orthodox) this myth that science and Christianity are incompatible?  They're not.  So the answer to the question is an unequivocal "yes."  Science answers how questions, it is remarkably unable to give us answer to the why questions, hence the need for Christianity.

There are even how questions which science is incapable of answering.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 12:15:52 AM »

For some reason, this this reminded me of a satirical newspaper article:

"For centuries, we have embraced the pursuit of scientific knowledge as one of the noblest and worthiest of human endeavors, one leading to the enrichment of mankind both today and for future generations," said keynote speaker and NSF chairman Louis Farian. "However, a breakthrough discovery is challenging our long-held perceptions about our discipline—the discovery that science is really, really hard."

"My area of expertise is the totally impossible science of particle physics," Farian continued, "but, indeed, this newly discovered 'Law of Difficulty' holds true for all branches of science, from astronomy to molecular biology and everything in between."

More here: http://www.theonion.com/articles/national-science-foundation-science-hard,1405/

Random thoughts:
Critiquing my own post. "For some reason" spells disaster, Why introduce something you obviously have no answer to? How can this serve a purpose? At least the way it is stated. Cite research that is trying to discover why some people are satisfied with "for some reason". Does it have implications towards mental stability? (And of course the next question to be answered is what is mental stability?) What is the  evolutionary utility of this attitude? Why wasn't the avoidance habits of Zebra fish used as a genetic system to help discover its root causes in humans?  The list endlessly goes on.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »

Certain styles of writing put me to sleep or I start daydreaming about issues that seem more relevant to me. And it looks like this falls into that category.

"Of course, as it were..."

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 07:10:46 PM »

For some reason, this this reminded me of a satirical newspaper article:

"For centuries, we have embraced the pursuit of scientific knowledge as one of the noblest and worthiest of human endeavors, one leading to the enrichment of mankind both today and for future generations," said keynote speaker and NSF chairman Louis Farian. "However, a breakthrough discovery is challenging our long-held perceptions about our discipline—the discovery that science is really, really hard."

"My area of expertise is the totally impossible science of particle physics," Farian continued, "but, indeed, this newly discovered 'Law of Difficulty' holds true for all branches of science, from astronomy to molecular biology and everything in between."

More here: http://www.theonion.com/articles/national-science-foundation-science-hard,1405/

Random thoughts:
Critiquing my own post. "For some reason" spells disaster, Why introduce something you obviously have no answer to? How can this serve a purpose? At least the way it is stated. Cite research that is trying to discover why some people are satisfied with "for some reason". Does it have implications towards mental stability? (And of course the next question to be answered is what is mental stability?) What is the  evolutionary utility of this attitude? Why wasn't the avoidance habits of Zebra fish used as a genetic system to help discover its root causes in humans?  The list endlessly goes on.

Opus > The Onion

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 07:14:03 PM »

Why does science answer how questions?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 07:18:27 PM »

How can you ask such a question?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28:11 PM »

How can you ask such a question?

Why can you ask such a question, angel

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 09:34:03 PM »

One can look at it this way: God is the epitome of Science He is the very origin of Science as we know it.  The problem is, that Science wants to remove God from the equation and then force feed us with theoretical reasons for our being.  Ergo, Theory remains theory and not fact.
A God fearing person or Scientist for that matter can and has believed in the Resurrection for a person can be both scientific and Religious.  I see no contradiction.  Since God is the source, man can only prove what God has set in motion.  If you are a Religious man and you know ALL things are possible through God then the Resurrection is not a stretch to a scientist who is a believer. 
IF, the scientist is not a believer then he is only left with one conclusion and that is :  He is his own god and will continue to struggle with the question.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 09:51:28 PM »

Sir Isaac Newton believed in the resurrection.
Sir Isaac Newton was a scientist.
Ergo...

Silly Stars
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 03:43:20 AM »

Isaac Newton was also a staunch believer in alchemy... those crazy science geek types.  Cool
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:13 AM »

Isaac Newton was also a staunch believer in alchemy... those crazy science geek types.  Cool
Indeed; Sir Isaac was also an Arian, ergo a scientist can believe in Arianism.

Too little or too much can be made of such things. The very question raised by this thread borders on what many prominent philosophers of science have referred to as scientism.[1]

A proposition that nothing should be believed other than that which is arrived at via scientific method would itself be a proposition not arrived at by scientific method and therefore unbelievable according to its own criteria.[2]
"Scientism is a term used to refer to belief in the universal applicability of the scientific method and approach, and the view that empirical science constitutes the most authoritative worldview or most valuable part of human learning to the exclusion of other viewpoints.[1] It has been defined as "the view that the characteristic inductive methods of the natural sciences are the only source of genuine factual knowledge and, in particular, that they alone can yield true knowledge about man and society."[2] An individual who subscribes to scientism is referred to as a scientismist.[3][4][5][6][7] The term scientism frequently implies a critique of the more extreme expressions of logical positivism[8][9] and has been used by social scientists such as Friedrich Hayek,[10] philosophers of science such as Karl Popper,[11] and philosophers such as Hilary Putnam[12] and Tzvetan Todorov[13] to describe the dogmatic endorsement of scientific methodology and the reduction of all knowledge to only that which is measurable.[14] "Scientism" has also been taken over as a name for the view that science is the only reliable source of knowledge by philosophers such as Alexander Rosenberg.[15] Scientism may refer to science applied "in excess". The term scientism can apply in either of two senses: To indicate the improper usage of science or scientific claims.[16] This usage applies equally in contexts where science might not apply,[17] such as when the topic is perceived to be beyond the scope of scientific inquiry, and in contexts where there is insufficient empirical evidence to justify a scientific conclusion. It includes an excessive deference to claims made by scientists or an uncritical eagerness to accept any result described as scientific. In this case, the term is a counterargument to appeals to scientific authority.
To refer to "the belief that the methods of natural science, or the categories and things recognized in natural science, form the only proper elements in any philosophical or other inquiry,"[18] or that "science, and only science, describes the world as it is in itself, independent of perspective"[12] with a concomitant "elimination of the psychological dimensions of experience."[19][20] The term is also used by historians, philosophers, and cultural critics to highlight the possible dangers of lapses towards excessive reductionism in all fields of human knowledge.[21][22][23][24][25] For social theorists in the tradition of Max Weber, such as Jürgen Habermas and Max Horkheimer, the concept of scientism relates significantly to the philosophy of positivism, but also to the cultural rationalization of the modern West.[14][26] British writer and feminist thinker Sara Maitland has called scientism a "myth as pernicious as any sort of fundamentalism."[27]

[2]Cf. Frederick Suppe, The Structure of Scientific Theories (University of Chicago Press) for the gradual demise and final repudiation of the once predominate paradigm of Logical Positivism and the Verifiability Principle as a criterion of meaning.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:08:52 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Cackles
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:57 AM »

Bp Wright writes under two variants of his name: N. T. Wright for erudite writings for academic theologians, and Tom Wright for ordinary serious, thinking readers. It might be best to read "Surprised by Hope", by Tom Wright, said to be the best book on the resurrection.

To answer the question of the thread, whether a scientist can believe in the resurrection of the body, the word "scientist" is a red herring. The question might as well be, Can anyone belive in the resurrection of the body? Surely the answer must be a resounding Yes, if Christ rose from the dead; and a decisive No if he did not. In the latter case we would be "of all men most miserable". But praise God, he is risen indeed. This is the assurance of a like resurrection for all his people.

I know 100% that the resurection happened as I've seen proof with my own eyes. Enoguh to scare me into not questioning the authenticity of the Gospel of John, and it scared me enough to stop eating pork. That's what sent me over the edge was seing the proof of the resurection. Till this day it scares me.. I mean.. Anyone can simply find the proof, but they wont bother.

The more faith dwindles, the more God puts out proof for those who want to find it. Very few these days want to find it. The Baptist community has restored my faith in God to an unshakeable level. The Born Again community in the US make up 200 MILLION people and have the highest percentage of any faith that believe God created us. 85% compared to 40% of Catholics and 15% Jews.

Thanks to the Baptists for their amazing works and in contributing to my new levels of faith that is now unshakeable thanks to you guys. I fealt born again after the evidence of the resurection and am very God fearing now.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 11:01:18 AM »

I know 100% that the resurection happened as I've seen proof with my own eyes. Enoguh to scare me into not questioning the authenticity of the Gospel of John, and it scared me enough to stop eating pork. That's what sent me over the edge was seing the proof of the resurection. Till this day it scares me.. I mean.. Anyone can simply find the proof, but they wont bother.

What was the proof you saw?  How can anyone find it?

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 12:09:03 PM »

Rather, you should say, how does science answer how questions. 
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »

Isaac Newton was also a staunch believer in alchemy... those crazy science geek types.  Cool
Indeed; Sir Isaac was also an Arian, ergo a scientist can believe in Arianism.

Too little or too much can be made of such things. The very question raised by this thread borders on what many prominent philosophers of science have referred to as scientism.[1]

A proposition that nothing should be believed other than that which is arrived at via scientific method would itself be a proposition not arrived at by scientific method and therefore unbelievable according to its own criteria.[2]
"Scientism is a term used to refer to belief in the universal applicability of the scientific method and approach, and the view that empirical science constitutes the most authoritative worldview or most valuable part of human learning to the exclusion of other viewpoints.[1] It has been defined as "the view that the characteristic inductive methods of the natural sciences are the only source of genuine factual knowledge and, in particular, that they alone can yield true knowledge about man and society."[2] An individual who subscribes to scientism is referred to as a scientismist.[3][4][5][6][7] The term scientism frequently implies a critique of the more extreme expressions of logical positivism[8][9] and has been used by social scientists such as Friedrich Hayek,[10] philosophers of science such as Karl Popper,[11] and philosophers such as Hilary Putnam[12] and Tzvetan Todorov[13] to describe the dogmatic endorsement of scientific methodology and the reduction of all knowledge to only that which is measurable.[14] "Scientism" has also been taken over as a name for the view that science is the only reliable source of knowledge by philosophers such as Alexander Rosenberg.[15] Scientism may refer to science applied "in excess". The term scientism can apply in either of two senses: To indicate the improper usage of science or scientific claims.[16] This usage applies equally in contexts where science might not apply,[17] such as when the topic is perceived to be beyond the scope of scientific inquiry, and in contexts where there is insufficient empirical evidence to justify a scientific conclusion. It includes an excessive deference to claims made by scientists or an uncritical eagerness to accept any result described as scientific. In this case, the term is a counterargument to appeals to scientific authority.
To refer to "the belief that the methods of natural science, or the categories and things recognized in natural science, form the only proper elements in any philosophical or other inquiry,"[18] or that "science, and only science, describes the world as it is in itself, independent of perspective"[12] with a concomitant "elimination of the psychological dimensions of experience."[19][20] The term is also used by historians, philosophers, and cultural critics to highlight the possible dangers of lapses towards excessive reductionism in all fields of human knowledge.[21][22][23][24][25] For social theorists in the tradition of Max Weber, such as Jürgen Habermas and Max Horkheimer, the concept of scientism relates significantly to the philosophy of positivism, but also to the cultural rationalization of the modern West.[14][26] British writer and feminist thinker Sara Maitland has called scientism a "myth as pernicious as any sort of fundamentalism."[27]

[2]Cf. Frederick Suppe, The Structure of Scientific Theories (University of Chicago Press) for the gradual demise and final repudiation of the once predominate paradigm of Logical Positivism and the Verifiability Principle as a criterion of meaning.

Scientism is a name for the dangerous temptation of the academy.  My field is the most important one and explains everything.  Why?   Because I have chosen it, of course.   When an expert loses his humility dangerous things can happen. 
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »

Well you could have found it if you were interested but heres a summary video which no one will likely watch. After i spent maybe 20 hours or so researching all sides, it put the fear of God in me and caused me to stop eating pork when I found out it was a direct order and then i began to take the afterlife seriously. I have two BBQ smokers outside. One charcoal and one gas. So Im trying to demonstrate how i take it for real and am putting money where my mouth is. Of course, most are scoffers and havent spent any time researching the other side of Evolution and c14 dating so they still show blind trust to science. But anyhow, here's the video and gift for those who want it. Maybe one person will see the light but I doubt it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9BFaKKmxYI

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »

What was the proof you saw?  How can anyone find it?

Well you could have found it if you were interested but heres a summary video which no one will likely watch. After i spent maybe 20 hours or so researching all sides, it put the fear of God in me and caused me to stop eating pork when I found out it was a direct order and then i began to take the afterlife seriously. I have two BBQ smokers outside. One charcoal and one gas. So Im trying to demonstrate how i take it for real and am putting money where my mouth is. Of course, most are scoffers and havent spent any time researching the other side of Evolution and c14 dating so they still show blind trust to science. But anyhow, here's the video and gift for those who want it. Maybe one person will see the light but I doubt it:

I promise to watch it. Then again I promised someone in 2011 or so that I would watch Hoop Dreams . . .
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:51:24 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 06:15:04 PM »

I promise to watch it. Then again I promised someone in 2011 or so that I would watch Hoop Dreams . . .

Are you comparing the importance of the video to that of hoop dreams? Hehe

The video is just a basic summary that doesnt go in depth at all. It's meant for the young Christians in college who are leaving the faith by the truckloads. It offers a seed into further research. It should scare you and put fear into you that you feel obligated to research further.

But if people go into the actual task of looking at 200 hours of evolution 'science', c14, and radio-icotope dating, as well as 20 hours of the above videos, then they wont be left without beleif in the resurection.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

It offers a seed into further research. It should scare you and put fear into you that you feel obligated to research further.

Less research. More thinking.
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »

The video is just a basic summary that doesnt go in depth at all. It's meant for the young Christians in college who are leaving the faith by the truckloads. It offers a seed into further research. It should scare you and put fear into you that you feel obligated to research further.

But if people go into the actual task of looking at 200 hours of evolution 'science', c14, and radio-icotope dating, as well as 20 hours of the above videos, then they wont be left without beleif in the resurection.

Faith based on just this type of evidence will fail, true faith must come from the heart.Jesus warned that those who must have incontrovertible evidence will never really believe (Lk 16:31).

He also said it was better to believe not having seen what the disciples saw.

John 20:29 ►

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »

I watched it.  If I didn't accept the Shroud as authentic (and I tend to accept it), I'm not sure this video would convince me.  The animated paintings made for an entertaining twenty minutes or so, but I'm not sure what about this presentation convinced you of the truth of the Resurrection or of the need to keep kosher.   

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 07:28:01 AM »

It offers a seed into further research. It should scare you and put fear into you that you feel obligated to research further.

Less research. More thinking.

You mean more 'thinking' about how we should play God and end other peoples lives as your sig suggests?

That is a huge sin and screams of the Church of Secular Humanism as one of their 'pillars' of Faith is that very same thing.

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »

Faith based on just this type of evidence will fail, true faith must come from the heart.Jesus warned that those who must have incontrovertible evidence will never really believe (Lk 16:31).

He also said it was better to believe not having seen what the disciples saw.

John 20:29 ►

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

I agree.

God does not give 100% proof on anything. If he did, this would take away our free will. This is something the Jews always say. Satan needs his room to work and go counter to what God wants.

However, I do believe that God allows a 'balance' of evidence for those that are seeking and want more info. So for instance, when the Bible came under heavy scrutiny and Christians stated to drop out of the Church, surprise surprise, God allows the Isaiah scrolls to be found validating the accuracy if the Bible word for word accurate, AND, further giving evidence that Isaiah was not tampered with and added to, AND, wouldnt ya know, it got found during the discussions of forming the state of Israel in 1947.

When the Internet gets completely overwhellmed with darkness and Atheism/Humanism, God will always throw a bone formthose who seek. Then new evidence comes out anout the shroud.

I saw all the videos about 20 hours worth and am sold 100% that it is the shroud. The BBC one goes most in depth but their all good.

Like you need to understand - a 3d holographic image in a NEGATIVE form is on the shroud that only shows up if you take a negative photo.. It takes UV light to examine the crown blood marks. This would have been i possible to hoax. If you only saw the in depth documentaries youd be a believer. The fruit is there for the picking for thos who want it. God makes this available for you.

What scared me and freaked me out was the magical light that must have burned in the negative image into the fabric. The 3d topography computer system does not work with any photos EXCEPT this shroud. The guy who owns the company says its the only picture on earth thats able to make a 3d image of a face. Someone made a 3d image of his whole body. Also theres a third piece in the shroud that is already in a museum and matches the shroud. All this stuff is in the documentaries.

The third shroud piece VALIDATES the Gospel of John. I never said it on the forum publically but I was never quite a believer in Johns authenticity (as well as many other schollars) but what this third piece does, is validate Johns Gospel as true. This is God allowing evidence and proofs to be placed out there for those who seek.

I went from being a believer with an ego, to now fearing God. As soon as I validated God said not to eat pork i swear on my life didnt eat a single piece since then. I became 'one of those people'. I swear to you i have two smokers, i have pictures of my smoked pork butt, and bacon and im giving up all of that. I can only smoke corned beef now. This is all due to fear of God after the shroud research and everything else i know.

Jews say too much faith is a bad thing. You should 'know' with some certainty. After all, this is required to fewr God. Supposedly God likes those who are stubborn and ask for lots of proofs because he ensures youll be provided with answers. Enough to give you 100% certainty. This scales along with the times. In the old days, you could show people a crying statue and that would be enough for 100% proof. Today, God gives assurance through prooofs that are compatible with modern times. At least thats what the Jews say. And whats funny is the Muslims say that God essentially beamed him back up. I studied a lot about the Jinn too. It all fits so well together.

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »

I watched it.  If I didn't accept the Shroud as authentic (and I tend to accept it), I'm not sure this video would convince me.  The animated paintings made for an entertaining twenty minutes or so, but I'm not sure what about this presentation convinced you of the truth of the Resurrection or of the need to keep kosher.   

No that video is just a basic summary. You need to watch the 1 hour bbc documentaries and such to get the fear of God placed in you. Theres so much more evidence that makes it impossible to forger. Of course God doesnt take away free will so he doesnt hand stuff to us on a silver platter.

This is why we chime the incense around. We cloud the vision as God does to us. He doesnt make things black and white, everything is in shades of grey. We need to be reminded that we dont have full clarity in this life.

If it wasnt for the new shroud evidence, then i wouldnt have stopped eating pork trust me. I now want to be in compliance as best I can. The muslims said that God beamed Jesus back up. Supposedly this whole spirit world is around us and we cant see it. The Jews and muslims are already ver aware of this. So is our Church why is why the toll houses intregued me so much. They can come in and out of our realm easily. We know that to have this effect would require light. So strong it would be some sort of radiation type of light.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »

You mean more 'thinking' about how we should play God and end other peoples lives as your sig suggests?

We already do that. We just put upside-down parameters on when and how and why it's done.

And by think more I mean actually think more. More thinking. Anyone with even a bachelors degree in a scientific discipline will have done far more than 200 hours of research/study. Probably more like 1200 hours. If they disagree with you, then what? What you are looking for is not in the research, it's what you do with it.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »

As soon as I validated God said not to eat pork i swear on my life didnt eat a single piece since then. I became 'one of those people'. I swear to you i have two smokers, i have pictures of my smoked pork butt, and bacon and im giving up all of that. I can only smoke corned beef now.

Umm, Cackles, Orthodox Christians are not bound to keep Jewish food laws. The eating of pork is permitted. From Acts 10:

9 The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”

14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”

15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

This passage also speaks of the acceptance of non-Jews as Christians, of course, but the fact that Christ completed and fulfilled the old Law means we are no longer under it. So kosher food laws or any element of them don't apply to Christians.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:06:39 PM by LBK » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »

No that video is just a basic summary. You need to watch the 1 hour bbc documentaries and such to get the fear of God placed in you. Theres so much more evidence that makes it impossible to forger. Of course God doesnt take away free will so he doesnt hand stuff to us on a silver platter.

Since I generally accept the Shroud's authenticity, and I already spent twenty minutes watching animated paintings with voice over from an audio Bible, I'd rather not waste time.  What is in the one hour BBC documentary that constitutes "the fear of God"? 

This is why we chime the incense around. We cloud the vision as God does to us. He doesnt make things black and white, everything is in shades of grey. We need to be reminded that we dont have full clarity in this life.

This is not why we use incense, even if it is a sufficiently interesting imagery. 

If it wasnt for the new shroud evidence, then i wouldnt have stopped eating pork trust me.

This is what I'm really interested in.  What was it about the Shroud's authenticity that convinced you to keep kosher? 

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »

The one who accepts scientism or naturalism cannot believe in the Resurrection because they exclude it as possible event in the first place.  A scientist who believes neither of these principles can believe in Resurrection.

Thank you.
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »

As soon as I validated God said not to eat pork i swear on my life didnt eat a single piece since then. I became 'one of those people'. I swear to you i have two smokers, i have pictures of my smoked pork butt, and bacon and im giving up all of that. I can only smoke corned beef now.

Umm, Cackles, Orthodox Christians are not bound to keep Jewish food laws. The eating of pork is permitted. From Acts 10:

9 The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”

14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”

15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

This passage also speaks of the acceptance of non-Jews as Christians, of course, but the fact that Christ completed and fulfilled the old Law means we are no longer under it. So kosher food laws or any element of them don't apply to Christians.

I spent hours debating those passages and going over all the evidence (while i had 2 McDonalds sausage and egg McMuffins in the fridge). I checked what our church said, the catholics, the evangelicals, and of course the Rabbi's.

I found the truth to be that the command was directly from God and valid until this day without excuse. I checked  about a dozen translations of the above story and picked it apart.

What happened is, Peter was part of a Sect of Jews who didnt believe... Actually you know what maybe i shouldnt go into it because Paul says Im not allowed to promote dietary things because it can lead to 'whos a better christian' which breaks the first and tenth commandment and is against Paul saying not to specifically regarding this issue.

So i dont want to tell my reasoning. Also theres alot of Jewish things that their Rabbi's fabricated like 'ewting Kosher'. You wouldnt believe what the bible says about that - dont boil a kid in his mothers milk. Thats all it says. This whole nonsense of Kosher was man made.

Oh btw i did buy chicken bacon and am AMAZED at how good it is. It yields much more bacon and you can taste it through the sandwich. I have no clue how they got it to taste so close.

I only bring up the bacon because Im trying to convey that it put the fear of God in me.

This weekend after doing watching near death experience videos.. Wow.. It scared me. Seeing an agnostic surgen telling the freaky things he's seen. Reliable sources of people and their accounts. Some people went down to hell. Those that did completely changed their lives around.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »

I found the truth to be that the command was directly from God and valid until this day without excuse. I checked  about a dozen translations of the above story and picked it apart.

What happened is, Peter was part of a Sect of Jews who didnt believe...

Utter nonsense, from the Orthodox standpoint. Please, speak to your priest about these matters.

You been talking to Ralph Ellis? Because your posts are sounding a lot like his.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »

This whole nonsense of Kosher was man made.
Kashrut is man-made, and yet you follow kashrut?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »

I only bring up the bacon because Im trying to convey that it put the fear of God in me.

Cackles has become the most consistent .sig worthy material generating poster around here.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »

Peter was part of a Sect of Jews who didnt believe...
So St. Peter was not a Christian?

Silly Stars
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »

Cackles has become the most consistent .sig worthy material generating poster around here.

It is amazing what a BLT can do to a person  Grin

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 08:43:30 PM »

Utter nonsense, from the Orthodox standpoint. Please, speak to your priest about these matters.

You been talking to Ralph Ellis? Because your posts are sounding a lot like his.

Do the Orthodox Monks and the Pope eat Pork?

Eating certain foods is elective to the induvidual and doesnt make him a better or worse Christian according to Paul speaking specifically about dietary issues, although, the context was vegetarianism.

It should also be noted that im against vegetarians and vegans. I'm part of the Right/libertarian and dont like people that take issue to food. I thought it was silly. I also used pork to make my pasta alredo which i can no longer make.

Actually, I ordered a pizza last night and had to get meatballs instead of bacon or pepperoni. I then had to act like a Muslim and go check to see if the pork is in the meatballs which it wasnt thank goodness. Like i cant believe i became one of those people.

I only do this because i have the fear of God in me now after the shroud research. That is what prompted me to go all in.

People like the Tollhouse discussion because they know theres something real there. While a system of purgatory doesnt have legs, the knowledge around the tollhouses is valid and go way back to secret knowlege. It also co-insides with the near death experiences.

You see, You need to look at heaven like a house. A kingdom. Its private and for friends only. When you go to hell (everyone reports a constant screeming), its that the demons took you as you were left vacant. Its supposedly very crowded down there. Every person you look at, you can tell their whole life story. People are a couple feet away from each other. Heaven and hell is very telepathic and quick when you communicate. So you look at your neighbour and can read their whole story why they're there. Supposedly the demons can fight over you on the way down. Some say it's a long walk down.

You arent getting thrown to hell because God or Jesus hates you, it's happening because you arent welcome in the house of heaven. Why? Because he DOESNT KNOW YOU. Your a stranger to him. Dont you see? As Jesus said, he has to know you.

So it's possible to 'play Christian', yet God doesnt know you. Let me give you an example (that is not aimed towards Orthodox):

If you worshop Jesus as your savior, are you worshopping Jesus, or worshopping your own ego's created person called Jesus. If the latter, then you're worshopping yourself.

Jesus is God (meaning, a facsimily of how God would act if he was a human. Remember Jesus also had Free Will and was also tempted by Satan on occasions). When you worship God, you need to take Jesus, Gods son, as an example to help you follow the law. Yes the law. Now here's the thing though: Its extremely important to understand layperson vs Father. Your priest has another set of rules and a whole different mission in life. Like Jews, he's under headship to God and covers his head. As laypeople, we dont cover our head to represent Free Will and how God Created us. This is in 1 Corinthians 11 btw.  However, our Father at rhe church actually stands BESIDE Jesus in their 'function' -  not under him. He has a 'license to practice' so to speak. Remember the whole keys have been handed over stuff? Jesus laid hands on his disciples, his disciples laid hands on their successors, etc. your Father at the Church was touched by the very hands of Jesus. I wonder of they know this or not. They are given 'license' to practice with Jesus approval. Almost to practice on his behalf. Remember, go to all nations and make disciples (priests).

This is why the Catholic Church warned over and over that there's no grace outside of Catholisism. And believe me that wasnt aimed towards orthodox as their exception is written mainly for us (lets be honest). The Catholics had the hoopla to actually say what they knew.

You see, the ROLE of your Orthodox ir Catholic father is to help you go to heaven. To help you walk with God your whole life and be righteous upon him. God has to know you for him to allow you in. Jesus is a human example, but was his example for laypeople, or the priests. That is the big question. IMO his example is obviously for everyone, but much more geared towards Rabbi's (priests, fathers etc) - not the laypersons because these are tremendously advanced topics. An example:

Jesus was caught working on the Sabbath when his desciples were picking from the fields. However, Jesus was correct in doing this. Why? Because if you are gathering food or items for personal consumptions, it not considered working. Only 'tilling the fields' is considered against the law. Same with the hand washing thing. Jesus knew the law very well. He was a high ranking Rabbi. So high he was allowed to interpret scripture. Paul was also very high ranking. These werent street prople or orphans. Mohammad was illiterate yeah right. Atleast their beginning to admit now that he wasnt and was likely an extreme scholar who compiled and wrote the Qur'an likely in Syria. But thats another topic.

Anyhow, the message by Jesus was to demonstrate to follow the REAL laws, not man made laws. This is why he came - to fulfill (practice) the letter of the law. When we do this, it becomes EASY to fulfill. Real Rabbi's have gone over these stories and concluded that Jesus was in the right. It's not something i just made up. Also appreciate that the bible you have now was never meant or expected to ever be in public hands. These scrolls were for special eyes only.

The point Im getting at, as with all this in context, if you take the afterlife and spirit world as true, you cant help but to fear God. When you understand what Free Will means, it means you have the God given ability to seek and follow Gods rules. The priests are under a different set of rules though. But our heads arent covered. Only you can decide to know God. Your priest is there to help show you the right way (remember again the scrolls were not read by laypeople, things were extremely verbal back then. This is how corruption of the law came about). Your Father is there to be your Father. we are Children in this life. We need our parents to show us guidence and feed us and look after us as we try to walk with God as laypeople. Its very, very hard to do this alone (although can be done).

If you dont fear God, then do you know him? I mean.. Sure you can help with charity, hold fundraisers, and do many things that you think are righteous, but ask yourself - who are you pleasing? Your own self, or God?

Always remember, Cain brought God his best offerings, worked more than his siblings, and yet it was never good enough for God. It was refused. How could this be? Cain was working for God after all and doing more than everyone else. He was giving the best offerings. So how come they got rejected?

Easy. Cain was seeing things as a competition and feeding his own ego. He didnt know God. He didnt understand the sacrifice or why it was important. He was essentially doing works without faith. God didnt know him, thus, didnt accept his offerings. What does cain do? Instead of speaking to God, he attacks his competition. He keeps everything in the meterial world.

Just like the Pork thing might sound silly considering all mans logic that went into it, I want God to know me. I want him to personally know i care. I do believe that he is all knowing, or atleast has angels all around us that are that are always watching.

God says to remember him on the seventh day, keep it holy, and dont work. How do you remember him? Go to Church. How else can you keep the day Holy? Its just common sense. Dont work on the Sabbath? We all get 2 days off a week. Do you think God cares about the actual day if its Saturday or Sunday or whether or not its named ofter pagans? I do think there should be a complete shutdown on Sunday though. Like old days.

I personally believe Jesus did not die so we no longer have to do good deeds or to throw out the law. Many, many, many schollars agree with this. Even Jewish schollars say this as well as muslims, they think that Jesus dying so we can do what we want is rediculous. So again it's not something I made up. ONLY Orthodox realizes the true spirit of Jesus and the roll of the Church and us as laypeople through our walk in life. This is why I say people are lucky to be Orthodox.

The good news is that being in complience with the law is easy. The Pork thing is your free choice. Paul addresses this and essentially says that its a personal thing that only God will judge and that it doesnt make you a better or worse Christian (again revert back to cain and abel). So you can eat 2 slices of bread and fast daily, but God needs to first know you.

I take such issue to Darwinism because it's that burrier that Satan places infront of you to make you not fully beleive in God or the Bible. The school system promotes this alternate religion to the masses on our tax dollar expense. If Genesis isnt true, then the next chapter isnt. Then everyone is a skeptic and begins making their own rules using their own human rationality. Human rationality is what Jesus came to fix. Human rationality claimed Cain. So when you have those inclings of doubt on the bible itself, the. You become like Morph Ephem and dont care to bother researching because your own intillect is more important.

When the law is in context and scaled to modern times, its easy to follow. Real easy. But when there is a direct commandment from God himself saying dont eat pork. Period. Point blank. Then as Paul says its a matter of personal concious to tell me what's right or wrong. This is Free Will to obey or not. So after the Shroud of Turin reseach, and the Jinn, etc iI feared God. As soon as i heard that it was an actual commandment from God himself (not human rationism or something not applicable), my concious got the better of me and I lost the will almost instantly to eat it.

Do you guys want my smokers? Buy the 'pork belly' cut from the Asian grocers. It can be super cheap. Rub the pork belly in syrup, brown sugar, and tenderquick/pink salt (sodium nitrates). Cold smoke the bacon at the lowest temp setting with with an electric smoker. If you buy one make sure it has temp control. It tastes AMAZING trust me. Cut it up and make pasta alfredo with mushrooms. Use it on pizza. What a joy in life.

But Instantly I gave it all up because I want God to know me. I fear him to the nth degree. He's jelous and doesnt like idols before him (Darwin). He's loving for his creation and wants whats best for us, which is to obey Him. But God knows he has given us all Free Will. His Son has spread his Word to all nations. All humans have Free Will take it or leave it. You have the Free Will to fins and study the shroud evidence. He puts it put there so you can know him. But God cant make things so easy that it will break your Free Will. Then theres no point if life. You have to seek and find truth in God yourself. The proof is in his creation. Thats where you find it. You Church is part of his creation (the Orthodox church). Your Church is not infallible either because we are human after all. But ultimately we are responsible as men (women have another set of rules).

My Free Will (hours of research) leads me to believe, that for myself personally, pork and shellfish are not to be eaten and against a direct commandment. Anything else on the matter is human rationalizing, which of course, colours the lense of how you read or interpret scripture. I just wanted to know the truth and it was really hard to find untainted sources. All you need to ask, do the high Orthodox bishops, monks, and Pope eat pork? So the Church rules leave it up to you to decide as Paul rightfully says. But this also goes for anything else in this world. Gos is watching and wants me to know him. I want to know him too. I dont want to be on the outside.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »

Can't speak for the Pope, but Orthodox monks and bishops don't eat meat of any kind. Fish, yes, and other types of seafood including shellfish, yes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:47:09 PM by LBK » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »

My Free Will (hours of research) leads me to believe, that for myself personally, pork and shellfish are not to be eaten and against a direct commandment.

See my previous post. So you're saying Orthodox bishops and monks who eat shellfish are breaking a "direct commandment"? or that married Orthodox priests who eat pork (I've yet to meet one that doesn't) are breaking a "direct commandment"?

Wow, that's some presumption, brother. You really, really need to talk to your priest about these ideas of yours.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »

I take such issue to Darwinism because it's that burrier that Satan places infront of you to make you not fully beleive in God or the Bible. The school system promotes this alternate religion to the masses on our tax dollar expense. If Genesis isnt true, then the next chapter isnt. Then everyone is a skeptic and begins making their own rules using their own human rationality. Human rationality is what Jesus came to fix. Human rationality claimed Cain. So when you have those inclings of doubt on the bible itself, the. You become like Morph Ephem and dont care to bother researching because your own intillect is more important.

Kiss

DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »

Kiss

ooh...There is your new middle name....Ph

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 09:26:55 PM »

laugh laugh laugh
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:27:21 PM by LBK » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »

You seem to know the answer to this question. Why don't you tell us?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »

You become like Morph Ephem and dont care to bother researching because your own intillect is more important.

Kiss

Actually, I like my "last name": Ephem (pronounced "eff'em").

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »

I spent hours debating those passages and going over all the evidence (while i had 2 McDonalds sausage and egg McMuffins in the fridge). I checked what our church said, the catholics, the evangelicals, and of course the Rabbi's.
Rabbis are not Christian, so why do you listen to them as if they can reveal to you truths neither Christ nor His Church ever deemed fit to teach us? Do remember that Jesus Christ is the only rabbi we listen to around here.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »

You become like Morph Ephem and dont care to bother researching because your own intillect is more important.

Kiss

.... and I have a feeling you're not talking about radio transmission .....  Wink
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »

Kiss

.... and I have a feeling you're not talking about radio transmission .....  Wink
Let's not go there. Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:34:18 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2014, 09:34:36 PM »

Kiss

Radio Free Mor
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »

Can't speak for the Pope, but Orthodox monks and bishops don't eat meat of any kind. Fish, yes, and other types of seafood including shellfish, yes.

I have been at large receptions where Orthodox bishops ate prime rib or steaks along with everyone there.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: