OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:44:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Land Gregorian Calendar Churches  (Read 840 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 25, 2005, 12:47:23 PM »

What Churches celebrate Pascha/Easter acording to the Gregorian calendar in the Mid-East and Holy Land?  Before I left for work, my TV showed me people in the Holy Land - a lot more (pilgrims) in years past because of less violence in Israel.  I would think that the vast majority would be on the OC.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 04:41:05 PM »

:bang:

Well, bump actually.

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 05:13:49 PM »

Well, Anglicans for one, and presumably the local Roman-rite churches.....
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 05:35:59 PM »

And Eastern Catholics, naturally, though in Jordan and Egypt, and parts (or the whole) of Palestine I understand, they follow the Orthodox reckoning in this regard. The Latin Church, if I remember correctly, and to the surprise of many, follows the Eastern calendar in certain areas of Palestine (Nazareth for example), though it follows the Western in Jerusalem. The Melchites, and I claim ignorance in this matter, celebrate Orthodox Easter either in all of Palestine, or only in certain areas of the country. In Jordan and Egypt, that same date is observed, while in primary Antiochian territories (Syria and Lebanon), this was hoped to become a reality with the patriarch's announcement in the presence of the pope of a common Easter but was later aborted.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 05:36:18 PM by SamB » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 06:59:57 PM »

So, when the faithful (used loosely in this sense) celebrate Holy Week/Paschal services in the Holy Land, is the greater number doing it on the Gregorian or Julian date?  I'm just trying to get a feel for the accuracy of when you see lots of people on TV celebrating services in the Holy Land and/or Jerusalem of where the masses are?  Intuitively, it would seem like the western portrayal of pilgrims in the Holy Land right now are there a month too early.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: