OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:41:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First married man ordained priest for U.S. Maronite Catholic Church  (Read 465 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 28, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »

ST. LOUIS Fr. Wissam Akiki is the first married man to be ordained a priest for the U.S. Maronite Catholic Church.

On Feb. 27, with permission granted by Pope Francis, Bishop A. Elias Zaidan of the U.S. Maronite Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon ordained the married deacon at St. Raymond's Maronite Cathedral in St. Louis.
These Eastern churches have an ancient tradition of allowing married men to become priests, although since the 1920s the practice generally has not been permitted in the United States, according to a press release from St. Raymond's Cathedral.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »

with permission granted by Pope Francis

So every single time they ordain married men they need a permission from the pope?

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »

We have a married priest at my parish. I'm not sure if this went through Rome or not. He tried to not publicize his ordination.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »

So every single time they ordain married men they need a permission from the pope?
For Eastern Catholics in the U.S., I think so.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »

We have a married priest at my parish. I'm not sure if this went through Rome or not. He tried to not publicize his ordination.

Has he retired his priesthood?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:49:09 PM »

ST. LOUIS Fr. Wissam Akiki is the first married man to be ordained a priest for the U.S. Maronite Catholic Church.

On Feb. 27, with permission granted by Pope Francis, Bishop A. Elias Zaidan of the U.S. Maronite Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon ordained the married deacon at St. Raymond's Maronite Cathedral in St. Louis.
These Eastern churches have an ancient tradition of allowing married men to become priests, although since the 1920s the practice generally has not been permitted in the United States, according to a press release from St. Raymond's Cathedral.

I can't believe it's taken this long for U.S. Maronites to finally start being allowed to ordain married priests - although only with case-by-case permission from the Pope, of course. This sort of thing shows that Eastern Churches are ultimately subjects of the Latin Church (for their autonomy and historical traditions are overridden over possible, and unjust, scandal in the Latin Church), as well as the utter futility of RC-EO dialogues.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »

Unless they go around the pope. A friend of mine from university was Melkite and his dad was ordained a priest in Haifa because the pope (Benedict XVI) wouldn't allow the ordination to be done in the US.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 04:50:08 PM »

Good to hear.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »

The Eastern Catholics should NOT need case by case approval from Rome if they truly are sister Churches to the Church of Rome as Rome claims. Are their Bishops not Bishops in the sense of eastern teaching? They claim to be, yet they (some) don't act that way. Such is a very big deal , a very clear signal, to us Orthodox. Anyway, best wishes to the new priest. Axios!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »

Unless they go around the pope. A friend of mine from university was Melkite and his dad was ordained a priest in Haifa because the pope (Benedict XVI) wouldn't allow the ordination to be done in the US.

In Christ,
Andrew

IMO that is ridiculous. If they are defying the pope why not to do it out loud and publically?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

IMO that is ridiculous. If they are defying the pope why not to do it out loud and publically?
That's a rather Protestant way of defying the Pope. Cool

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I suppose in secretly defying Rome they're at least asserting their autonomy, but their situation is such that openly defying Rome would hurt said autonomy among other things.
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 03:02:24 AM »

The Personal Ordinariates for former Anglicans have ordained more married men to the priesthood than any Eastern Catholic Churches ever have in their entire history in the new world.

Yes, the Eastern Catholic Churches continue to be held hostage to the "indian reservation" mentality.

I am not so certain that either "Western rite" orthodoxy or "Eastern rite" catholicism can ever overcome the prejudiced desires of the majority rites in either of their Churches and ever be seen on equal terms with the majority rite

. We are in a fallen world with fallen people, where nationalism and pride in ones rite is all encompasing. I've seen it on both sides, there is little to be done about it, except continue to try to educate people in church history...

I even remember meeting seminarians at that Our Lady of Lebanon Seminary in Washington, DC when I visited their church. Back in my naive days I mentioned to them "I hear you easterners have wives" and they were embarrassed to admit they did not in the US. I guess that was the beginning of my disillusionment with Eastern Catholicism. Before 1960 many Eastern Catholics would not even had their sacraments be recognized by latin priests and would have to receive their first communion, confession, confirmation all over again (I dont recall if they extended it to baptism too.) If you are a parent who has 6 children that is an annoying difficult thing to be told.  This is one of the reasons why Eastern Catholics who moved to parts of the country where they knew they would be forced to attend Western Latin Churches often gave up and became regular Roman Catholics on paper.  Now that may be a worst case scenario, in some instances they were treated better, but this commonly happened in the earlier part of the century with more ignorant or bigoted latin rite priests and bishops. The bigotry was so strong back than, so that is why even today in the seemingly excessively liberalized world of "ecumenical dialogue" the legacy of the indian reservation mentality lingers on and dies hard.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:12:38 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
The Fool

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 05:07:53 PM »

(I dont recall if they extended it to baptism too.)

I am given to understand that any baptism done in the name of the trinity, even by Protestants who don't believe baptism is anything other than an empty sign, has always been considered a valid baptism by Rome.

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
ErmyCath

Faith: Roman Catholic (inquiring with GOA)
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Mobile

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »

(I dont recall if they extended it to baptism too.)

I am given to understand that any baptism done in the name of the trinity, even by Protestants who don't believe baptism is anything other than an empty sign, has always been considered a valid baptism by Rome.

Anecdotally, I think formerly most converts were conditionally baptized.

Edit - Unless they were clearly never baptized before, of course.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:51:04 PM by ErmyCath » Logged

"You must have an opinion on everything and loudly confront everyone with it." - Cyrillic
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »

The Personal Ordinariates for former Anglicans have ordained more married men to the priesthood than any Eastern Catholic Churches ever have in their entire history in the new world.

A part of me thinks that the number of ex-Anglican Catholic priests should be even higher than it is. Certainly there were indications at one point that the entire ACA was going to "come home to their mother church" (to borrow a phrase from EC-to-EO conversions), and even hints they that would be merely the tip of the zoidberg.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: