OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:33:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get free Orthodox goodies  (Read 2752 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: March 25, 2005, 03:10:01 AM »

I know this might sound silly, but I'm wondering if there is a site where I can get free Orthodox goodies, especially Orthodox cross necklaces and small prayer ropes. 

Most Orthodox crosses seem to be very expensive.  I'm just looking for a plastic Orthodox cross, or one that isn't too elaborate.  Free if possible, but I'd be willing to pay less than five dollars for one, too.  Also, a free prayer rope would be cool, but not completely necessary, since I just use my rosary to say the Jesus prayer right now. 

Thanks for any help you can give me!  Cheesy
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 04:08:34 AM »

Try Festal Creations.  Their stuff is not free, but it is inexpensive and the quality is pretty good.

http://www.festalcreations.com/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:36:34 AM by Salpy » Logged

choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 09:46:08 AM »

Your local church's bookstore would be a good place to look. Small non-precious metal neck crosses should be less than $10. A wrist-prayer rope should only be a few dollars as well.

Qui cantat, bis orat
mathetes

Faith: Believer
Jurisdiction: MJAA

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 02:38:44 AM »

Your local church's bookstore would be a good place to look. Small non-precious metal neck crosses should be less than $10. A wrist-prayer rope should only be a few dollars as well.

As an inquirer, may I ask what a wrist-prayer rope is?  Is it similar to a Rosary, and are certain prayers to be prayed with it?

Thanks.

"Iron sharpens iron, and a man sharpens the countenance of his friend" (Proverbs 27:17 OSB).

"The future isn't what it used to be" (Yogi Berra).
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 04:21:38 AM »

A prayer rope is called a chotki. It is traditionally used among Orthodox monastics in their personal prayer rules. It consists of a series of knots. The monastic uses it to keep track of repetitions of the Jesus Prayer* by feeling the knots. They typically come in sizes of 33 knots, 100 knots, etc. A wrist-sized chotki will have 33 knots, after the years our Lord was on Earth. Lay people, with the supervision of their spirtitual directors, have also occasionally used a chotki in their personal prayer lives as well. It is somewhat similar to a Rosary, except that there is to be NO imagination of events when concentrating on prayer.

This site has an article that tells just about all you could want to know:

http://www.st-george-church.org/English/Prayer_Rope.htm

This site has a picture:

http://www.oramaworld.com/product_info.php/products_id/70024/p/Prayer_Rope_50_knots.html

*Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy upon me, a sinner.

Qui cantat, bis orat
mathetes

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 11:15:30 PM »

Choirfriend,

Thanks for the helpful links.  I'd like a wrist-prayer band, but the one advertised is made of wool, which I'm allergic to.  Do you know if it's permissable for prayer bands to be made of other kinds of fabric?

Thanks,
Mathetes

"Iron sharpens iron, and a man sharpens the countenance of his friend" (Proverbs 27:17 OSB).

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 04:40:26 AM »

Mathetes,

I don't know about in other churches, but you often find that Romanian Orthodox prayer ropes (the shorter ones anyway) are actually made of strings of wooden beads rather than knotted wool. I have a short (33 bead) one like this as well as a woolen 100 knot rope. I've also seen, I believe, prayer ropes made from some synthetic material for sale on an internet site somehwere, but they did look rather garish. Some Orthodox might perhaps not be in favcour of the beaded prayer ropes because they look a little like rosaries, but it doesn't bother me - if it's good enough for the monks and nuns who made them it's good enough for me. I'll see if I can find you any links on non-woolen prayer ropes. Failing that I can always get you a wooden beaded one from Putna monastery in Romania via one of my relatives. It might take some time though.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 04:45:41 AM »

Mathetes,

I just turned up this link for a site selling wooden beaded prayer ropes:

http://www.holywisdom.net/chotkis.html

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 05:15:58 AM »

Synthetic materials are super common. You should have no trouble finding one if you are looking for it at Orthodox sources. Beads are possible too, but not as common.

Qui cantat, bis orat
mathetes

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 10:09:51 PM »

Brother James,

Thanks for this lead:

http://www.holywisdom.net/chotkis.html

I'm sorry to have been away the last few days.  Sometimes my job drastically limits my PC time.

In Christ,
Mathetes

jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 03:37:47 AM »

Mathetes,

You're welcome. I'm just glad I didn't have to go to my relatives in Bucovina to find one - they'd probably have thought I'd gone mad. They already sometimes think of me as a little over-devout, in that every time I visit I go to as many monasteries as I can even though I've been to them many times before, I buy icons and prayer ropes and candelas (I think they're vigil oil lamps in English?) etc. It could just be because I'm a convert and we tend to be a over-zealous on occasion, but I truly feel I owe the Romanian Church, and especially her monasteries, a very great debt. She lead me to Christ when I was floundering in the wilderness. If I ever can be of further help, let me know.

James

Matthaios
-----------------------------------

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 01:52:05 PM »

Pictures of prayer ropes silk and wool
can also be found at ReligiousMall

http://www.religiousmall.com/prs_praying_ropes.html

Tags: bookstore chotki prayer rope 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: