OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:28:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenten Church Practices  (Read 1326 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: March 24, 2005, 03:02:16 AM »

This is my first Orthodox lent and I'm pretty confused about what I'm supposed to do at all the services.  Last week at the reading of the Canon of St. Andrew, everyone venerated the central icon (I'm sure there's a name for this that I don't know) with three prostrations.  I'm trying to fit what I see in church with what's in "How to Worship in Church" section of my Jordanville Prayer Book.  The Prayer Book says to make 3 prostrations when entering and leaving the church.  So I thought I'd figured it out but apparently not because everyone at Presanctified tonight venerated the icon with little bows.  I was a little early and did the prostrations and then felt really silly when I realized no one else did them. 

What's the right thing to do? 

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:42:56 AM »

Yeah; I want to know to...and I've been Orthodox forever.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 08:25:25 AM »

Uhhhh......It doesn't matter Smiley  Do what feels comfortable and don't worry if other people do something else.

I will tell you that it has always been the normal experience for me during Holy Week when venerating the Tomb to make 2 prostrations, venerate the icon 3x, then get out of the way of the next person and prostrate again. I would guess it's similar just about everywhere, but it's not prescribed.

Qui cantat, bis orat
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:47:32 PM »

The right practice is what the practice is at the parish in which you are at. Don't bring your typikon into someone elses home.

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 07:50:35 PM »

Let's take it with a grain of salt here.  I mean, lets hope people are respectful at the parish and all - don't copy them if they're talking loudly, etc. 

In the end, it doesn't matter if you're scandalizing them or if they're scandalizing you.  Do what you've been taught, and if they don't like it, don't pay attention to them.  Just don't degrade their practice either - there may be as much validity to it as yours.  In an ideal situation, a person can go into a parish and prostrate or not prostrate without fear of reproach or whatever.

If the people are going to be totally put off by what you do, then do it in a corner where no one can see you.  (You know, the whole "pray in secret, so that the Father who sees in secret...." - I know this is a bad paraphrase, but you get the point)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 08:05:24 PM »

Or, if I may add, one checks with the priest and he concurs with YOUR practise and not with what his parishioners do, despite his wishes...it happens.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 08:24:54 PM »

Yes, that can be a factor as well... Excellent point!

It's one of the challenges of the Priesthood, being able to guide people towards the right path without alienating them, without degrading, but instead through love, so they see your concern and follow your example...

Of course, this presupposes the Priest was not only trained well, but that he lives a life of prayer and fasting that allows him to continue to grow in the faith.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: