Poll

Should people given the death penalty be allowed to choose the manner of their death?

Yes, any way they want.
1 (1.9%)
Yes, but they must choose from a specific list of approved methods.
4 (7.7%)
No, if they deserve such a sentence they should lose the right to make such decisions.
6 (11.5%)
No...
10 (19.2%)
I can't answer this question as I don't think the death penalty should ever be done, ever, any time, any place, for any reason, ever never ever.
31 (59.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Are You Pro-Choice?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Are You Pro-Choice?
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
Not abortion. The death penalty.

This thread is not about whether there should be a death penalty, which could be discussed in another thread. Rather, I would like to know: if your state (or whichever governmental body is applicable) has a death penalty, and someone is given that sentence, should the person convicted be allowed to choose the manner of their death? Assuming the appeals process and such are completed of course.

Online WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
Re: Are You Pro-Choice?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »
It is just a thrust of some political media outlets like MSNBC or CNN. Abortion and gay rights are not actually an issue.

For example, do you have support for the revolution happening in Ukraine? ...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:25:06 PM by WPM »
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
...if your state (or whichever governmental body is applicable) has a death penalty, and someone is given that sentence, should the person convicted be allowed to choose the manner of their death?

I voted "No", but the one with the phrase I didn't bother to copy, not the "No...". 

Is the death penalty routinely meted out for anything other than some kind of murder?  If the victims couldn't choose how they died, I don't think s/he should be able to choose how they die.  I don't think the state should be allowed to choose any method it wants, however. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »
It is just a thrust of some political media outlets like MSNBC or CNN. Abortion and gay rights are not actually an issue.

For example, do you have support for the revolution happening in Ukraine? ...

Gay rights and Ukraine! 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »
I think it is O. K. from a list of approved methods, although I am beginning to question the death penalty. :-\

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
...if your state (or whichever governmental body is applicable) has a death penalty, and someone is given that sentence, should the person convicted be allowed to choose the manner of their death?

I voted "No", but the one with the phrase I didn't bother to copy, not the "No...".  

Is the death penalty routinely meted out for anything other than some kind of murder?  If the victims couldn't choose how they died, I don't think s/he should be able to choose how they die.  I don't think the state should be allowed to choose any method it wants, however.  

I suppose the inspiration for the thread is rooted in my abhorrence* of beheadings. I expect that there are no longer places in the west that use the guillotine (though other areas of the world seem to be still fond of beheadings...), but it is what I was thinking of primarily. Some consider it a preferable form of execution, but I consider it utterly barbaric and dehumanizing. Then my mind went into strange directions from there...

* And I mean that in the strongest sense possible. I do not mean for the word to be some sort of synonym for distasteful or another likewise moderate term.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:24:47 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
Should people issued life sentences be able to choose the death penalty?
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:41:53 PM »

Life sentences could perhaps be unconstitutional, so I would say yes. Though I'd say yes is imprisonment wasn't involved... so that doesn't really mean much I suppose.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:01:24 AM »

Of course.  Let them give back to the community they robbed.  Their death without a million appeals would let everyone put it behind them and move on.

I put yes, but from a selected list.  Hanging, guillotine, or gunshot to the back of the head.  For veterans I'd add firing squad.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:01:37 AM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 06:02:54 AM »
I suppose the inspiration for the thread is rooted in my abhorrence* of beheadings. I expect that there are no longer places in the west that use the guillotine (though other areas of the world seem to be still fond of beheadings...), but it is what I was thinking of primarily. Some consider it a preferable form of execution, but I consider it utterly barbaric and dehumanizing. Then my mind went into strange directions from there...

* And I mean that in the strongest sense possible. I do not mean for the word to be some sort of synonym for distasteful or another likewise moderate term.

The last guillotining in the West was in France in 1977. The only European country that has not abolished the death penalty yet is Belarus.

Quote from: Wikipedia
In 1996 in the US, Georgia State Representative Doug Teper unsuccessfully sponsored a bill to replace the state's electric chair with the guillotine.

How civilised... ::)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
In 1996 in the US, Georgia State Representative Doug Teper unsuccessfully sponsored a bill to replace the state's electric chair with the guillotine.

It would be even more awesome if the executions would take place on a public square and if the guy who's being executed had to wear a powdered wig and colonial-era clothes.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:08:11 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 06:18:47 AM »

It would be even more awesome if the executions would take place on a public square and if the guy who's being executed had to wear a powdered wig and colonial-era clothes.

And if the executioner, as soon as the blade dropped, had to shout 'Vive la Republique!'
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 06:22:58 AM »

And if the executioner, as soon as the blade dropped, had to shout 'Vive la Republique!'

Indeed. The state could make lots of money by selling tickets to such events. The profits could go to the families of the victims, the spectators would get a lovely show and justice would be served. So many problems would be solved.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:23:46 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Ουρουγουανός
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 08:15:46 AM »
On the one hand, I oppose the death penalty in nearly all, if not all, cases (one can hardly repent in the grave) but, at the same time, if you’re going to execute a man anyway, why not give him a list of pre-approved choices? Who would it hurt?
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 11:37:01 PM »
I think that, instead of the death penalty, all those sentenced to such should be placed in a barrel, and sent over Niagara Falls.

They live, they spend the rest of their lives in jail, they die, welp, they had a chance to live.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 12:37:10 AM »
I think you know my response to this.

Never ever!  Now and forever and to the ages of ages.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 01:26:07 AM »
In the case of particularly heinous crimes I am totally for the death penalty.
Thank you.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »
Ideas on how to do this

Play chess. your piece gets taken, you get killed
Have them play war games for the amusement of the general public
Human jenga

Offline Gkterra

• Formerly know as findingfaith
  • ακραία αμαρτωλός
  • Jurisdiction: Not of this Earth
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
Life and death are God's domain, not mans. killing someone, because they killed someone, falls under an eye for an eye imo, give em life in prison and allow them a chance to repent.
Do unto others, as You would have them do unto You.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »
Ideas on how to do this

Play chess. your piece gets taken, you get killed
Have them play war games for the amusement of the general public
Human jenga

Battle Royale, my friend...Battle Royale

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

http://youtu.be/Y-T7yPJVvXw
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »
No.
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 07:04:33 AM »
To be pro choice is to betray the essence of Christianity and embrace a cult of death.
Thank you.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 07:17:09 AM »
To be pro choice is to betray the essence of Christianity and embrace a cult of death.

Did you read the thread?

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 07:41:55 AM »

Did you read the thread?
hah, no i didn't. Serves me right.

In New Zealand we don't have the death penalty and I find some of the sentences given to alot of people here for horrendous crimes particularly light. I am in favour of the death penalty however only in certain circumstances, such as a crime that is particularly horrendous, a category which I do not think can be defined but something I think we all know when we see it. One thing I see in America at the moment with how the death penalty works there, is that it takes along time to actually enforce it and they are given so many chances to appeal. It seems to me unimaginable that the death penalty should be delayed in the case of Nidal Malik Hussain for what he did in fort hood and that could take years before it happens. The process should be long, but not needlessly long.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:50:29 AM by Nicene »
Thank you.