OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 02:26:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why are you not a byzantine catholic  (Read 3424 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

I can't buy that the Western Church, essentially the same, is not part of the true church.

Someone, I forget who, quotes St. John Maximovitch in their signature "Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern".

Right, his line for the then-new Western Rite Orthodox experiment. The difference is we acknowledge the Orthodox as the home of their own patrimony and having real bishops, etc.; they set up a small imitation church (what the Orthodox accuse the Greek Catholics of being) and pretend we don't exist or take potshots at us (graceless, complete frauds, etc.). By the way, ROCOR's Western Rite is so byzantinized, indeed russified, they might as well switch them like they obviously want to.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »

I can't buy that the Western Church, essentially the same, is not part of the true church.

Someone, I forget who, quotes St. John Maximovitch in their signature "Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern".

Right, his line for the then-new Western Rite Orthodox experiment. The difference is we acknowledge the Orthodox as the home of their own patrimony and having real bishops, etc.; they set up a small imitation church (what the Orthodox accuse the Greek Catholics of being) and pretend we don't exist or take potshots at us (graceless, complete frauds, etc.). By the way, ROCOR's Western Rite is so byzantinized, indeed russified, they might as well switch them like they obviously want to.

I'm pretty careful to avoid having either an overly-high or overly-low opinion of them. They are definitely Byzantinized -- and I find it troubling that the Orthodox, generally, seem to have extremely little regret over that fact -- but at the same time I firmly support e.g. http://westernorthodox.blogspot.com/2007/05/western-rite-is-not-reverse-uniatism.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:39:42 PM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »

Peter and Fogey know full well that there is a vast division within Orthodoxy regarding the issue of 'gracelessness' and the Roman Church. and you both know where I and others - more in the real world than those who post online - stand.

Rome regards us as 'schismatics.' Orthodox either regard Rome in the same manner, while some/many regard Rome as 'heretical.'

My maternal grandfather and my father were both formally 'excommunicated' in writing by the Congregation for the Eastern Churches. I doubt many others here can say the same, so I will not be accused of 'squishiness' by either Roman or Orthodox apologists.

In either case, neither regards the other in any way as 'complete.' Is that so hard to fathom?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:43:49 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2014, 01:17:27 PM »

Peter and Fogey know full well that there is a vast division within Orthodoxy regarding the issue of 'gracelessness' and the Roman Church. and you both know where I and others - more in the real world than those who post online - stand.

Rome regards us as 'schismatics.' Orthodox either regard Rome in the same manner, while some/many regard Rome as 'heretical.'

My maternal grandfather and my father were both formally 'excommunicated' in writing by the Congregation for the Eastern Churches. I doubt many others here can say the same, so I will not be accused of 'squishiness' by either Roman or Orthodox apologists.

In either case, neither regards the other in any way as 'complete.' Is that so hard to fathom?

For some people it is, in my experience.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2014, 03:16:42 AM »

The tangent on Ukrainian politics has been moved to Politics.

If you don't have access to the private Politics board and would like to follow the discussion, please send Fr. George a private message requesting access.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=58985.0
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:18:03 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2014, 06:17:50 AM »

Right. You and your jurisdiction mirror us regarding the other church. Because to deny us would be to deny yourselves.

Rome regards us as 'schismatics.' Orthodox either regard Rome in the same manner or some/many regard Rome as 'heretical.'

Correct with the addition that those born into schism aren't personally guilty of schism so at our nicest we don't call born Orthodox schismatics.

Cry. That was for disobedience; your side really had no objection to our teachings at the time. That was adopted later to rationalize the schism. It never should have happened; if only our local Roman Riters hadn't been boneheads about the real issue. As I said, we let our own people down, so I understand your side still being mad at the church. But like you said, the healing of memories.

No. But my point remains. It's not really about our teachings; it's about your culture, and while that culture is worth defending, the church has the authority to declare which rule on clerical marriage to follow in Western countries. That said, I agree the ruling for America was a mistake, as do byzcath.org and every Greek Catholic your brother works with. We're trying to more than meet you halfway; you've been honest about your jurisdiction's origins as long as I've known you so I think you can meet us halfway (and I don't believe in a squishy branch theory either).

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2014, 06:35:14 AM »

I only met a Melkite (well, actually an RC that was going to change rites) once that came to my parish and stayed for coffee hour.  He was all about being "orthodox in communion with Rome" and telling the few of us that were there, including our Deacon, that there was no difference and we should all have communion together.  I'm sure he's not wholly representative of all Melkites and other eastern Catholics, but I wasn't going to bother to test the waters.

There's a true sense and untrue one to his position. We believe there's really no difference: you are estranged Catholics, so come back. He's wrong if like the few "Orthodox in Communion with Rome"* online (they do seem a nearlly wholly convert - Roman Riter changing rites - and online phenomenon) he's saying intercommunion as things are (you don't have to come back) makes sense. There are exceptions, which in a way bear witness to our teaching that our sacraments have grace so sacramentally we're still the same church. In Syria the Melkites and Orthodox are in intercommunion, the only division being the clergy don't concelebrate.

The Slavic born Byzantine Catholics I knew 20 years ago wanted nothing to do with the Orthodox, because of the schisms in America and the Communists in the old country. Understandable but not quite right either.

I think that misunderstanding right after Vatican II made lots of people then think all the "high" churches - Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran - would get back together soon.

*Not to be confused with the kind of Byzantine Catholic who tries to do what Rome says and so is liturgically just like the Orthodox and expresses Catholic theology in Byzantine terms.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »

Right. You and your jurisdiction mirror us regarding the other church. Because to deny us would be to deny yourselves.

Rome regards us as 'schismatics.' Orthodox either regard Rome in the same manner or some/many regard Rome as 'heretical.'

Correct with the addition that those born into schism aren't personally guilty of schism so at our nicest we don't call born Orthodox schismatics.

Cry. That was for disobedience; your side really had no objection to our teachings at the time. That was adopted later to rationalize the schism. It never should have happened; if only our local Roman Riters hadn't been boneheads about the real issue. As I said, we let our own people down, so I understand your side still being mad at the church. But like you said, the healing of memories.

No. But my point remains. It's not really about our teachings; it's about your culture, and while that culture is worth defending, the church has the authority to declare which rule on clerical marriage to follow in Western countries. That said, I agree the ruling for America was a mistake, as do byzcath.org and every Greek Catholic your brother works with. We're trying to more than meet you halfway; you've been honest about your jurisdiction's origins as long as I've known you so I think you can meet us halfway (and I don't believe in a squishy branch theory either).

I won't repost it here, but I think what I said on another thread, about a certain Catholic territory-argument that Orthodox don't necessarily buy, is closely related to the highlighted portion.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:28:23 AM by Peter J » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »

I only met a Melkite (well, actually an RC that was going to change rites) once that came to my parish and stayed for coffee hour.  He was all about being "orthodox in communion with Rome" and telling the few of us that were there, including our Deacon, that there was no difference and we should all have communion together.  I'm sure he's not wholly representative of all Melkites and other eastern Catholics, but I wasn't going to bother to test the waters.

There's a true sense and untrue one to his position. We believe there's really no difference: you are estranged Catholics, so come back.
And you are wrong in these beliefs. Hence the big difference.

He's wrong if like the few "Orthodox in Communion with Rome"* online (they do seem a nearlly wholly convert - Roman Riter changing rites - and online phenomenon) he's saying intercommunion as things are (you don't have to come back) makes sense. There are exceptions, which in a way bear witness to our teaching that our sacraments have grace so sacramentally we're still the same church. In Syria the Melkites and Orthodox are in intercommunion, the only division being the clergy don't concelebrate.
That is predicated on the Levantines doubts about the Melkites communion with the Vatican-doubts that we don't have, for instance, about the Maronites.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »

Peter, do you mean that the Orthodox say no jurisdiction or bishop can change the universal Orthodox custom on clerical marriage, even though it's not doctrine? I like that approach to customs; celibacy's not a hill I'd die on as I like to say. But we hold the church can make those rules.

ialmisry, of course I know that's what Orthodoxy believes, so it's tactless or ignorant for one of us to breeze into one of your churches and say let's have intercommunion right now. That said, a perennial story in online Catholic/Orthodox fora is for a Catholic to come bounding in like a playful puppy, writing how much he loves Orthodox liturgy, theology, icons, etc., and how much we have in common, only to have the resident Orthodox kick him in the teeth ("Graceless heretic!" etc.). Granted, Catholics are allowed to believe that non-Catholics are going to hell (thank God we don't have to, and after all, we're allowed to venerate your post-schism saints, so there you go), but the difference is striking. Your churchmen hate the Catholic Church. We don't hate the Orthodox churches.

Loving "Byzantium" is Catholic. (Granted, a lot of us haven't lived up to that, but it's our teaching.) The church includes Byzantium.

The Orthodox seem rather to worship Byzantium. The church IS Byzantium; everything else is an unknown: could be schismatic, could be graceless heretics, etc. Like I said, the culture's great, but don't make an idol of it.

The Melkites have been around since the 1700s; I imagine everybody in Syria knows the Melkites are Catholics. Syrian Byzantine Christian families identify as Melkite or Orthodox.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:38:41 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2014, 12:50:38 PM »

Your churchmen hate the Catholic Church. We don't hate the Orthodox churches.

That's ridiculous. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »

That's ridiculous. 

I have to agree with you, Mor.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2014, 01:32:16 PM »

Peter, do you mean that the Orthodox say no jurisdiction or bishop can change the universal Orthodox custom on clerical marriage, even though it's not doctrine? I like that approach to customs; celibacy's not a hill I'd die on as I like to say. But we hold the church can make those rules.

No. (At least that isn't what I was referring to. I'll let Orthodox say whether they believe that or not.)

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,58824.msg1139074.html#msg1139074

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »

That's ridiculous. 

Agreed...and if you (Fogey, not Mor)  posted that over on ByzCath you would get in trouble with their mods!
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »

Gotcha, Peter. It's just a rule, so having two rules isn't a big deal to the church. Of course, if you're in love and you might have a vocation, it is a huge deal!

ByzCath is rather like the aspiring Melkite in hecma925's story and is very "OicwR" ("Orthodox in Communion with Rome"*, too cool in one's mind for either church: Catholic but thumbing one's nose at Rome/snotty view of conservative Catholics, and agreeing with the Orthodox on nearly everything except the one-true-church claim so one doesn't join). Take what you read there with two grains of salt.

*Of course Greek Catholics who are восточный (Eastern-minded) and DO follow the magisterium are, in my view, "Orthodox in communion with Rome" in a true sense, but you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:06:30 PM by The young fogey » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »

ialmisry, of course I know that's what Orthodoxy believes, so it's tactless or ignorant for one of us to breeze into one of your churches and say let's have intercommunion right now. That said, a perennial story in online Catholic/Orthodox fora is for a Catholic to come bounding in like a playful puppy, writing how much he loves Orthodox liturgy, theology, icons, etc., and how much we have in common, only to have the resident Orthodox kick him in the teeth ("Graceless heretic!" etc.). Granted, Catholics are allowed to believe that non-Catholics are going to hell (thank God we don't have to, and after all, we're allowed to venerate your post-schism saints, so there you go), but the difference is striking. Your churchmen hate the Catholic Church. We don't hate the Orthodox churches.

Loving "Byzantium" is Catholic. (Granted, a lot of us haven't lived up to that, but it's our teaching.) The church includes Byzantium.

The Orthodox seem rather to worship Byzantium. The church IS Byzantium; everything else is an unknown: could be schismatic, could be graceless heretics, etc. Like I said, the culture's great, but don't make an idol of it.

The Melkites have been around since the 1700s; I imagine everybody in Syria knows the Melkites are Catholics. Syrian Byzantine Christian families identify as Melkite or Orthodox.
not really-for one thing, Antioch wouldn't mind a pox on the houses of both Romes.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »

Never heard that before about Antioch. So even though they're now Byzantine Rite (they weren't to begin with?), they're like the Copts in that they don't like Rome OR the Greeks? So maybe they've long been friendly with the Melkites to spite Constantinople ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend"), rather like the Kyiv Patriarchate cozying up to the Ukrainian Catholics to take a swipe at Moscow?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »

Gotcha, Peter. It's just a rule, so having two rules isn't a big deal to the church. Of course, if you're in love and you might have a vocation, it is a huge deal!

ByzCath is rather like the aspiring Melkite in hecma925's story and is very "OicwR" ("Orthodox in Communion with Rome"*, too cool in one's mind for either church: Catholic but thumbing one's nose at Rome/snotty view of conservative Catholics, and agreeing with the Orthodox on nearly everything except the one-true-church claim so one doesn't join). Take what you read there with two grains of salt.

*Of course Greek Catholics who are восточный (Eastern-minded) and DO follow the magisterium are, in my view, "Orthodox in communion with Rome" in a true sense, but you know what I mean.

Yes, I know what you mean, but the phrase "Orthodox in Communion with Rome" is a suspicious one in any case. ( I admit to using it at times, but even then I compromise by putting it in quotation marks to make it clear that I'm not actually claiming to be Orthodox.) However fine and dandy it may have originally been, nowadays -- at least on the Internet -- it seems to be most commonly used to silence or undermine the "Orthodox not in communion with Rome".

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »

It's come to mean someone who's really neither Catholic nor Orthodox but is a church unto himself with Byzantine trappings.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2014, 05:44:15 PM »

That's ridiculous.  

+1

And if the Roman Catholic Church had such a higher view of the Orthodox Churches than the reverse, it wouldn't demonstrate it by corralling its Eastern Catholic brethren into reservations under its Congregation of Indian Affairs Oriental Churches.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:50:54 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »

It's come to mean someone who's really neither Catholic nor Orthodox but is a church unto himself with Byzantine trappings.

I can -- perhaps -- understand where you're coming from ...
People who describe themselves as "Orthodox in communion with Rome" often present themselves as neutral or in-between Orthodoxy and Catholicism. A natural response to that is "If you're in between, then you're neither Catholic nor Orthodox." but I think it's even more important to question the in-between-ness.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »

That's ridiculous.  

+1

And if the Roman Catholic Church had such a higher view of the Orthodox Churches than the reverse, it wouldn't demonstrate it by corralling its Eastern Catholic brethren into reservations under its Congregation of Indian Affairs Oriental Churches.

These are all conveniences for Rome's benefit.  When the Eastern Catholic Churches do something that annoys the Orthodox and the Orthodox complain through the proper channels, the Vatican can put on a pouty face and agree with the Orthodox that they shouldn't have done it and promise that they will give the appropriate people a stern talking to with the hope that things will improve, but with no guarantees since "they're an independent Church in communion with Rome".  When the Eastern Catholic Churches need to fall in line, Rome has no problem forgetting that "independent Church" stuff, flexing its muscles, extending its foot, and requiring a kiss of the slipper. 

That's just part of what makes Young Fogey's comment ridiculous.  It's not that the Orthodox bishops hate the Catholic Church but the Catholics don't hate the Orthodox Church.  The Catholics love whomever they want whenever they want, and they also hate whomever they want whenever they want, starting in their own home and with their own children.  And then they try to teach us about "love".  We know all too well about their "love". 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2014, 07:07:46 PM »

That's ridiculous.  

+1

Being Catholic doesn't mean you have to think the Greek Catholic churches are perfect. As podkarpatska can tell you, we've often fallen short in the treatment of our own people. That said, I wouldn't describe the Ukrainian Catholic Church in the far western Ukraine (most Byzantine Catholics) the Melkite Church in Syria, or, moving beyond Byzantium, the Chaldean Church in Iraq, the country's No. 1 church, bigger than the Nestorians they came from, as Indian reservations.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »

Being Catholic doesn't mean you have to think the Greek Catholic churches are perfect. As podkarpatska can tell you, we've often fallen short in the treatment of our own people. That said, I wouldn't describe the Ukrainian Catholic Church in the far western Ukraine (most Byzantine Catholics) the Melkite Church in Syria, or, moving beyond Byzantium, the Chaldean Church in Iraq, the country's No. 1 church, bigger than the Nestorians they came from, as Indian reservations.

When their own Synods can be vetoed at will by a Latin-dominated and Latin-run committee, then they're reservations even on their "own turf:"

I can't answer thoroughly, but here's an enlightening quote from Archbishop Zoghby's 1992 A Voice from the Byzantine East:

Though Vatican II was over years ago, we united Easterners find ourselves exactly where we were before the Council began. We are still governed by what is in effect a super-patriarchate called "the Congregation for the Eastern Churches." All through the conciliar texts we find ourselves being led back, by sly maneuvering and skillful plays on words, to that Eastern pseudo-canon law created and unjustly imposed upon us by that same Curial Congregation. And that very same Roman congregation continues to make itself the sole judge of many things in our Churches including the election of our bishops. Also, it denies our own Greek-Melkite Patriarch and his Synod complete jurisdiction over the emigrant faithful who today constitute the majority of the whole Melkite population. It merely superimposes its veto on any decision emanating from our patriarchal Synod and our will it renders null and void. In fact, nothing important can be decided by us without the agreement of this Curial Congregation!

[...] Wishing to honor the Eastern Catholic Patriarchs, the Romans have made them ex officio members of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches, dropping them into that body which has never had as much as one Eastern member. This is the Congregation that runs the Eastern Churches and only now has it allowed any Easterners even to penetrate its ranks! Since our Patriarchs are now full-fledged members of this Curial dicastery we are expected to be grateful. Yet it takes no genius to uncover the real truth and to see that the vast majority of its members are foreigners - strangers to all that we hold dear - and are from the Latin Church! When this Congregation holds a plenary session to decide a matter pertaining exclusively to one or another Eastern Catholic Patriarchate, it acts as though it were the legally constituted patriarchal Synod, and that the Patriarch responsible for this Patriarchate did not exist. Certainly, the respective Eastern Patriarch is now permitted to cast his ballot as a member of the Eastern Congregation but this is of little avail. What value is his solitary vote against those of some thirty or forty Latin prelates?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:13:35 PM by Nephi » Logged

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »

The Western Rite Orthodox don't have countries where they're the majority nor synods of their own.

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2014, 08:49:16 PM »

The Western Rite Orthodox don't have countries where they're the majority nor synods of their own.

Apples and (not even ) oranges.

Unlike the Greek Catholics who were functioning as Orthodox eparchial units with canonical bishops, priests and laity when they submitted to Rome in the 16th century, WRO is a nascent movement developed by two Orthodox jurisdictions in the 20th century. There was no migration of Roman Catholics with bishops, priests and laity "en masse" becoming WRO Orthodox bringing with them rubrics, liturgies and ecclesiastical structure and representations from the Orthodox regarding self rule  and autonomy.
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »

You might agree with me that partial unions are an accident, not the intent at least now. That's the truth behind things like Balamand. That said, we've got dueling true-church claims and the minority-rite churches have the right to be in peace (because of those respective claims). A reason we agree what the Communists did to your cousins was wrong (besides our true-church claim - not just liberal human-rights stuff). Educated Catholics don't think the Greek Catholics are permanent substitutes for the Orthodox. Orthodox, when they know WRO exists, make like they're the replacement for Catholics, ridiculous on the face of it. Reminds me of the Old Catholics in Holland and Germany in the late 1800s. They thought they were the true continuation of the Catholic Church and ended up just like the Episcopalians with women priests (and inadvertently spawning lots of little "independent Catholic" make-believe churches). That said, WRO is almost a good fit for conservative former Episcopalians who don't accept the Pope.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2014, 09:12:19 PM »

I've haven't hesitated to criticize Orthodoxy over WRO issues; but we do need to take into consideration varying circumstances. Consider: would you expect the tiny Bulgarian Catholic Church to behave just like the UGCC?

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »

Bulgaria's story's interesting here. Sort of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." When they were fighting the Turks for independence, as Orthodox they were under Constantinople as part of the empire, so a number of their churchmen became Catholic to get their own church, not under the empire. Then when the Bulgarian Orthodox broke away (C'ople declared them schismatic until 1946), most of the Bulgarian Catholics went back to the Orthodox. So the Bulgarian Catholic Church's a vestigial thing, probably latinized.

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »

When their own Synods can be vetoed at will by a Latin-dominated and Latin-run committee, then they're reservations even on their "own turf:"

I can't answer thoroughly, but here's an enlightening quote from Archbishop Zoghby's 1992 A Voice from the Byzantine East:

Though Vatican II was over years ago, we united Easterners find ourselves exactly where we were before the Council began. We are still governed by what is in effect a super-patriarchate called "the Congregation for the Eastern Churches." All through the conciliar texts we find ourselves being led back, by sly maneuvering and skillful plays on words, to that Eastern pseudo-canon law created and unjustly imposed upon us by that same Curial Congregation. And that very same Roman congregation continues to make itself the sole judge of many things in our Churches including the election of our bishops. Also, it denies our own Greek-Melkite Patriarch and his Synod complete jurisdiction over the emigrant faithful who today constitute the majority of the whole Melkite population. It merely superimposes its veto on any decision emanating from our patriarchal Synod and our will it renders null and void. In fact, nothing important can be decided by us without the agreement of this Curial Congregation!

[...] Wishing to honor the Eastern Catholic Patriarchs, the Romans have made them ex officio members of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches, dropping them into that body which has never had as much as one Eastern member. This is the Congregation that runs the Eastern Churches and only now has it allowed any Easterners even to penetrate its ranks! Since our Patriarchs are now full-fledged members of this Curial dicastery we are expected to be grateful. Yet it takes no genius to uncover the real truth and to see that the vast majority of its members are foreigners - strangers to all that we hold dear - and are from the Latin Church! When this Congregation holds a plenary session to decide a matter pertaining exclusively to one or another Eastern Catholic Patriarchate, it acts as though it were the legally constituted patriarchal Synod, and that the Patriarch responsible for this Patriarchate did not exist. Certainly, the respective Eastern Patriarch is now permitted to cast his ballot as a member of the Eastern Congregation but this is of little avail. What value is his solitary vote against those of some thirty or forty Latin prelates?

I remember that one.  Ouch, Abp. Zoghby gives em' the ol' one-two. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2014, 09:23:26 PM »

I've haven't hesitated to criticize Orthodoxy over WRO issues; but we do need to take into consideration varying circumstances. Consider: would you expect the tiny Bulgarian Catholic Church to behave just like the UGCC?

When have they behaved like that? 
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »

And this, despite ignoring that they're not analogous bodies, justifies the complete subjugation of the Eastern Catholic Churches, Synod and all?

You might agree with me that partial unions are an accident, not the intent at least now. That's the truth behind things like Balamand. That said, we've got dueling true-church claims and the minority-rite churches have the right to be in peace (because of those respective claims). A reason we agree what the Communists did to your cousins was wrong (besides our true-church claim - not just liberal human-rights stuff). Educated Catholics don't think the Greek Catholics are permanent substitutes for the Orthodox. Orthodox, when they know WRO exists, make like they're the replacement for Catholics, ridiculous on the face of it. Reminds me of the Old Catholics in Holland and Germany in the late 1800s. They thought they were the true continuation of the Catholic Church and ended up just like the Episcopalians with women priests (and inadvertently spawning lots of little "independent Catholic" make-believe churches). That said, WRO is almost a good fit for conservative former Episcopalians who don't accept the Pope.

And what does any of this have to do with pod's point that they're not analogous bodies?

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2014, 09:42:23 PM »

Hogwash.  That is an absurd assertion. Most Orthodox either don't know WRO exists and, in my experience, a majority of those who do, don't take it particularly seriously.

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »

And this, despite ignoring that they're not analogous bodies, justifies the complete subjugation of the Eastern Catholic Churches, Synod and all?

Not at all. As I wrote earlier, we have lots of room for improvement.

Hogwash.  That is an absurd assertion. Most Orthodox either don't know WRO exists and, in my experience, a majority of those who do, don't take it particularly seriously.

Actually we agree. I think those who do know it exists don't take it particularly seriously probably not out of any regard for us but because of anti-Westernism.

The church is at its best when it is the Church Local, run by custom. Simpatico with Orthodoxy. The thing is, your culture, while a good thing, is not co-terminous with the church. Maybe believing or at least acting like it is, is why Orthodoxy hits a wall in America with the third generation after the immigrants; the culture's gone so they leave. In droves. It also relates to your objection to the cult of Russia. In the Russian myth, their culture IS the church.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »

Actually we agree. I think those who do know it exists don't take it particularly seriously probably not out of any regard for us but because of anti-Westernism.

Agreed, but your original statement, that

Orthodox, when they know WRO exists, make like they're the replacement for Catholics, 

is still "hogwash". As a matter of fact, I think it is far more common for Catholics to speak of ECism as a replacement for Orthodoxy  Roll Eyes (that is, in fact, the way "Orthodox in communion with Rome" is usually used on the Catholic forum that I have spent the most time on).

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »

Hogwash.  That is an absurd assertion. Most Orthodox either don't know WRO exists and, in my experience, a majority of those who do, don't take it particularly seriously.

Agreed, but your original statement, that

Orthodox, when they know WRO exists, make like they're the replacement for Catholics,  

is still "hogwash". As a matter of fact, I think it is far more common for Catholics to speak of ECism as a replacement for Orthodoxy  Roll Eyes (that is, in fact, the way "Orthodox in communion with Rome" is usually used on the Catholic forum that I have spent the most time on).

I agree that's ****. Sounds like what I've heard about CAF. I never go there.

Partially veiled obscenity removed  -PtA

You are receiving this 14-day warning for obscenity. Remember that even partially veiled versions of forbidden words are forbidden. If you think this action wrong, please appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:29:39 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »

Sounds like what I've heard about CAF. I never go there.

More of a de-caf guy?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2014, 10:18:10 PM »

I don't entirely understand the question, but basically my point was that one cannot expect the Bulgarian Catholic Church, the Macedonian Catholic Church, the Albanian Catholic Church, etc to be just like the UGCC, since the circumstances are very different. Likewise I think Serge's comparison with the WRO was a bit unfair -- not that I'm proposing a WRO-EO double standard, but that the circumstances are different. (Although if someone made a comparison between, say, WRO and the Albanian Catholic Church, I wouldn't find said comparison so objectionable ... although I don't think I've ever heard that comparison anyhow.)

Father H
Archon

« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »

I don't entirely understand the question, but basically my point was that one cannot expect the Bulgarian Catholic Church, the Macedonian Catholic Church, the Albanian Catholic Church, etc to be just like the UGCC, since the circumstances are very different. Likewise I think Serge's comparison with the WRO was a bit unfair -- not that I'm proposing a WRO-EO double standard, but that the circumstances are different. (Although if someone made a comparison between, say, WRO and the Albanian Catholic Church, I wouldn't find said comparison so objectionable ... although I don't think I've ever heard that comparison anyhow.)

Understood, and I appreciate your candor.  I don't know any WRO people who feel that they are a replacement for Rome, as young fogey suggests.  Most that I know are simply people who are doctrinally in line with Orthodoxy and want to practice western rites approved by the Orthodox Church because it is closer to their hearts.  The Synods of 1838, 1848, and 1895 of Constantinople all approved of the usage of the Roman Rite within the Orthodox Church (among others, including Mozarabitic and Gallican), and the Moscow Synod approved of the usage of the modified Anglican rite. 

The reason why some Orthodox patriarchates are against western rites is because beating the drum against ErCs is without any hint of a double standard if we didn't have "western rite" practice at all.   And you are correct, the WRO is not comparable to the UGCC or the Melkites, but rather more to the Bulgarians or Albanian ErCs.   
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »

Well thank you.

The reason why some Orthodox patriarchates are against western rites is because beating the drum against ErCs is without any hint of a double standard if we didn't have "western rite" practice at all.   

Indeed one of the things that bother me most is that many Orthodox appear to reject anything that's even slightly similar to uniatism ... a kind of guilt-by-association as it were.

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »

Well thank you.

The reason why some Orthodox patriarchates are against western rites is because beating the drum against ErCs is without any hint of a double standard if we didn't have "western rite" practice at all.   

Indeed one of the things that bother me most is that many Orthodox appear to reject anything that's even slightly similar to uniatism ... a kind of guilt-by-association as it were.

Witnessing in a backhanded way to something I believe, that partial unions aren't the goal. Our hosts' hardliners have a point that, because of our dueling true-church claims, ecumenism is zero-sum. One side would join the other. The thing is making sure it wouldn't be like those mergers where one brand eventually goes away. That's not what we teach about the East.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2014, 11:35:09 PM »

Our hosts' hardliners have a point that, because of our dueling true-church claims, ecumenism is zero-sum. One side would join the other. The thing is making sure it wouldn't be like those mergers where one brand eventually goes away. That's not what we teach about the East.

Yes, in the sense that you clearly mean. But, of course, in another sense the big problem was precisely that some (Catholics anyhow) saw it as zero-sum, thus justifying proselytism/uniatism.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2014, 12:23:44 AM »

Well thank you.

Witnessing in a backhanded way to something I believe, that partial unions aren't the goal. Our hosts' hardliners have a point that, because of our dueling true-church claims, ecumenism is zero-sum. One side would join the other. The thing is making sure it wouldn't be like those mergers where one brand eventually goes away. That's not what we teach about the East.
only in our lifetime. And not all of you.
the lip service, that is.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:24:12 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »

Well thank you.

only in our lifetime.

Indeed. This is not your grandfather's Catholic-Orthodox relations.

(Or should I say "Vatican-Orthodox relations"?)

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »

The church's teachings can't change. What were the councils of Lyons and Ferrara-Florence trying to do? Reunite the Orthodox to the Catholic Church, not break them up. The difference now, though, is we don't pursue partial unions. (The Byzantine Catholic missions in Greece and Russia failed.) But the Ukrainians, for example, approached us for whatever reason (protection from the Poles), so the true-church claim means then, as now, we accept such conversions, individual and group, now albeit quietly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:20:52 AM by The young fogey » Logged

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: