OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mennonite  (Read 563 times) Average Rating: 0
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

St. Eudoxia of Moscow

« on: February 20, 2014, 12:39:54 PM »

Would anyone be able to recommend to me a book about Mennonite spirituality?

Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move if needed. My apologies if it's in the wrong place.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »

Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move if needed. My apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I would recommend 2 sources for spirituality, not exactly theology:

1. Golden Apples in Silver Bowls, which contains a myriad of testimonies of 17th century Swiss Anabaptists martyrs.  I was surprised to see how often they cited the Apocrypha as scripture.

2.  The Martyrs Mirror, a devotional tome of martyrologies of Anabaptists first printed in 1660s. 

Most Mennonite homes had or have these books so by reading them you will understand the things they value spiritually.

If you can, you can get a feel for spirituality in worship by reading the Ausbund or the Impartial Songbook, two colonial era Anabaptists hymnals. 

Hope this helps. 
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:25:45 PM »

I would recommend 2 sources for spirituality, not exactly theology:

1. Golden Apples in Silver Bowls, which contains a myriad of testimonies of 17th century Swiss Anabaptists martyrs.  I was surprised to see how often they cited the Apocrypha as scripture.

2.  The Martyrs Mirror, a devotional tome of martyrologies of Anabaptists first printed in 1660s. 

Most Mennonite homes had or have these books so by reading them you will understand the things they value spiritually.

If you can, you can get a feel for spirituality in worship by reading the Ausbund or the Impartial Songbook, two colonial era Anabaptists hymnals. 

Hope this helps. 

The Apocrypha was the most popular of all Scripture when you started getting it translated into English and to a lesser degree, German. I've heard and maybe some one can speak to whether this is true or false, but as printing Bibles started taking off, removing the Apocrypha lowered costs, but was offered as supplemental materials, and assuaged the concerns of religious leaders who were concerned how much of public entertainment and imagination was informed by the Apocrypha.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:07 PM »

Check the price on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Apples-Silver-Bowls-Rediscovery/dp/1884732054

Wow.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »

I don't know about the rest, but yes it is true that one reason they removed the Apocrypha from some versions was to cut costs. Apparently they were cutting other stuff though, because at some times/places it was decided that certain books had to be in there and that it was against the law to print the Bible without including all the books on the list.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:08:26 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:10:27 AM »

Don't buy that copy.  That price is outrageous.  Mine cost less than a tenth of that new and I'm sure you could get it cheaper too. 
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 07:11:54 AM »

Don't buy that copy.  That price is outrageous.  Mine cost less than a tenth of that new and I'm sure you could get it cheaper too. 

Remember, these are Mennonite books, so better to buy from a Mennonite bookseller rather than online.  You'd get a better deal that way. 
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

St. Eudoxia of Moscow

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I've searched for "Golden Apples..." all over the internet and have yet to find a copy going for any less than a couple hundred dollars! I do live relatively close to Lancaster County so I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm up there.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:59:59 PM »

Keep in mind that Mennonite is not the same as Anabaptist (just the most mainstream and populous sect, the best survivor). For a specifically Mennonite perspective, you might want to browse The Complete Works of Menno Simons and Bishop Daniel Kauffman's Doctrines of the Bible.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:01:14 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I've searched for "Golden Apples..." all over the internet and have yet to find a copy going for any less than a couple hundred dollars! I do live relatively close to Lancaster County so I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm up there.
Really? where at?  I live in York County.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Tags: Mennonites 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: