OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:49:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So how's your fast going?  (Read 2698 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: March 31, 2005, 10:55:17 PM »

I can't believe lent is almost halfway through. 

People told me that the first week would be the hardest and that turned out to be true for me.  Now I guess I've become accustomed to a vegan diet so I don't miss cheese and meat very much. 

Although I should confess that I'm already planning what I'm going to eat on Pascha. 

How's the fast going for you guys? 

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 03:44:05 AM »

Pretty much as for you. I'm finding the fast reasonably easy to keep, but right from the beginning (particularly when we had to prepare the cabbages for sarmale - they have to be preserved in salt like sauerkraut, but whole heads not grated and it takes 4 weeks minimum) I'v also been planning my food for Pascha. I occasionally find myself looking forward to roast lamb, sarmale and pasc-â, and then think I really ought to concentrate on Lent, not on 4 weeks on from now. The flesh is, unfortunately, weak.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 10:30:49 PM »

It seems I'm developing a habit of getting sick during fasting times...at any rate, Bright Week is also Finals Week for me, so it's imminent arrival is bittersweet.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 10:31:40 PM by MsGuided » Logged

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 10:38:05 PM »

It has been rather strenuous for me since along with the foods we give up for Lent I also gave up caffeine and alcohol both of which I used pretty regularly. Mt.Dew in the morning to wake up, beer in the evening to relax. At first it was hell. I would get up and feel tired and by evening I was exhausted. Now I find myself going to bed earlier but I have slowly overcome the exhaustion and started walking three or four miles a day for my health. All-in-all I feel like my system is getting cleaned out. I really have not thought about meat or dairy. I usually find myself at the end of the fasts feeling like I could live as a vegan for the rest of my life though after a few weeks I am usually back to eating meat and cheese and drinking milk.
By the way if you want a good side dish on the weekends during fasts try fried Cauliflower. I know it may not sound good but believe me it is delicious.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 11:24:56 AM »

Lent's going alright for me, but then, I'm a bit lazy and eat fish and some cheese (no milk though, yogurt, etc, I'm talking just the cheese you get automatically when you get pre-made salads or sandwiches, which, after all the chemicals and processing its getting, is hardly cheese at all (not that I'm justifying it :-)  )), all weeks but the first and last weeks of lent.  However, cutting back on the going out and drinking hasn't been as hard as I expected, and now I'm quite used to being in bed by 11 every night (might explain why I can wake up now at 6:30 to go to the gym... this used to be impossible.). 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 01:26:03 PM »

Hmm, the strongest enemy of Lenten periods for me is my neighborhood... I live in a city settled by Italian immigrants, and there is a number of gorgeous pizzerie in the surroundings.  Evil
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 01:56:39 PM »

This fast was more difficult than last year, at this time last year I had been a vegetarian for 14 years. (Vegetarian of the dairy eating variety) So giving up dairy products wasn't all that difficult. It was after the fast last year that prompted me to go back to meat, the smell of the roasting pasha lamb made my tofurky sausage seem lackluster and made me realize that I needed to celebrate properly. Can I say again how good that lamb smelled?

I'm doing my best to stay away from Tv with the exception of the news and education programs, which works and sometimes doesn't. My job requires that I'm online, so staying away from the 'net is rather difficult.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 06:34:24 PM »

ew tofurky sausage. If you're trying to replace meat in your diet with fake meat that looks and tastes and is textured approximately like meat, it probably means you weren't cut out to be a vegetarian anyway. Wink

~the lacto-ovo vegetarian since childhood who has no desire to eat meat of any sort, including fake

Qui cantat, bis orat
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 08:05:47 AM »

Ugh dont ask. :'(  Hard to do wth 5 kids, 4 under age 10.  And we had cheese at the after church hour on Sunday.  Bad me.  Someone tell me how I am supposed to put on an after Baptismal gathering if it's Lent?  ACK! I can just see my Lutheran in laws..."what, no meatballs?"  How about a nice tofu stir fry, Mom?  Cheesy
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 01:03:46 PM »

Offer them all the food you want! Just have enough Lenten options for those who will be attending who are fasting. Middle Eastern food is especially well suited to being yummy and lenten since that's where the practice originated. Fresh veggies and fruit, pita and hummus or baba ganoush, potato and onion mini perogi, lenten cakes, etc...then you can have the deli-meat n cheese tray and swedish meatballs on the other end of the table.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 07:38:13 AM »

I'm doing a mild fast this year.

I'm stlil eating dairy products, only because the last time I fasted in full, I had to stop just a week in after losing too much weight and feeling too weak.

I'm sure the Lord understands, as I am still sacrificing.

Choirfiend, yes I have been a lot of homemade Lebanese food lately. We make dishes out of every vegetable it seems.   Tongue
evergreen32

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »

Hello all. I'm a convert from Protestantism, not yet a catechumen, since there's no Orthodox church nearby and I'm waiting until I move and can be part of a community.

Being a baby to Orthodoxy and with my (Coptic Orthodox) boyfriend's advice, I decided to participate in this fast by eliminating sweets along with keeping the usual Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm a big sweet-a-holic, or thought I was, and I was surprised and embarrassed how hard it was at first. Even with so small a beginning, I'm finding that I'm more aware of sin and weakness in general and more desirous to pray. It's just enough disruption every day (not the total up-ending as you're all experiencing, of course!) that it's serving the purpose as an initial step.

My craving for sweets has all but disappeared, too! That's something I hadn't imagined could happen.  The fasts are one of the most daunting things to me about Orthodoxy, but I can see why people say it's a joyful time.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »

Well
Outback Steakhouse commercials on tv are becoming like Victoria's Secret commercials - I have to turn my head away!
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: