OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 05:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your opinion of Christian rock?  (Read 1246 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 07:13:22 AM »

Christian rock like any genre has a high noise to signal ratio, but I find Christian CCM including rock has so much mediocrity that I stay away from most of it.  I do not listen to much Christan music because it just does not inspire me outside of chants and old African American gospel hymns.

I am still waiting for some great artistic Christian rock/metal/jazz/blues/hip-hop/IDM.

The music that connects me with with God the most is TOOL which whist not the most Christian friendly band, they do have a depth and and open interpretation of their music that I can fill in with Jesus as the point of light and enlightenment.

While on the subject If anyone has any recommendations for good artistic Christian music in general I wold love to explode and check them out. 

Current 93

Virgin Black
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »

I remember Jack Chick and his groupies condemning it as satanic; just sayin'...

Yeah, Lewis Siffer and his "Killer Rock" organization were exposed in one of his tracts.

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »

Yinz just haven't been exposed to good Christian rock.

But I can change that :3

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »

To the OP- I have a nostalgic soft-spot for some Christian rock from the mid-90s. dc Talk's Jesus Freak actually had some pretty good songwriting on it, though the lyrics occasionally dipped into the realm of banal (likewise from a Christian rap standpoint DC Talk's Free At Last was a pretty adventurous album for the time period for any rap album, Christian or secular), Supernatural was less good but still had some standout tracks. The Newsboys albums from Not Ashamed to Take Me To Your Leader provided some excellent examples of not only tight songwriting, but clever lyricism with only the occasional banality (mostly on Not Ashamed). Jars of Clay's self-titled was probably the best non-Unplugged(TM) acoustic rock album of the '90s. Pretty much anything from Tooth'n Nail records' mid 90s output I could still put in my playlist today.

+1

Those were the golden years...

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »

Hmm. In my evangelical subculture teenie bopper years I was listening to a lot of Christian pop.

Not something I like to remember now xD

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »

Christian rock like any genre has a high noise to signal ratio, but I find Christian CCM including rock has so much mediocrity that I stay away from most of it.  I do not listen to much Christan music because it just does not inspire me outside of chants and old African American gospel hymns.

I am still waiting for some great artistic Christian rock/metal/jazz/blues/hip-hop/IDM.

The music that connects me with with God the most is TOOL which whist not the most Christian friendly band, they do have a depth and and open interpretation of their music that I can fill in with Jesus as the point of light and enlightenment.

While on the subject If anyone has any recommendations for good artistic Christian music in general I wold love to explode and check them out. 

Current 93

Virgin Black

Extol
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: