OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 10:09:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: child development  (Read 851 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:32:36 AM »

So id love some help with very good books on child development and rearing.

Websites welcome too.

I'd love an exhaustive book with good footnotes. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:49:47 AM »

I sent you an email.

Smiley
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:40:56 AM »

Berry Brazelton wrote an excellent book on the subject. It is a nice, simple book on infant development: http://www.amazon.com/Touchpoints-Birth-Three-T-Berry-Brazelton/dp/0738210498/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392465377&sr=8-1&keywords=berry+t+brazelton

Honestly, you have to narrow your focus a bit because books are typically written from a parenting approach. I personally like Dr. Sears, but we are attachment parenting people.

http://www.askdrsears.com/

I have a textbook on infant and adolescent developmental psychology that looks pretty good too:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0534526055/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1C5VWBQGN8M2L&coliid=I30EI5F6PG9SDV

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 11:45:05 AM »

I agree on Dr. Brazelton.  All of ours are older (14 to 21 now) but he had good guidance when they were new.  We also had "What to Expect the First Year" and I think that there was a volume for the next couple of years after that.  The mists of time (and giving away baby/toddler books to others) have blurred some memories.
 Smiley

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:39:35 AM »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help.  Especially thanks for the email! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Cackles
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »

Websites welcome too.

You dont need books to tell you how to raise kids. They'll just make you over paranoid. People on the Intemet are the WORST sources for info. They will convince you your child has a disorder, is a slow learner, and take the fun out of having children (which is a curse). Too many opinions on raising a child can work against them.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »

Elder Porphyrios, the Saintly Greek monk gave some advice for Parents on upbringing:

http://www.globalusers.com/porfirios.htm

Wish I was a better Parent - too late now  - damage already done - Lord have mercy!

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 01:20:32 AM »

Websites welcome too.

You dont need books to tell you how to raise kids. They'll just make you over paranoid. People on the Intemet are the WORST sources for info. They will convince you your child has a disorder, is a slow learner, and take the fun out of having children (which is a curse). Too many opinions on raising a child can work against them.

I think it's still worthwhile for us to have a conversation about it, and to help each other as christians who are conscientious about rearing children the right way.  If a books helps with that, I think that's something we should share with each other. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:03:22 AM »

Websites welcome too.

I think it's still worthwhile for us to have a conversation about it, and to help each other as christians who are conscientious about rearing children the right way.  If a books helps with that, I think that's something we should share with each other. 

Actually this was of good value:

"Elder Porhyrios says also that parents should also pray to God for their children. Their children’s soul feels this prayer that secretly their parents sent. The children feel more secure when their parents (and especially their mother) pray for them."

I assume that most monks and elders have secret information and teachings that arent shared. Sounds like the above was part of that. Nice to add to my tool chest.

The problem with books and systems to raising your kids is it can possibly lead you to away from God if it goes too far. You dont want to do this based on selfish motivation purposed. God blesses the childs potential. Trying to think that buying a toy or 'training' him to be gifted could lead to idolatry and a curse.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

"Elder Porhyrios says also that parents should also pray to God for their children. Their children’s soul feels this prayer that secretly their parents sent. The children feel more secure when their parents (and especially their mother) pray for them."

I assume that most monks and elders have secret information and teachings that arent shared. Sounds like the above was part of that. Nice to add to my tool chest.

Why do you assume that? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:22 PM »

Spiritual Counsels Vol. 4 Family Life 

STS Press

Elder Paisios

Holy Monastery Evangelist John the Theologian

Souroti, Thessaloniki, Greece
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »

Why do you assume that?  

Because that's always been the Jewish tradition. You dont open all your books and knowlege to laypersons loke they do in Islam. The bible doesnt explain 'why' so much. Learning why is for a priest which is done through inside information.

The bible mentions 'souls', but it never explains how they work. Same with Deamons. How dod the Church get access to all the Jewish theology and studies? Inside knowledge from Rabbi's that how.

The Orthodox seem to work for their own Church body, not so much the laypeople. This method is actually a Jewish Traditions. If you hear the Rabbi's or Orthodox priests speak, you hear very few Bible quotes which is a good thing for several reasons, but thats another topic. Joel Olesteen also doesnt quote from the Bible. Despite him supposedly researching all day and night in his study. Olesteen is righteous. He actions are spot on woth Jewish Teachings. I dont agree with being saved and his theology of course, but he's righteous in many ways.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:12:55 AM by Cackles » Logged

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »

The Orthodox seem to work for their own Church body, not so much the laypeople. This method is actually a Jewish Traditions. If you hear the Rabbi's or Orthodox priests speak, you hear very few Bible quotes which is a good thing for several reasons, but thats another topic. Joel Olesteen also doesnt quote from the Bible. Despite him supposedly researching all day and night in his study. Olesteen is righteous. He actions are spot on woth Jewish Teachings. I dont agree with being saved and his theology of course, but he's righteous in many ways.

The laypeople are part of the Church body. And one would think, if you like an author so much, you'd be able to spell their name right. Roll Eyes

I never read many books on child development. The NHS gives a birth-to-five guide to every new mother, which covers pretty much all the necessary on care and milestones. Beyond that, my favourite was The Yummy Mummy's Survival Guide. Very specifically geared towards mothers of babies and toddlers, so not much use to dads or other family, but an extremely funny and useful read.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »

The laypeople are part of the Church body. And one would think, if you like an author so much, you'd be able to spell their name right. Roll Eyes

I never read many books on child development. The NHS gives a birth-to-five guide to every new mother, which covers pretty much all the necessary on care and milestones. Beyond that, my favourite was The Yummy Mummy's Survival Guide. Very specifically geared towards mothers of babies and toddlers, so not much use to dads or other family, but an extremely funny and useful read.

Here is the description of the secular feminist book your recommending:

This indispensable guide is the stylist, personal trainer, box of anti-depressants, bar of chocolate and best friend which every woman can carry around in her handbag. Because becoming a mother doesn't mean you stop wanting to look and feel fabulous – it just becomes a little trickier! ... The only books available were so dreary, dull and uninspiring, and seemed to imply that I would love being at home all day covered in baby sick, with saggy boobs and bad hair, and wouldn't miss the Old Me

This underlies all themsentiment in the other thread. This selfish, secular humanist, anti-family, utter selfish moral system is simply against the Church and Christianity. These books are not Kosher and IMO something that shouldnt be read by anyone. No different than a Hindu book. They are all as blasphemous in my eyes and lead to breaking of the first commandment. Even if its disguised as a childs book.

However it should be noted, if the book isnt kosher, its still OK to read it and not a real sin because its not what goes into, its what comes out of you. Most people are not strong or wise enough to read that kind of anti-christian propoganda and not have it eventuall effect them so its best to keep with kosher reading material - especially for women...

Loving God is all about sacrafice. Marriage is all about sacrafice. Raising children is all about sacrifice. This is what we do to serve God. If you want to disobey that and get into new age 'new mom' without the Dad 'keep the old self', then that is anti-Christian teachings of another religion and while its not a sin to read, it can only lead you into darkness and away from God's smile. It's shines like a light on your soul. When you turn away from God, your soul loses the light and goes into darkness. Then the curses set in. If you read the book, the light shines a bit less on your soul. Although its not a sin, its a path for most to darkness (unless you are very strong spiritually and wise. Studying the real kabbalah in Israel is a minimum of 50 years old because it can so easily lead you into darkness and theres no coming back).

I object when ever someone recommends books or material that can lead people into darkness. I do it because I have to and God expects it from me. I'd rather just not say anything, but it's a duty that God expexts.

Lol i just went back to check a review of the book just to make sure I wasnt being unfair, and sure enough:

The book is full of negativity towards pregnancy and motherhood thus occasional play with words totally defeats the point of being funny. If it is all so painful, unpleasant, ugly and difficult why bother having three kids? Have one and forget such a dreadful experience. Reading this book will not make you a happier inspired and empowered, wanting to have children. The author makes herself believe she is there to tell you the real truth about motherhood and instead sounds like someone who has completely failed to enjoy it.

This is a book that is Satan inspired, meant to destroy a womans spirit, encourage her divorce, and destroy lives and fsmilies. Thats what the book is about. I dont recommend it personally.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »

Is Cackles Pat Robertson?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

Here is the description of the secular feminist book your recommending:

This indispensable guide is the stylist, personal trainer, box of anti-depressants, bar of chocolate and best friend which every woman can carry around in her handbag. Because becoming a mother doesn't mean you stop wanting to look and feel fabulous – it just becomes a little trickier! ... The only books available were so dreary, dull and uninspiring, and seemed to imply that I would love being at home all day covered in baby sick, with saggy boobs and bad hair, and wouldn't miss the Old Me

This underlies all themsentiment in the other thread. This selfish, secular humanist, anti-family, utter selfish moral system is simply against the Church and Christianity. These books are not Kosher and IMO something that shouldnt be read by anyone. No different than a Hindu book. They are all as blasphemous in my eyes and lead to breaking of the first commandment. Even if its disguised as a childs book.

However it should be noted, if the book isnt kosher, its still OK to read it and not a real sin because its not what goes into, its what comes out of you. Most people are not strong or wise enough to read that kind of anti-christian propoganda and not have it eventuall effect them so its best to keep with kosher reading material - especially for women...

Loving God is all about sacrafice. Marriage is all about sacrafice. Raising children is all about sacrifice. This is what we do to serve God. If you want to disobey that and get into new age 'new mom' without the Dad 'keep the old self', then that is anti-Christian teachings of another religion and while its not a sin to read, it can only lead you into darkness and away from God's smile. It's shines like a light on your soul. When you turn away from God, your soul loses the light and goes into darkness. Then the curses set in. If you read the book, the light shines a bit less on your soul. Although its not a sin, its a path for most to darkness (unless you are very strong spiritually and wise. Studying the real kabbalah in Israel is a minimum of 50 years old because it can so easily lead you into darkness and theres no coming back).

I object when ever someone recommends books or material that can lead people into darkness. I do it because I have to and God expects it from me. I'd rather just not say anything, but it's a duty that God expexts.

Lol i just went back to check a review of the book just to make sure I wasnt being unfair, and sure enough:

The book is full of negativity towards pregnancy and motherhood thus occasional play with words totally defeats the point of being funny. If it is all so painful, unpleasant, ugly and difficult why bother having three kids? Have one and forget such a dreadful experience. Reading this book will not make you a happier inspired and empowered, wanting to have children. The author makes herself believe she is there to tell you the real truth about motherhood and instead sounds like someone who has completely failed to enjoy it.

This is a book that is Satan inspired, meant to destroy a womans spirit, encourage her divorce, and destroy lives and fsmilies. Thats what the book is about. I dont recommend it personally.

See? I told you it would do nothing for you! Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »

But what has it really done for you?   Wink

The stuff i mention sounds crazy and I know i sound like an odd ball, but i'm base my personal opinion off a collection of real teachings (not heretical Gnostisim etc). Lets put it this way, a woman can do a whole bunch of 'bad' things, but they arent sins and wont lead you into darkness. But a book that promotes any kind of negativity on a mothers role as a wife and mother, the nature of a woman that God created her for, to give life. Eve means life (giver).

To have a book in the house that in any way defiles Gods creation is one of those few things that are 'haram' or forbidden from being in the house - its no different than Ouiji board or Terrot cards.

Women look to older women for personal advice (men arent allowed). I know she has 3 kids and she's your senior, but she's not your sister serving God in this life. If she gives advice to degrade the experience of motherhood in the eyes of women and promotes selfishness, and things like removing headrests that put kids in danger, then God will take this up with her. But shes not someone to look up to, or have her works in in your house. TV is ok and entertainment. So is a lot of other viewing you might be surprised. But seeking advice from a Humanist who promotes going ofter you soul, defiling the teachings of Orthodox, and furthermore shedding your role under God as negative, then this defiles God.

Seeking advice on something so grand and on a spiritual level from a non kosher woman defiles God as well as leads you into darkness is 'haram'. Not an actual sin though. It's the path it leads down. God recognizes this before the sin happens (see cain and abel). His shinning light is his smile on you and your blessing. The book isnt a sin in itself, neither is reading it, but it dims the light and the smile from God. The thoughts of these people will alienate you from you husband. When woman doesnt have a husband, shes much more likely to seek advice from other women and life coach types which is secular and unfulfilling. The woman is lost, and the gurus are there to tell her how great she is. But it's a smoke screen and not fulfilling.

If a woman is married, she has almost no obligation aside from believing in YHWH because she is already so righteous. She's the Jewel of Gods creation. She gives life to the world just like God gives life. Men and women have different roles before God, and we're not equal.

I could stretch it even further and suggest that a woman is so special, she can rightfully marry any man, regardless of his religion, and even convert to that religion, as long as he believes in YHWH the creator (this would exlude Mormons). I would even go further and say that even if the man was to go to hellfire for his religion, the wife would still go to heaven. Men arent allowed to do this.

But she is only righteous when she's with her husband. When she's not, then she tends to listen to snakes and get the wrong idea. In todays world of Secular Humanism (equality), the preaching of this 'religion' is buried in everything. Its goal is to corrupt everything good and go polar opposite what God wants (which is a sign of Satan).

So the woman can do pretty much anything, but the one thing, to have haram in the house that defiles Gods creation... I personally categorize it with Terrot cards or a Ouiji Board. Just my opinion of course..

Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 02:09:07 AM »

But what has it really done for you?   Wink

It has helped me maintain my sanity and my sense of humour during a time when both were vulnerable, and offered me a lot of culture-specific practical tips.

Your opinion is based on nothing but the one-star reviews the book got on Amazon. Not the ones by people who did find it useful, and certainly not on reading it for yourself. I don't really care for your wild imaginings.

Also, spellcheck is your friend.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:09:43 AM by Arachne » Logged

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 07:21:37 AM »

But what has it really done for you?   Wink

It has helped me maintain my sanity and my sense of humour during a time when both were vulnerable, and offered me a lot of culture-specific practical tips.

Your opinion is based on nothing but the one-star reviews the book got on Amazon. Not the ones by people who did find it useful, and certainly not on reading it for yourself. I don't really care for your wild imaginings.

Also, spellcheck is your friend.

Half of all the reviews of the book were 1 star claiming that the author was negative towards motherhood which is a sacred role under God. Its not good or humorous to defile this sacred blessing under God.

The reason why hou were losing your sanity and sense of humor is very simple:

"To the woman He said, I will greatly multiply your grief and your suffering in pregnancy and the pangs of childbearing; with spasms of distress you will bring forth children. "

This is part of being a woman. A curse from God. Are these crazy ramblings?

Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:16 AM »

Half of all the reviews of the book were 1 star claiming that the author was negative towards motherhood which is a sacred role under God. Its not good or humorous to defile this sacred blessing under God.

And the other half said how helpful it was.

I didn't bother to read all the 1-star reviews, but of what I skimmed, most came from first-time pregnant women. I suspect that their beef was that the book presented the work of mothering as something other than their rosy, rainbow-pooping visions ahead. I hope their return to earth was not too brusque.

The reason why hou were losing your sanity and sense of humor is very simple:

"To the woman He said, I will greatly multiply your grief and your suffering in pregnancy and the pangs of childbearing; with spasms of distress you will bring forth children. "

This is part of being a woman. A curse from God. Are these crazy ramblings?

You're calling pregnancy and childbearing a blessing, and on the next breath, a curse. Make up your mind.

Also, this is the ORTHODOX family board, and the OP was very specific on the purpose of this thread. If you cannot contribute to it, at least refrain from derailing it with un-Orthodox flights of fancy.

Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »

http://www.zoepress.us/Zoe_Press_Home_Page.html
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: