OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 10:45:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "From Jesus to Christ" - Newsweek  (Read 1801 times) Average Rating: 0
TonyS
High Elder

« on: March 21, 2005, 06:04:23 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7244999/site/newsweek/?GT1=6305

Just saw it.  Probably many have already.  Those who don't use MSN might miss it.  It is seasonal.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 08:46:04 PM »

I read it. Would have no value if presented in a scientific conference or if used for real research, but again, those who get their information from msnbc do not have a clear understanding or methodology in verifying information. This includes a large portion of the population.

But this is not the real question. Who is behind this growing campaign targeting the christian faith and why can't the jewish or muslim faith be subject to the same defamation ? Any article that would deal with any religion other than christianity in the same manner as this article or Dan Brown's hoax will be labeled with all kind of names ? Why is the same protection not extended to christians ?

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:29:06 AM »

As often said, we Christians are always the target of such things because we are called by Christ to be not of this world, as said by Saint Paul, but indeed to be conformed to Christ. So that is why the world does not understand us, as the saint again emphasizes.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 08:58:58 AM »

But this is not the real question. Who is behind this growing campaign targeting the christian faith and why can't the jewish or muslim faith be subject to the same defamation ? Any article that would deal with any religion other than christianity in the same manner as this article or Dan Brown's hoax will be labeled with all kind of names ? Why is the same protection not extended to christians ?

I quite agree. What really gets on my nerves, though, is that the media seem to have carte blanche when it comes to insulting Christianity even during our most holy days. It's rare that I get through an Easter or Christmas season without seeing some blasphemy aimed at Christ, the Theotokos or some aspect of our faith, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone insult Mohammad during ramadan. It seems that we must be tolerant of all faiths except Christianity, intolerance of which is used as a medal of honour by those who see themselves as precisely so tolerant of other faiths.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 03:55:38 PM »

For a Newsweek article, I liked the fact that it didn't have a liberal/anti-Christian bias. It actually takes the resurrection as more or less a historical fact.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 04:25:59 PM »

James,

That's exactly what I said on Western Easter when they brought Elaine Pagels on TV to talk about how silly it all was. I was like "can you imagine bringing in a scholar on the start of Passover to discuss how the exodus never actually happened?" It's so tasteless.

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 10:01:48 AM »

Yeah, but here's the deal...The critics of traditional Christianity are always liberal so-called Christians; wolves in sheep's clothing who aren't just heretics - they are apostates. Yet they do not have the courage to leave the church; they continue to wear the collar and poison the well.

The liberal media don't have to go very far to find the critics. And the unwary sheep, because they LIKE to be told that they can practice promiscuity and materailism and selfishness, swallow this poison like Jonestown coolaid because such dismissing of traditional doctrine also allows them to dispose of traditional morals and ethics.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »

Actually, this article is among the better ones in the secular media. If I recall correctly, Newsweek is usually more sympathetic to traditional doctrine than Time.

This article is actually a very nuanced apologetic by a believing writer being very subtle so as not to be squashed or re-writen by his editors; Or, it is a very sympathetic piece by a seeker being persuaded by the truth.

As an above post said, at least he seems to take the resurrection as a fact throughout the article.

But I still stand by what I said above about the wolves in sheeps clothing and their being ready allies to secular critics of Christianity. It just doesn't apply all that much in relation to this article. The title and the equivocating ending are the worst parts of this article.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 10:40:50 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 10:49:36 AM »

Another point, the article is not all that complimentary toward the apostles. But the fact is they all did flee. I didn't have the proper respect for the apostles as a protestant for good reason. Without holy tradition to inform you of how great they became, if left with just the New Testament presentation of them, they come off as dolts (they NEVER "get" what Christ is teaching them) or cowards (except for John, Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus, the first didn't abandon Jesus, but stayed with the women at the cross,the latter two, thought not apostles, ask for the body). Of course throughout the New Testament, St. Paul's courage and lucidity are abundantly evident (probably also why so many protestants are so "Pauline" in their theology).

Since becoming Orthodox I have learned how great the apostles became as new men in Christ and I now venerate them and love them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 10:53:05 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 10:52:09 AM »

Also, there are alot of bitter ex-Catholics in America, that contribute to the seemingly anti-Christian bias.

The legalistic, no-questions-allowed, miss mass once, or otherwise screw up, and you are going to hell attitude many received pre-Vatican II, followed by the nearly Protestant rennovations after Vatican II left alot of Catholics bitter, bewildered, or blase. This allowed the truly hostile ex-Catholics the freedom to send off their vollies with no repurcussions.

Then followed by the Jimmy Swaggarts, Jim Bakers, etc. for immoral swindlers in the name of Chrisitianity; and the Falwells and Robertson's as political kingpins, meddlers and buffoons -- the Christian community has given the liberals in the church alot of targets and the secular media alot of fodder.

Let us pray for them and for ourselves.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 11:00:53 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 12:00:42 PM »

Then followed by the Jimmy Swaggarts, Jim Bakers, etc. for immoral swindlers in the name of Chrisitianity; and the Falwells and Robertson's as political kingpins, meddlers and buffoons -- the Christian community has given the liberals in the church alot of targets and the secular media alot of fodder.

Let us pray for them and for ourselves.

I can't help but think that the "liberal wolves in sheep's clothing" feel pigeon-holed into their position because of the two-headed beast of our political (party) system, where one feels obligated to either support the party that is moral but destroys the environment, hates the poor, are a bunch of Pharisees OR support the party who thinks morality is what you think it is, all big business is evil and ruled by a bunch of scary totalitarian Zionists.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 07:36:39 PM »

Yeah, but here's the deal...The critics of traditional Christianity are always liberal so-called Christians; wolves in sheep's clothing who aren't just heretics - they are apostates. Yet they do not have the courage to leave the church; they continue to wear the collar and poison the well.

It bewilders me that John Dominic Crossan has not be excommunicated from the Catholic Church. Every book from the Jesus Seminiar is another stepping stone on the road to hell.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 07:37:39 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 09:21:19 PM »

If you would like an example of how good scholarship trounces the Jesus Seminar, I would recomend this debate between William Lane Craig and John Dominic Crossan in which Crossan does not even seriously attempt to refute Craig's arguments nor defend his own. It kind of makes you wonder.:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0801021758/qid=1115513991/sr=5-1/ref=cm_lm_asin/104-3263111-6825564?v=glance

William Lane Craig is a beast!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 09:24:04 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 10:17:45 AM »

Another excellent critic of the Jesus Seminar is Luke Timothy Johnson
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)